Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2019 4:19:03 PM EDT
I moved from one county to another, and have a permit issued from the previous.  Went to new county sheriff to change permit to new address.  They said I need to go through the whole process all over again, including the proof of training that last bit which I know is certainly not true.  Can't find anything in the law, or on DPS's website and DPS isn't getting back to me after leaving messages for clarification on how this is supposed to work.

Does anyone have info on how moving counties within the same State works?  My understanding is it's an Iowa permit, Sheriff just does the background check/investigates.  Or do I just suck it up and do what the new Sheriff's office says to?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sec. 15.  NEW SECTION.  724.14  Nonprofessional permit ====
change of residence to another county.

If a permit holder of a nonprofessional permit to carry
weapons changes residences from one county to another county
after the issuance of the permit, the department of public
safety shall by rule specify the procedure to transfer the
regulation of the holder's permit to another sheriff for the
purposes of issuing a renewal or duplicate permit, or complying
with section 724.13.

Full text of 2017 update:
https://legiscan.com/IA/text/HF517/id/1590115
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sec. 15.  NEW SECTION.  724.14  Nonprofessional permit ====
change of residence to another county.

If a permit holder of a nonprofessional permit to carry
weapons changes residences from one county to another county
after the issuance of the permit, the department of public
safety shall by rule specify the procedure to transfer the
regulation of the holder's permit to another sheriff for the
purposes of issuing a renewal or duplicate permit, or complying
with section 724.13.

Full text of 2017 update:
https://legiscan.com/IA/text/HF517/id/1590115
View Quote
You Sir are my hero.  I have no idea how I missed that in the law, but I am glad you pointed it out.  Looks like I am printing this to take back to the Sheriff's office.

Edit:  So the question arises on what the procedure is that DPS is supposed to specify, I called DPS again leaving another message asking for this procedure.  Since they blew me off the other day I don't expect a response; as it is written I am sure the Sheriff can just say the procedure is whatever they say it is.  Frustrating.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
What county?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What county?
View Quote
Mills
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mills
View Quote
Not the one I was expecting.  In fairness, I suspect most sheriffs find the permit process a pain the neck and most assuredly not a high priority item.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Try posting your question in the Iowa Firearms Coalition FB group, they were instrumental in getting that law passed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifc2a/
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I would think it would be reasonable to simply issue a replacement in your new county assuming the permit is still active and not expired. If so the $25.00 fee would apply. I would get a copy of the training record you provided to the issuing county that you received your permit from, you should not have to get new training, although training is never a bad idea, especially with the permit law changes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
When my wife and I moved two years ago the county we moved to told us it was still valid and they werent going to spend their time or our money issuing a replacement, and just to come back when it was time to renew.

Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I moved from Bremer to Black Hawk county. Is there a time limit that we have to change residences?
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't believe the new permits issued by the state have city and street addresses on them.  So why the requirement to update if you have the new permit?

They do say what county sheriff issued them on the permits.

You should update your DL to your new address.  Form 4473 requires your current legal address on your DL or you will have to provide Supplemental Documentation of valid government-issued documents.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't believe the new permits issued by the state have city and street addresses on them.  So why the requirement to update if you have the new permit?

They do say what county sheriff issued them on the permits.

You should update your DL to your new address.  Form 4473 requires your current legal address on your DL or you will have to provide Supplemental Documentation of valid government-issued documents.
View Quote
Yep. No need to update your permit if it's still valid. Just wait until renewal time and get a new one issued.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep. No need to update your permit if it's still valid. Just wait until renewal time and get a new one issued.
View Quote
This is the way I understood it when I moved north.  Permit is valid till expiration date as long as you remain a resident of IA. Barring any major run-ins with the Law of course.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is the way I understood it when I moved north.  Permit is valid till expiration date as long as you remain a resident of IA. Barring any major run-ins with the Law of course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years ago when I moved out to Adel, I went to the Sheriff's to update my carry permit before I went to pick up a lower. The clerk informed me it wasn't needed, I explained I was picking up a firearm, and needed my ID current. She told me if my DL was updated, that would be fine. She was correct.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top