Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2019 8:30:29 PM EDT
Next month I will be travailing to
Dragoon Trail Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America (Ankeny Ikes)
4857 NE 110th Ave,
Elkhart, IA 50073

I will be coming south on I29 from SD and google says the best two paths thru Iowa are I29 to Hwy 20 at Sioux City east to I35 then south or I29 south to I80 thru Des Moines then north on I35.  The second path shows as 13 more miles and 12 more min but is all interstate.

I have never used 20 thru Iowa but Iv heard some if not all is built to interstate standards.  Thoughts on what would be the best way to go?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
20 to 35is hands down better in every way!

80 is horrible and 20 is so smooth!

On Iowa’s highway and interstates everyday!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd probably take 20 also. It's 4 lane across the whole state now.

*Disclaimer: I've never been on it west of Ft Dodge
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I make the commute from Sioux City to the Des Moines/Ankeny area about every other month.  Hwy 20 to I-35 is the ONLY way I would do it.  Avoid I-80 at all costs unless you have door gunners.  Far too many idiots per hwy mile.

Hwy 20 is 4 lane all the way across.  Once you get east of Sioux City traffic is very mild.  As you come east the only slow spots are Lawton (55 MPH through town), Moville (4 way stop) and Correctionville (55/45 through town).  Other than that it's pretty much 65 MPH.  If you need to stop for a break you have Lawton, Moville, Correctionville, Holstein, Early, Rockwell City exit and the Webster city exit.  Food and fuel at all of those.  I-35 south stops would be at Jewell, Story City and Ames.  Again food and fuel at all of those.

Get off I-35 at exit 96 (Elkhart) and go east about 2 1/2 miles to town.

Be very careful coming through Sioux City on I-29.  Lots of construction and speed cameras.  Also, be aware that when you get off of HWY 75 (the connection between I-29 and HWY 20) the speed limit drops to 55 MPH fro a mile or so.  Woodbury County and ISP have a presence there often.

Have a safe trip.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I make the commute from Sioux City to the Des Moines/Ankeny area about every other month.  Hwy 20 to I-35 is the ONLY way I would do it.  Avoid I-80 at all costs unless you have door gunners.  Far too many idiots per hwy mile.

Hwy 20 is 4 lane all the way across.  Once you get east of Sioux City traffic is very mild.  As you come east the only slow spots are Lawton (55 MPH through town), Moville (4 way stop) and Correctionville (55/45 through town).  Other than that it's pretty much 65 MPH.  If you need to stop for a break you have Lawton, Moville, Correctionville, Holstein, Early, Rockwell City exit and the Webster city exit.  Food and fuel at all of those.  I-35 south stops would be at Jewell, Story City and Ames.  Again food and fuel at all of those.

Get off I-35 at exit 96 (Elkhart) and go east about 2 1/2 miles to town.

Be very careful coming through Sioux City on I-29.  Lots of construction and speed cameras.  Also, be aware that when you get off of HWY 75 (the connection between I-29 and HWY 20) the speed limit drops to 55 MPH fro a mile or so.  Woodbury County and ISP have a presence there often.

Have a safe trip.
View Quote
I go thru Sioux City quite a bit for work and never speed but thanks for the heads up.

Looks like 20 is the way to go.  Thanks for the info every one.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top