Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/2/2019 9:59:52 PM EDT
It's early in the season yet, but I usually start seeing them in mid May, both in town and out. Have seen few enough this year to notice they're not around, but have been seeing more and more chimney swifts(started seeing them last year) and am seeing nighthawks again this year for the first time in a long while-all three being bug eaters I can't help thinking it might be related. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a big drop in bats.

Another cool one I haven't seen in a long time(10+ years), is a black and yellow garden spider. Big, scary and mostly harmless. They can bite but without an allergy they say it hurts less than a bee sting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's early in the season yet, but I usually start seeing them in mid May, both in town and out. Have seen few enough this year to notice they're not around, but have been seeing more and more chimney swifts(started seeing them last year) and am seeing nighthawks again this year for the first time in a long while-all three being bug eaters I can't help thinking it might be related. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a big drop in bats.

Another cool one I haven't seen in a long time(10+ years), is a black and yellow garden spider. Big, scary and mostly harmless. They can bite but without an allergy they say it hurts less than a bee sting.
View Quote
Until your post I hadn't thought about it.  Due to all the flooding we've had up here in the NW part of the state the mosquito problem has begun.  We usually spend some evenings each week on the back patio, but haven't been able to do that yet this year.  We could actually watch the bats flying around through the back yards.  We have a bunch of these slingshot launched whirligig things that the bats used to attack when we would shoot them up.  Kinda fun watching them do that.  I have not yet seen a bat this year.  That being said, I did see a bat removal service truck parked in front of one of the restored 100+ year old houses in town last week.  Guess they're not all gone.

I'm pretty sure that if you check Booger's belfry you will find an abundance of the little winged creatures doing quite well there.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not just me then. The only bats I have seen this year were in Howard County wheneb my father in law burned the weeds off his CRP ground...and even that was only a few
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw lots of them at twilight while tent camping in linn county last month. Have to get that sweet spot of 20 minutes when the sky is still bright enough to silhouette them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
One of these evenings after it quits raining I'll have to go out and launch some of the little helicopter gizmos.  That should bring them out if they are here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of these evenings after it quits raining I'll have to go out and launch some of the little helicopter gizmos.  That should bring them out if they are here.
View Quote
Sounds like fun. Maybe I'll bring some beer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
When I lived in Kansas, they used to be out at the golf course behind my buddies house when we would invade the course for night golf. Only bat I've seen since moving to Iowa was the one I removed from my girlfriends apartment last year.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that you mention it, it does seem like less than normal now.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top