Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/31/2019 7:51:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I would guess that Brownells could do it, but IDK for sure.

I have an old engraver that I could use.  Take about 5 minutes.  Cheap rates.  No quality guarantee implied or expressed.

Have you asked Septic?  He would know, given his line of work.

Septic's shop
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have sent all of mine off to THSF. Excellent prices, super-fast turn around. They even called me to make sure the weird size/loc. I wanted was right (it wasn't). Recommend highly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have sent all of mine off to THSF. Excellent prices, super-fast turn around. They even called me to make sure the weird size/loc. I wanted was right (it wasn't). Recommend highly.
View Quote
That's great and all but it's kind of useless if you don't know what "THSF" means.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would guess that Brownells could do it, but IDK for sure.

I have an old engraver that I could use.  Take about 5 minutes.  Cheap rates.  No quality guarantee implied or expressed.

Have you asked Septic?  He would know, given his line of work.

Septic's shop
View Quote
I would not use septic, mine that he did are very screwing looking.  He's just a middle man anyway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's great and all but it's kind of useless if you don't know what "THSF" means.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was able to find this for you  
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly I believe Septic tried to repeatedly make things right with your situation...correct me if I’m wrong and how long ago again did this happen?

I have never had anything engraved personally for myself but will have some things ready by the next election.
I have personally seen Strongarms Browning .30 belt-fed and Colt DOE 9mm AR and the engraving is a work of art that came from Septic’s engraver.

PSA...whoever you may decide to use for your engraving make sure they are familiar with the ATF’s requirements for font size and engraving depth when dealing with serial #’s.
View Quote
Yes, you are wrong.  I only mentioned this one other time here, I'm not making a huge deal out of it, so it's hardly "beating a dead horse", bud. It took him 18 months to complete a couple SBRs, I really didn't care to wait any longer even if he did try to reach out.  The engraving was so poor it should have been fixed before it left the shop that he sent it to.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, you are wrong.  I only mentioned this one other time here, I'm not making a huge deal out of it, so it's hardly "beating a dead horse", bud. It took him 18 months to complete a couple SBRs, I really didn't care to wait any longer even if he did try to reach out.  The engraving was so poor it should have been fixed before it left the shop that he sent it to.  Thanks
View Quote
he's right.  it didn't go well.  atf, as usual, lost forms, many of which i resubmitted several times.  hell, the last round of them during that time took 11 months for the form 2 alone.  and since i can't form 3 to another dealer what atf hasn't recognized on a form 2 manufacturing report, people were pissed.  i don't blame cavscouty a bit for being miffed.  i assure you i wasn't digging it either.  i think i even posted pics of some of the forms showing only the dates of course where it was nearly a year for a stupid form 2...  very uncool.  eforms has actually helped, when it isn't down and thankfully it hasn't crashed now that it is on the 3rd gen.  gen 1 and 2 were awful...

then, with a bunch of people that were miffed over the late date, i hurried through things when the forms finally came through, which is the cardinal sin of late projects.  in my rush i missed what was obvious  ...because his engraving was too close to the edge of the weapon and didn't look good.  i didn't check it thoroughly, and shipped it 15 miles because jack didn't want to pick it up.  i wish like hell that hadn't happened, but i have to own it.  ultimately it was my responsibility.  i've apologized plenty, and offered lots of times to make it right, but sometimes people don't want that.  and that's ok, as it is their choice, not mine.  i use two different services now.  one is a lazer engraver the other is a cnc mill engraver.  depending on the work you want done and the metallurgy, either can be a great option.

again, apologies jack.  i'm sorry that happened.  the engraving is on me, totally.

the wait?  all atf...  in fact, if i go back, i think i resubmitted your form 2 or 3x.  i hustled that project as hard as any i ever have calling atf on the phone, emailing them, faxing them, and sending you copies.  that stuff is hard on everyone.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
again, apologies jack.  i'm sorry that happened.  the engraving is on me, totally.
View Quote
Apology accepted.  Jack
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Apparently Phipps diamond shop in Marion does NFA engraving. I’ll be calling them later today to follow up on a conversation about it last week.

I’ll keep you guys posted about how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh shit. We may be neighbors.

Been digging around, thinking I am going to ship to Tar Heel State Firearms. Rave reviews from everyone I talk to.

Still in for info on Phillips.
View Quote
I’m in Iowa City, Marion is pretty close though. Spoke with the guy on the phone, sounds like they use a laser engraving setup. Will be visiting them soon.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I was out in Cedar Rapids last weekend to visit my Grandma. Very sad to find out the Maid Rite off 7th shut down.

Many meals had there with my grandpa (RIP), and after he got moved into a home, we would always stop there and pick Maid Rite up on our way to visit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Well here is the follow up. This is from Philips Diamond Shop in Marion, IA. Done with a fiber laser I think, came out pretty good. Maybe a little larger than I was hoping and I did specify 1/16 font, .003 depth. Pretty happy with it overall, I'll end up doing some sort of paint fill to finish out the bare metal.

Total came to $68 for the two guns.

Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well here is the follow up. This is from Philips Diamond Shop in Marion, IA. Done with a fiber laser I think, came out pretty good. Maybe a little larger than I was hoping and I did specify 1/16 font, .003 depth. Pretty happy with it overall, I'll end up doing some sort of paint fill to finish out the bare metal.

Total came to $68 for the two guns.

https://i.imgur.com/Hpen43Q.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/NTfTOac.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/q4gd4mj.jpg?1
View Quote
Looks good.

AKS74U is pure sex
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks good.
View Quote
Thanks bro. Appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#23]
That’s the unfinished metal I need to paint fill still.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
There is a guy in Danville Iowa that will do it. But he does not have an FFL yet. He has done both of my MP5's.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anybody found an engraver around Des Moines? I thought I saw some guys at a gunshow a while back.

Looks like Creative arms does it for $35. I think I answered my own question.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is a guy in Danville Iowa that will do it. But he does not have an FFL yet. He has done both of my MP5's.
View Quote
Can you PM me the info for him? I remember reading about him in The Hawkeye newspaper, but lost all the info when the paper was thrown away.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top