Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/17/2019 10:17:43 AM EDT
Iowa Forum ladies and gents, it has been too long since we have met up, hung out and shared a few laughs... I would like the gatherings of days past to become a thing again.  In the past, we have had several shooting events (range sessions, 3-gun comps, long range shooting, night shoots, etc.), pot lucks, build parties, & after gun show informal gatherings to break bread and share a beverage.

Who's interested in meeting up with fellow arfcom folks and having a good time?  What thoughts & ideas do you have?  It has really been too long.

UPDATE: From Septic
"29 JUNE. That's the date. 10AM to 4PM.  The War Dept signed off on this early AM.

I'm doing a bunch of lawn care, tree trimming, work around the pond, etc. Mostly busy body stuff that'll need to be done prior. Just appearance stuff that wifey gets all worked up about. Beyond that, targets, their set up and tear down, canopies before and after, any food that needs to be grilled in preparation, etc. will all need a few extra hands. If someone brings tarps and the likes so empty brass is easy to police, that helps. You know, that kind of thing...

As we move closer people will have to holler about what they may need grill space for, etc. I have two 22" weber kettles and one ceramic egg smoker. Surely that'll get us started. A couple large coolers, etc. 40acres of bathroom. You know, the basics."

LIST of who is bringing what:

CatfishHunter - paper plates, paper bowls, napkins, utensils, chips & a desert item.  
Compass - Chips & condiments
Fatdrunkandstupid - Beans
Yammerschooner - hamburgers
booger-hooker - cooler w/ice
strongarm66 - bottled water w/a side of bad attitude...while spreading hate and discontent
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
In for whatever
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I would be interested in that
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I never seem to make it to the big gatherings but would be interested. Maybe this one will happen on a day off
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Always up for a HTF gathering/shoot/whatever.  I'd also still like to try and put together a Wild Bunch/Bloody porch shoot.  Needs some discussion still so a gathering would be a good time for that too.

Link Posted: 5/17/2019 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully I'm in. Even if it's just meeting for a few refreshments.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's septic been? I haven't seen him post in a while.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm new to town (don't officially move here until june) but I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's a range day and I have the day off, I'll bring a .45-70 Contender for people to try. Yeah, it's a handful.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a range day and I have the day off, I'll bring a .45-70 Contender for people to try. Yeah, it's a handful.
View Quote
Yes please. I'll even bring my own .45-70 ammo just for this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Septic is a one-man shop and stays very busy with the shop and his family.  He will stop in when he gets a chance.
View Quote
Based off his Facebook posts, he's been busy morel hunting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
and trimming up steel targets with his mower
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright, good to see some interest! What ideas do folks have for a focus of the get together?  Open to all suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I may or may not be in Iowa at that point anyways, but as gracious as Septic is/was to have us, it's got to be a TON of work for him and puts his family out to a degree, etc.

Always thought it would be neat to rent a bay @ Brownell's, but I assume we need some sort of structure/hookup to do that, but...

I think Septic knows a guy
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you pricks...  lol.

those morels were given to me, mostly, by a customer.  hell, i traded morels this year for gunsmith work.  suited me fine.  i love the barter system!

and yeah, the mower escape was the suck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#16]
if we wanted to hold this at a range bay over at big springs, i'm not sure how that would work.  i'm unclear on whether there has to be an 'organizer' with over reaching umbrella insurance liability or what.  i'll check into that.

i'd have no trouble hosting if that's what you guys want.  all i can tell you is two things need to be understood.  1, i'll have to made the date work with my home/shop schedule, which is likely a saturday.  sorry boys.  i like you, but i like church on sunday too, so i don't like to miss it.  2, if there was a bit of help in terms of set up, that'd go a long way.  i can get the shop cleaned up to accommodate people.  i have a pop up canopy or two if we need it.  i have a 50yd earth berm range with gravel in 1/2 of it.  i have a pond people can shoot over to the other side or use for shotgunning.  hell, you can go fishing on my dock if you want.  the pond needs it.  it's been stocked for years, so there are plenty of fish to catch.  large mouth, smallies, perch, bluegill, hybrids blue gills, catfish, etc.

in times past, we've done kind of a potluck thing.  i have a couple weber 22" kettles and a ceramic egg smoker, so we can do some damage there too.

i'll do some checking on the big springs option and holler back.  or we can do it here if you guys would like.  up to you.

-michael
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if we wanted to hold this at a range bay over at big springs, i'm not sure how that would work.  i'm unclear on whether there has to be an 'organizer' with over reaching umbrella insurance liability or what.  i'll check into that.

i'd have no trouble hosting if that's what you guys want.  all i can tell you is two things need to be understood.  1, i'll have to made the date work with my home/shop schedule, which is likely a saturday.  sorry boys.  i like you, but i like church on sunday too, so i don't like to miss it.  2, if there was a bit of help in terms of set up, that'd go a long way.  i can get the shop cleaned up to accommodate people.  i have a pop up canopy or two if we need it.  i have a 50yd earth berm range with gravel in 1/2 of it.  i have a pond people can shoot over to the other side or use for shotgunning.  hell, you can go fishing on my dock if you want.  the pond needs it.  it's been stocked for years, so there are plenty of fish to catch.  large mouth, smallies, perch, bluegill, hybrids blue gills, catfish, etc.

in times past, we've done kind of a potluck thing.  i have a couple weber 22" kettles and a ceramic egg smoker, so we can do some damage there too.

i'll do some checking on the big springs option and holler back.  or we can do it here if you guys would like.  up to you.

-michael
View Quote
If you hosted, is there anything we could do to make it less work for you?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a good time. Count me in!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I work evenings with Wed Thu off ... or I would.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I would enjoy meeting up again. Had a blast last time at septic's place. But I'm up for whatever.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you hosted, is there anything we could do to make it less work for you?
View Quote
mostly just set up and tear down of whatever it is you all want to do.  police up trash, brass, etc.  basic stuff i reckon...
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll ask mama for some dates.

Also, what content are we interested in?  Talking and breaking bread together?  Shooting?  If so, what kind?  Clays?  Pistolas?  Rifles?  If shooting, what are you going to shoot at?  (So help me, if you one of you pricks shows up with an old microwave...  LOL.)
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm interested in both food and guns. Either together or separately.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm interested in both food and guns. Either together or separately.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm interested in whatever. Food and guns are always great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No microwaves huh...you got a shovel?  
View Quote
who the hell would have assumed a brand new shovel was a target?  and then...  barely be able to hit it???  lol.

lucy as some splainin' to do...
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag to see what happens and when...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No microwaves huh...you got a shovel?  
View Quote
I believe the rules of engagement are clear on this.  If it's within the impact area.......engage it.  Just sayin'........................
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
If it's a Saturday at Septic's, I won't make it. I'm always down for a Sunday meet up in Des Moines.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm in, 99% guaranteed.

I've looked into renting out some stuff at Big Springs before, and it was affordable then and not much hassle then.  But this was like 4 years ago, so I have no idea what it is like now.

If Septic will host it, I'll promise a couple hours of labor to set up and/or tear down or other bitch duties.  Who else will promise at least 2 hours of labor to help him out?

As a side note, I think maybe we should try to do an alternate socializing date to, to link up with folks like Slims that work for a living.  Maybe have a late lunch on a Sunday somewhere sometime soon.

ETA:  Big Springs really doesn't look like a pain in the ass to rent.  https://www.bigspringsrange.com/pricing-reservations

Pricing & ReservationsBig Springs is available for Corporate and Special Events, as well as meetings of any size. From 4H and church groups, to business and club outings, Big Springs has the ability to make your event unique. Big Springs also offers catering!

There are two different range fees that an agency can pay based on what best represents your range usage, 1) A $12.00 per shooter per day fee or 2) A $600.00 fee for an unlimited number of events and shooters per fiscal year. Big Springs Shooting Complex reserves the right to charge $150.00 deposit fee on scheduled range events. Failure to notify Big Springs Shooting complex two weeks prior to canceling a scheduled event will result in the forfeit of your deposit.

Range Props Request Setup: Big Springs Shooting Complex will assist in set up and take down of range props. There will be a minimum of a five day notice for any prop setup. Any prop setup request under a five day notice will be charged at a rate of $25.00 per hour. A diagram for each event will be provided for prop placement.

Sporting Clays: $6.00
Trap & Skeet: $5.00
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#32]
We should have a meet at Brownells
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We should have a meet at Brownells
View Quote
You mean headquarters?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm in, 99% guaranteed.

I've looked into renting out some stuff at Big Springs before, and it was affordable then and not much hassle then.  But this was like 4 years ago, so I have no idea what it is like now.

If Septic will host it, I'll promise a couple hours of labor to set up and/or tear down or other bitch duties.  Who else will promise at least 2 hours of labor to help him out?

As a side note, I think maybe we should try to do an alternate socializing date to, to link up with folks like Slims that work for a living.  Maybe have a late lunch on a Sunday somewhere sometime soon.

ETA:  Big Springs really doesn't look like a pain in the ass to rent.  https://www.bigspringsrange.com/pricing-reservations

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm in, 99% guaranteed.

Pricing & ReservationsBig Springs is available for Corporate and Special Events, as well as meetings of any size. From 4H and church groups, to business and club outings, Big Springs has the ability to make your event unique. Big Springs also offers catering!

There are two different range fees that an agency can pay based on what best represents your range usage, 1) A $12.00 per shooter per day fee or 2) A $600.00 fee for an unlimited number of events and shooters per fiscal year. Big Springs Shooting Complex reserves the right to charge $150.00 deposit fee on scheduled range events. Failure to notify Big Springs Shooting complex two weeks prior to canceling a scheduled event will result in the forfeit of your deposit.

Range Props Request Setup: Big Springs Shooting Complex will assist in set up and take down of range props. There will be a minimum of a five day notice for any prop setup. Any prop setup request under a five day notice will be charged at a rate of $25.00 per hour. A diagram for each event will be provided for prop placement.

Sporting Clays: $6.00
Trap & Skeet: $5.00
I can also be in for bitch duties, if I am available the weekend of.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]
29 JUNE.  That's the date.  The War Dept signed off on this early AM.

I'm doing a bunch of lawn care, tree trimming, work around the pond, etc.  Mostly busy body stuff that'll need to be done prior.  Just appearance stuff that wifey gets all worked up about.  Beyond that, targets, their set up and tear down, canopies before and after, any food that needs to be grilled in preparation, etc. will all need a few extra hands.  If someone brings tarps and the likes so empty brass is easy to police, that helps.  You know, that kind of thing...

As we move closer people will have to holler about what they may need grill space for, etc.  I have two 22" weber kettles and one ceramic egg smoker.  Surely that'll get us started.  A couple large coolers, etc.  40acres of bathroom.  You know, the basics.

Side note - As for slims and another date/time...  Why don't we reinstitute the famous arfcom raffle after a gun show some time?  We used to do some of that back in the day.  Looks like our moderator would get off his ass and do that shit.  After all, he gets the big bucks to do that kind of thing, right?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#37]
We've got a cooler we can toss some bagged ice and water bottles in.

I'll bring some chips and condiments. No mayo though. I'm not supplying bacteria for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
29 JUNE.  That's the date.  The War Dept signed off on this early AM.

I'm doing a bunch of lawn care, tree trimming, work around the pond, etc.  Mostly busy body stuff that'll need to be done prior.  Just appearance stuff that wifey gets all worked up about.  Beyond that, targets, their set up and tear down, canopies before and after, any food that needs to be grilled in preparation, etc. will all need a few extra hands.  If someone brings tarps and the likes so empty brass is easy to police, that helps.  You know, that kind of thing...

As we move closer people will have to holler about what they may need grill space for, etc.  I have two 22" weber kettles and one ceramic egg smoker.  Surely that'll get us started.  A couple large coolers, etc.  40acres of bathroom.  You know, the basics.

Side note - As for slims and another date/time...  Why don't we reinstitute the famous arfcom raffle after a gun show some time?  We used to do some of that back in the day.  Looks like our moderator would get off his ass and do that shit.  After all, he gets the big bucks to do that kind of thing, right?
View Quote
Glad to hear y'all are getting something together!

Raffle would be cool, but even just a food meet up would be cool also.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
i was operating off age old 'inside joke' intel.  we used to all link up for supper and drinks someplace after a saturday afternoon gunshow was over or a sunday pm ditty.  we'd tell the other halves we won a raffle at the gunshow, thus explaining all the new shit we'd all be bringing home.  'raffle' was code for 'shit we bought mama didn't authorize' so it stuck...

so yeah.  raffle day it is...  ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i was operating off age old 'inside joke' intel.  we used to all link up for supper and drinks someplace after a saturday afternoon gunshow was over or a sunday pm ditty.  we'd tell the other halves we won a raffle at the gunshow, thus explaining all the new shit we'd all be bringing home.  'raffle' was code for 'shit we bought mama didn't authorize' so it stuck...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that. I won a Mosin in a raffle after work tonight.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#42]
winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got me with that one. I'm in!
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Michael for hosting and setting a date!  I'm in and available to help out with set-up.

Post up with what you plan to bring and we can get a list going in the original posting.

I will bring paper plates, paper bowls, napkins, utensils, & chips (& maybe a desert item).
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#45]
New guy checking, l’d like to come out and meet y’all, if you need help or food I can help. I’m south of Sully.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Good to meet you too booger-hooker, different circumstances would have been good for sure. There are worse places to have a med emergency but not last night. Her time was up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Got time off approved for the day so looks like I'll be able to make it, can bring bacon and a couple packs of deer burger for the grill.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got time off approved for the day so looks like I'll be able to make it, can bring bacon and a couple packs of deer burger for the grill.
View Quote
You gonna be in town all weekend, or just down for the day?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You gonna be in town all weekend, or just down for the day?
View Quote
Haven't decided yet. Wife is working so it'll just be me, but don't know if I'll need to be home Sunday or not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top