Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/13/2019 8:34:58 AM EDT
Going to visit the inlaws in KS next month and want to hit a couple of courses on the way down. Come across these two places and just looking for some info about how they are. First one is the New Pioneer Gun Club on Waukee and the other is Black Oaks Sporting Clays in Pella.

Also does anyone know if the Flood Creek sporting clays course in Rudd is still open?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Rudd closed several years ago.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rudd closed several years ago.
View Quote
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot at Powder Creek in Lenexa, KS when I lived in KC. Nice place when I was going. Haven't been in about 7 years.

http://www.powdercreek.com/
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used to shoot at Powder Creek in Lenexa, KS when I lived in KC. Nice place when I was going. Haven't been in about 7 years.

View Quote
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that one was there. We try to hit Cedar Hills gun club when we are visiting the Inlaws since it's close to their house but Powder Creek would be a nice one to hit on the way in or out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that one was there. We try to hit Cedar Hills gun club when we are visiting the Inlaws since it's close to their house but Powder Creek would be a nice one to hit on the way in or out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem. I realized after I responded you didn't specify where in Kansas you were headed, but it's pretty well on the way to anywhere in Kansas.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No problem. I realized after I responded you didn't specify where in Kansas you were headed, but it's pretty well on the way to anywhere in Kansas.
View Quote
My in-laws live a little North of Ottawa but your right, KC pretty much in the way for anywhere in KS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a recovering sporting clays snob... What do you want to know?

Powder Creek is a GREAT facility. It was at one time run by Derrick Mein, who I had the pleasure of getting beaten by....frequently. If that's an option, do it. New Pioneer was at one time the premier SC club in Iowa, and they make do with their setup, but it's a trap & skeet club that they shoe-horned some hand traps in. It's very flat, so not much topographic involvement. IMO not an exciting course.

Honestly, some of the best courses in IA are the Izaak Waltons who do it occasionally. That said, it varies by who does the setup, etc.

I haven't been to Black Oak since I got out of shooting clays with any seriousness after moving back to Iowa.... Like most shooting sports, the involvement here is pretty low and thus the quality can be mediocre. If you're ever looking for a squad mate who doesn't take themselves too seriously, let me know... I'll dust off my K-gun (Assuming there's no USPSA match that day )
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Powder Creek is a GREAT facility. It was at one time run by Derrick Mein, who I had the pleasure of getting beaten by....frequently. If that's an option, do it. New Pioneer was at one time the premier SC club in Iowa, and they make do with their setup, but it's a trap & skeet club that they shoe-horned some hand traps in. It's very flat, so not much topographic involvement. IMO not an exciting course.

Honestly, some of the best courses in IA are the Izaak Waltons who do it occasionally. That said, it varies by who does the setup, etc.

I haven't been to Black Oak since I got out of shooting clays with any seriousness after moving back to Iowa.... Like most shooting sports, the involvement here is pretty low and thus the quality can be mediocre. If you're ever looking for a squad mate who doesn't take themselves too seriously, let me know... I'll dust off my K-gun (Assuming there's no USPSA match that day )
View Quote
Thanks for the info, sounds like new pioneer would be the type of course the a guy wouldn't want to make a special trip to unless you lived close, I live 2.5hrs from DM.
I'm really hoping we can work in a trip to Powder Creek but they have a couple of events for two of three three available days we could go there and I'm not sure if we can make it down there on the last day in time to make the cut off for shooting. I wish they were open Monday or Tuesdays which worked be perfect. We're going to Cedar Creek for sure though

ETA. I just shoot for fun so I'm not too worried about going to a course that is sub par, my home course is a rinky dink setup but it serves the purpose.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you were at Bob Munden's 2002 expo shoot at Powder Creek, I was there also!

That event is what got me interested in handguns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, I was there at least once a year from 05-09.

I actually used to enjoy the Maxwell Ikes as they tried to integrate the terrain, which is more akin to the 'super sporting' I grew up on. Marshalltown has been hit or miss, but the stages down by the creek are usually pretty decent given the outfit. There are a few spots in Iowa really trying to step up their game, which is nice. Generally the issue is it's just too open and you can only shoot so many open-field crossers before it becomes boring.

Oak Creek over the NE line puts on a decent course as well. Used to make an annual pilgrimage to the 'Whole Hog Open'
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Down at my in-laws now and stopped at Powder Creek on our way through KC. I was very impressed with the course, it's probably the nicest course I've been to and they have some really nice shots. They had a corporate event on the blue course so we had to shoot the harder red course. I wish we had a course like this close to home.

Another thing that was nice was all the once fired AA and Remington gun clubs I was able to fish out of the to trash.

ETA. If the rain holds off we are going to shoot at cedar Creek in Baldwin on Saturday.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top