Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2019 10:54:47 AM EDT
Just getting into the nightvision game and struggling to find good places to shoot at night. Anywhere in the Iowa City area to do something like this? Does IA DNR allow target shooting on public hunting lands?

Or any group get togethers to do some night shooting?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you let me play with your fancy gear I might have a spot

My Gen 1 monocular is effective... as a melee weapon

I'm in CR area FWIW
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing too fancy, picked up a gen 3 pvs14 with a omni VII tube, Atpial-c, peq2, and a couple cans to round out some clone builds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I like your style.  I'm saving my pennies to put together a similar setup.  There is a private range I think I could shoot at after dark, if all weapons were suppressed. A lot of the public ground around me is posted with "no target shooting" signs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
PM sent.  Anyone else hit me up and we might be able to put something together.  I can shoot 100 yards at home.  Waterloo area..
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You can shoot anywhere if you are quiet enough

I haven't seen many public ranges that allow or welcome it without prior communication and approval. I only shoot on private ground now so I don't have to deal with all that BS (thankfully) but I would be sure to communicate with wherever you end up (private or public) what you would like to do and when... I've had the cops and/or DNR show up even after my due diligence and it can get a little tense in the middle of the night.

Nothing like getting yelled at to walk towards them while wearing a helmet, NVG's and several firearms as they shine a shitty Maglite around....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can shoot anywhere if you are quiet enough

I haven't seen many public ranges that allow or welcome it without prior communication and approval. I only shoot on private ground now so I don't have to deal with all that BS (thankfully) but I would be sure to communicate with wherever you end up (private or public) what you would like to do and when... I've had the cops and/or DNR show up even after my due diligence and it can get a little tense in the middle of the night.

Nothing like getting yelled at to walk towards them while wearing a helmet, NVG's and several firearms as they shine a shitty Maglite around....
View Quote
Not only this, I don't think private ranges have any interest in it.  My range is dawn-dusk.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also in the Waterloo area, there is a real lack of ranges around here that allow any sort of night shooting. You will always have the DNR breathing down your neck typically. I've wanted to get into NV but the lack of any available ranges keeps me from it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am also in the Waterloo area, there is a real lack of ranges around here that allow any sort of night shooting. You will always have the DNR breathing down your neck typically. I've wanted to get into NV but the lack of any available ranges keeps me from it.
View Quote
Try calling John Fetzer at Sure Shot Range down by Mt Auburn.  I bet he would rent the range to you to shoot at night.  Its around 25 miles from Waterloo.

http://www.sureshotrangeandgunsmithing.com
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagging this thread.  I have NV, beamz and suppressors and really like shooting at night.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bumping this old thread. Wondering again what opportunities there are for night vision shooting and or training in Iowa.

I just picked up a PVS 30 and would love to stretch it out for longer range shooting.

I sent an email to big springs because I thought I remember a hometown night vision shoot there before, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bumping this old thread. Wondering again what opportunities there are for night vision shooting and or training in Iowa.

I just picked up a PVS 30 and would love to stretch it out for longer range shooting.

I sent an email to big springs because I thought I remember a hometown night vision shoot there before, but I could be wrong.
View Quote
ryan and i did one together through cca and nightlong 5 or 6 years ago.  if things were suppressed, i'd do it again at my personal range.  or i could ask what big springs would charge me to rent the range at night again.

give me some numbers on how many people would attend.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ryan and i did one together through cca and nightlong 5 or 6 years ago.  if things were suppressed, i'd do it again at my personal range.  or i could ask what big springs would charge me to rent the range at night again.

View Quote
I was at the CCA/Nightlong night shoot.  I would be 100% in for another.  There are night vision & thermal rental companies if people are interested in trying out equipment prior to making a substantial investment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd be in for sure.  I need to get some pics taken.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I might be down, just picked up a pvs14.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that sounds like a blast and about what I remembered reading about. I think I would have a couple from the Iowa City area that would be interested. Some that have nods and others that don't but have suppressors.

Big springs replied to my email that they didn't do any nv classes or training and didn't comment about any other night time usage. I would really like to try that 500y range with the pvs30 .

Quoted:

I was at the CCA/Nightlong night shoot.  I would be 100% in for another.  There are night vision & thermal rental companies if people are interested in trying out equipment prior to making a substantial investment.
Very cool. Was there a fairly good turnout last time?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#16]
There did seem to be a good turn out to the event. I never heard how much product Nightlong Industries sold based on the event, but people did turnout and it was fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
You know I'm in especially if there's anything on the East side. Waterloo, SureShot, works.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know I'm in especially if there's anything on the East side. Waterloo, SureShot, works.
View Quote
Sureshot would be great, I bet John would host it.

rubywat, you a Waterloo native?  I'm just a bit south of Hudson.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sureshot would be great, I bet John would host it.

rubywat, you a Waterloo native?  I'm just a bit south of Hudson.
View Quote
No but not too far. Last time I was up John was still finishing the new shop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No but not too far. Last time I was up John was still finishing the new shop.
View Quote
Ya, I spoke to John at the CR gun show, he has some pics.  Got a friend of his making some custom shooting benches.  Should be nice.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top