Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/13/2019 6:47:01 PM EDT
What am I in for? I'm from NC, but I'm ok with the cold. My job is going to require me to live near Des Moines, but I can be up to an hour away.

I'd like to be in a small town, maybe get a few acres. I have four kids 10 and under, so a safe place with decent schools is important.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Most anything out of Des Moines proper will be fine and even dsm isn’t that bad.  Just need to pick the neighborhood carefully.  Acreage in the metro area may be difficult.  It’s a weird market.

Most gravitate to the west suburbs, which go damn near to Adel anymore.  Total pop in the metro is better than 600,000.  Offers pretty much anything you would likely need or want.  Except machine guns.

Dsm winters aren’t bad.   We’re far enough south to avoid the worst of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome. @kalahnikid help this guy acclimate.

As far as acerages go I'd look outside of Polk county. Commute times are usually very timely.

I'm in a small town outside of Des Moines. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I moved from Illinois almost two years ago, I hope you end up loving it here as much as I have.

My wife and I definitely had a little sticker shock real estate hunting coming from permanent recession Illinois, but it seems to hold its value.

What else do you need help with? CWL's are stupid easy to get and fairly cheap so thats good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
my suggestion is either south of DSM or East
North anything between Ames and DSM I think will be almost touching in 10 years
West lots of small towns but that part of DSM is growing fast too also REALLY high taxes around Waukee/West Des Moines area
got a buddy paying 2.9% in property taxes.......

nice thing about DSM is about 3 hours north or south you have Minneapolis or Kansas City
West you have Omaha 2 hours away and Chicago or St Louis are only 6 hours away
so if you need to go to a big city for some reason they are all pretty close

gun laws are great and planning on getting better!

this winter was a little worse than it has been
just expect negative degrees every winter

lots of great restaurants and events in the metro (the semi pro teams are fun and cheap to go see)

only bad thing
lots of hipsters and liberals in the downtown area rest is pretty neutral
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#5]
So I'm going to be a sales rep, and my territory is going to be all of Nebraska and all of Iowa. Most of my business will be in Des Moines. Because I have to cover Nebraska as well, I was thinking about setting up shop between Omaha and Des Moines. If my math is correct, that should make it roughly a one-hour commute to each City. How is that area?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I'm going to be a sales rep, and my territory is going to be all of Nebraska and all of Iowa. Most of my business will be in Des Moines. Because I have to cover Nebraska as well, I was thinking about setting up shop between Omaha and Des Moines. If my math is correct, that should make it roughly a one-hour commute to each City. How is that area?
View Quote
Any acreage closer to Des Moines than that seems to be going for $10,000/acre.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That's how it was here in Charlotte too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe look into the Atlantic area. Small towns just off of I80.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I live there and work there. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions or whatever and I’ll tell you everything you need to know.

Welcome and thanks for canceling out the next dipshit Democrat that moves to Des Moines.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Winterset, Indianola, etc.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to IA! You're gonna love it here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have thoughts on the Fort Dodge area? Any towns up that way good for raising kids?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone have thoughts on the Fort Dodge area? Any towns up that way good for raising kids?
View Quote
They don't call it Dirty Dodge for nothing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Webster City is close to the area, is that any good?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought you wanted to be in between Des Moines and Omaha? Fort dodge and Webster city are way north.

And I would not live there. It is way better living over here in the west central part. WAY less crime and problems and things are cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought you wanted to be in between Des Moines and Omaha? Fort dodge and Webster city are way north.

And I would not live there. It is way better living over here in the west central part. WAY less crime and problems and things are cheaper.
View Quote
There's a lot of crime up there?

My wife might be able to get a job up in the Fort Dodge area,  which is why I'm asking. I'd rather not have her drive too far for work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Lol yeah there is tons of crime in dirty dodge. Way more then there should be for a town of that size. Also the town is shit and set up like shit. Everything there is old and trashy.

If I were you I would see if I could get her a job in the Des Moines area and then live somewhere west of the metro. much better schools, much cleaner and better towns, further west you go the Cheaper and more secluded it is and would make your commute much better. Trust me you definetly are not going to be happy in fort dodge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lol yeah there is tons of crime in dirty dodge. Way more then there should be for a town of that size. Also the town is shit and set up like shit. Everything there is old and trashy.

If I were you I would see if I could get her a job in the Des Moines area and then live somewhere west of the metro. much better schools, much cleaner and better towns, further west you go the Cheaper and more secluded it is and would make your commute much better. Trust me you definetly are not going to be happy in fort dodge.
View Quote
I do not disagree with any of that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunately this job might be good enough for us to risk it. I don't have to live in fort Dodge,  but within a 1/2 hour  of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
You are going to have one hell of a commute then if you are going to be going to Des Moines and Omaha all the time. Ouch...

We might not have crazy traffic but we have much worse weather and shitty roads compared to what you are used to.

Unless your around those cities it’s nothing but fields and tailgate towns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Sent you an IM
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sent you an IM
View Quote
Got it,  much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Little late to the thread and am in the East Central part of the State, but welcome to the Great State of Iowa
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truth.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Ankeny Waukee and Johnston are the best school districts.  Wanting acerage is hard to find and expensive now.  Since I work downtown Des Moines I live in Ankeny and commute is about 15 min.  Urbandale is an older nice suburb and anything North of Meredith Dr is Johnston School Dist which has school busses.  I have lived in Urbandale Johnston and Ankeny. Johnston is more expensive houses.  Property taxes in Polk Co are higher than some of the other counties, remember your time and gas are worth something.  Most all Iowa schools are pretty good. Downtown Des Moines has some rougher areas, Eastsiders are generally hillbillies without the hills.   One might find some rural acerage south like Winterset but keep in mind that commute to work is a year round thing and in the winter extended distances suck big time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Van Meter is where Des Moines Rifle and Revolver range is.  Waukee it the the good school on that side of town.

I would not pick north of Ames, Ames is Iowa State University nice college town.  Boone just to the west of Ames is a nice small town my ex's dad and sister used to live there. Ankeny is a far better choice though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Van Meter is where Des Moines Rifle and Revolver range is.  Waukee it the the good school on that side of town.

I would not pick north of Ames, Ames is Iowa State University nice college town.  Boone just to the west of Ames is a nice small town my ex's dad and sister used to live there. Ankeny is a far better choice though.
View Quote
Very quiet town for its size. Wife's sister lived there for several years.

I'm a good bit northeast. Booming metropolis of Alta Vista. Somewhere around 250 people surrounded by(what else?) cornfields.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Fort Dodge is the sewer of Iowa.

Move to Des Moines. I'm in Beaverdale, the Tier-1 Elite neighborhood and most-bestest houses and snooty self-congratulatory bumper stickers and yard signs.

It's actually really nice here.

DSM has a lot for food and drink, so I hope you like to eat.

What's your industry?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
You need to look at Desoto, Earlham, Dexter, Redfield or Stuart.  All 5 are right off of I-80 west of the Metro.  Winterset is southwest of Des Moines.  Finding a nice acreage with a nice house and buildings is going to be tough.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a nephew who lives in Ft. Dodge.  He has liked living there for almost 20 years.  The town has issues but with some careful planning and living in decent neighborhoods you can avoid 99% of the issues.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a nephew who lives in Ft. Dodge.  He has liked living there for almost 20 years.  The town has issues but with some careful planning and living in decent neighborhoods you can avoid 99% of the issues.

kwg
View Quote
I'll give Ft Dodge this - there are some absolutely beautiful older houses there. Stunning, and can be had for very cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]
OP if you need to be in the Fort Dodge then do that. There are some very nice and cool areas in and around fort dodge. Beautiful parks, beautiful trails, some awesome rivers and lakes, mines, gravel pits and great hunting. Honestly I do LOVE the area and the further NE you go in the state it’s even better, also between Ames and FT dodge is also nice.

If you head SW or W out of fort dodge it is mostly all only miles and miles of fields. You CAN move to nice parts of fort dodge. And it isn’t THAT bad however their small mall is caving in and is junk, they do have a target and similar stores. Their wal mart is trash and that’s where all the ghetto goblins go and I avoid that place at all costs. They have nice family places to eat and nice chains. Most of all that stuff is located all on the most SE and SW corner of the city.

There are some small towns to the east and south east that are beautiful and give you much quieter and very nice living. And your not all that far from say like Ames for all your bigger city needs.

If you have  any questions feel free to message me and I’ll send my cell number both sides of my family have lived in this whole 90 mile area for generations and I drive for a living so I’ve seen and done absolutely anything In this state.

Good luck! And thanks for choosing Iowa and setting back a couple of retards votes!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#34]
So I visited fort Dodge this week, and that's not going to happen. Will be based out of Des Moines somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So I visited fort Dodge this week, and that's not going to happen. Will be based out of Des Moines somewhere.
View Quote
Good decision, glad to hear that visiting dirty dodge didnt scare you off of Iowa. Des Moines' a great city.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good decision, glad to hear that visiting dirty dodge didnt scare you off of Iowa. Des Moines' a great city.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not at all. I'm looking to get some acreage outside of des Moines at this point. Found quite a few options.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You need to look at Desoto, Earlham, Dexter, Redfield or Stuart.  All 5 are right off of I-80 west of the Metro.  Winterset is southwest of Des Moines.  Finding a nice acreage with a nice house and buildings is going to be tough.

kwg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kwg
OP, i travel to omaha and des moines quite a bit.

The above towns is what i recommend as well. I live in that general area and i really couldnt of asked for a better setup for my family.

Depending on your financial situation, there is numerous real estate options available.

Also, check out upcoming real estate auctions for dallas county, ive have seen some killer acreages go for unbelievable prices the last couple years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Let us know when the Bar B Que is.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top