Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 12/18/2018 4:13:15 PM EDT
Went out this morning for the first time for late muzzle loader season. I hunt this season with my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 44 MAG with a Bushnell elite 2-6X32 scope. I use Hornady LeveRevolution 225gr FTX ammo. I have 2 doe tags to fill for this season.

I got out to one of the spots I like to sit in the timber about 6:40 am and settled in. Saw nothing til almost 8 am. I was standing/stretching and just looking around when off to my left out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw movement. I just stood there not moving a muscle looking to the left and sure enough, this decent sized doe was back behind me doing that slow walk, stop, walk, stop thing they do. She was only about 35-40 yards off behind my left shoulder. I waited for her to get her head behind a tree and drew out the Ruger slowly and cocked the hammer back. I picked out a nice opening she was heading for and raised the gun and just stood there and waited til she got into that opening. She was only between 25-30 yards from me at this point. Had the scope set on 2 power and settled the cross hairs on her shoulder and squeezed off the shot. I knew instantly I hit her pretty good. I saw that typical "flinch" they do when they're hit. She only ran about 25-30 yards away and crashed. Personally I find handgun hunting just as exciting as bow hunting. Enjoy the pics guys.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It always seems to be the moment you're not looking for them (killed one after waking up from a mid-day nap in the pickup bed).

Congrats and nice shooting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Darn nice meat deer!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never tried hunting with a handgun.  I am interested in it, however.  What are your distances?  Preferred caliber?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Back before I wised up and used to 'push' deer in parties, I carried a 629 6" .44 mag with red dot (before the days of MRDS) in a chest rig. Kept it close and wasn't snagging on every sapling along the way. I'd have to look at the reloading bench, but pretty sure it was a heavy XTP projo over Power Pistol.

If I were doing it today I'd buy some flavor of 10mm pistol milled for a RDS and call it good.

Distances were generally <15 yards on a push in Southern IA. If I was posting I'd switch back to my 11-87 w/ RDS.

Now the 11-87 is long gone and I don't think I've taken the 629 out of the safe (RDS and mount since removed) in a decade or so.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never tried hunting with a handgun.  I am interested in it, however.  What are your distances?  Preferred caliber?
View Quote
I've shot them up to 40 yards but most of my handgun deer have been inside of 25. Have used .357,.44 and .45-70. Leverevolution ammo in all three, it worked well. Stopped buying it when I started casting though, and my homecast 405 grain .45-70's kill them just as quick as the faster Hornadys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool pics and story, thanks for posting that up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the info.  I may look into a wheel gun in one of these for tax time purchase!!

Quoted:

I've shot them up to 40 yards but most of my handgun deer have been inside of 25. Have used .357,.44 and .45-70. Leverevolution ammo in all three, it worked well. Stopped buying it when I started casting though, and my homecast 405 grain .45-70's kill them just as quick as the faster Hornadys.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've shot a handful with a G20 10mm all 20y or less. Taking a deer with a handgun is very satisfying I'd say a lot harder than with a bow.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top