Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2018 9:40:10 AM EDT
I’m considering a move to Scott County.  What’s the shooting culture like?

I know it probably won’t be like it is fifty miles west, but is it livable to be a shooter there?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC there's a nice range in Princeton.

Where you moving from? I remember you from the IL forum, moving across the river was one of the best things I ever did , although I went a lot further west than youre looking to.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Well...there is a range in Princeton, but it's open to the public.  Oak Hills gun club, near Bleugrass, is what you seek.  And the gun culture is just fine in the quad cities.  Expect it to get better in Iowa when the new government is installed in Illinois and more conservatives head west to escape taxation and bans.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys. I’m near Aurora now, and I work in Naperville.  I have a few years to go before retirement but can work from home most of the time and only go in one day a week.  Scott County makes the most sense from that standpoint - I want to be on city water and sewer, and probably a townhouse this time.  I’ve been planning to relocate for a few years now, but the recent changes plus an impending divorce is pushing me to do it soon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
There's also Milan Rifle Club on the Illinois side. Multiple outdoor ranges with the farthest being 600 yards and an indoor pistol range that's open 24/7.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Princeton is “ok” during the week when there isn’t a lot of traffic there. Otherwise it’s full of morons. For a few years it was quite nice as it was maintained as DNR had an RSO on site that kept target boards in good shape.  He’s been sick as of late so it’s kinda gone back to shit with people using whatever for targets.  If you do go during a busy time shoot steel cased as to avoid the “hey are you keeping that brass guys”.

Davenport Guns has an indoor pistol range that I like to use and it’s reasonable to join.

That’s being said Oak Hills and Milan GC are great places. I also I’ve in Davenport so if you make it this way hit me up and I can show you around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ll probably retain my membership at my current club - it’s about the same drive from the QC as it is from me now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Wade is not sick he retired from working at the Princeton range. That is the reason he is not there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wade is not sick he retired from working at the Princeton range. That is the reason he is not there.
View Quote
Thanks for clarifying.  I was given bad information, its great to hear that he just retired and is not ill
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where you moving from? I remember you from the IL forum, moving across the river was one of the best things I ever did , although I went a lot further west than youre looking to.
View Quote
Glad to hear you all like it here.  It was nice meeting you guys a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you all like it here.  It was nice meeting you guys a year or so ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You too, I was sad the forum doesnt do more get togethers. We both found jobs quickly and bought a house in a nice little town, all things we couldnt do in IL. Iowa has been so good to us, we love it here!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Any decent stores?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any decent stores?
View Quote
I like Davenport Guns here in the QC area.  Good inventory and prices are fair, plus they have an indoor pistol range that is cheap enough to use and they have some classes as well.  Shooting Sports over on the IL side of the QC is ehhh, I will not spend money on firearm stuff in Illinois due to their laws n such.

There is another store on Division just south of Locust, I cant remember the name off the top of my head as I have never been in there but have heard a few good things about it
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Related but unrelated question.

I’m going to be out in the QC in a few weeks with my GF (that escalated quickly, lol) and will be looking around the area.  Can anyone suggest a decent restaurant on the IA side for lunch on Sunday?  Burgers and a brewpub would work.

I found info on Tangled Wood in Bettendorf - anyone know it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Front Street, Me and Billy's, Central Standard, Armored Gardens(100 beers on tap)  There are a LOT of choices.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Just went to Tangled Wood last Saturday around 5. Crowded, noisy and the food wasn't that good. The Filling Station E.35th St., Front Street Brewery E.River Drive. Filling station is a themed restaurant. Big tenderloins. Front street is a brew pub with some good food.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Front Street or Filling Station sounds like what we’re looking for.  Thanks!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top