Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2018 5:24:08 PM EDT
Stupid question. If I buy a suppressor from Brownells can I go through the whole ATF form process in store? Do they help you fill it out and send it off and then you wait for it to come back and then pick up the suppressor at Brownells?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Stupid question. If I buy a suppressor from Brownells can I go through the whole ATF form process in store? Do they help you fill it out and send it off and then you wait for it to come back and then pick up the suppressor at Brownells?
View Quote
Yes, Brownells does the whole ATF process at the store with the exception of the passport size photo.  that you have to go to Walgreens or somewhere similar and ask to have a passport photo taken.  You will pick up the suppressor from Brownells 6-9 months later.   This is all assuming you are not a prohibited person and an Iowa resident.

I would suggest you call the retail store and confirm the above info.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if you go while their ATF compliance guy is in the store.

I did not.

The poor retail gal who tried to help me was incredibly confused. I just wanted them to fill out their portion of the form and I'd take care of the rest. I've done it a dozen times now... nope. So if you go, bring ALL of your paperwork with you (trust info, fingerprints, pictures, responsible persons, etc).

Otherwise they'll give you an UNSIGNED form 4, and tell you to fill out and come back, they'll review it and sign it. I protested, seeing as though I just drove 2 hours one-way to get there... Too bad. I then made the return trip (had to head over to CCA anyways) eventually and turned everything in. They then said "Ok, we'll review it and then you can come back and get your CLEO copy."

a THIRD TRIP? WTF?

No. I asked them to just mail it. They did...several weeks later... to me.

So yeah, it's kind of an epic process and if I do it again, I'll just have them form 3 it to CCA and pay Septic the transfer monies. Well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. I only live about 15 min away from the retail store so I was hoping it would be an easy option. I'll go and talk to someone there about it. Just wanted to see if anyone had done it before.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I only live about 15 min away from the retail store so I was hoping it would be an easy option. I'll go and talk to someone there about it. Just wanted to see if anyone had done it before.
View Quote
Then yes, not bad. Just try to go during the 9-5 normal hours when their compliance guy is in the house. If you bring your stuff with you, they should be able to knock it out in one shot. They have some SCREAMING deals on stuff if you have a secret squirrel account. I picked up a Sig 556QD for well under $400 w/ tax, especially if you combine w/ a 10% off sale.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then yes, not bad. Just try to go during the 9-5 normal hours when their compliance guy is in the house. If you bring your stuff with you, they should be able to knock it out in one shot. They have some SCREAMING deals on stuff if you have a secret squirrel account. I picked up a Sig 556QD for well under $400 w/ tax, especially if you combine w/ a 10% off sale.
View Quote
Does this secret squirrel account invlove being a dealer?  If so I might have to make a trip this weekend.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top