Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/16/2018 1:58:41 PM EDT
As we all know hunting by artificial light is forbidden by the DNR. However I am wondering if NV using illuminator(s) would be legal for hunting coyote. While IR's below 940 nm do emit a somewhat visible light to the naked eye those at or above do not emit a visible light. Also coyote have no limit or nours and aren't really considered a game animal, but vermin. Can anyone shed any light, pun intended, on this question?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
SO surprisingly I already have an answer. I emailed DNR after asking this here to see what they would say. it seems we have another bogus regulation. Any type of night vision using IR cannot be used whether it emits a visible beam or not. However, thermal may be used since it does not emit any type of beam and although it didn't come up in the discussion I would imagine that any passive NV would be permissible so long as no form of beam is emitted.

I asked if it had ever been considered to exempt coyote since it was not considered a game animal and he said many times. However just like pistols for bow hunters they are afraid of poachers. Except in this case the individuals say they are coyote hunting. To which I said that the guys with thermal can say the same thing. Once again you're highly suspect of a crime w/o committing one.

So here you go IFC. Another DNR overreach of power with conflicting regs. If you have enough money you can use NV but if you can't afford the right type you're suspect of a crime before you even commit it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
X2 for coyote hunting with NV.  Time for the DNR to catch up with current technology.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
X2 for coyote hunting with NV.  Time for the DNR to catch up with current technology.
View Quote
Not only time to catch up, in this case technology has outstripped the law, but more importantly it rates right up there with carrying while bow hunting and having weapons on ATV's or snowmobiles. By allowing one type of NV technology but not the other it is places part of the law against the older technology while allowing the newer more expensive technology to be used. Along with that the wording includes permit holders who would like to shine the light of a vehicle to observe a deer or other animal with no intent on harassment or to poach. The light of a vehicle has no more effect and sometimes even less than if one were walking by or driving by as if not knowing they were there. Poorly worded law that places intent where none is intended.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top