Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2018 8:51:07 PM EDT
Need a Marlin 39A de-Bubbafied. Got a good deal on exactly the rifle I wanted(G serial prefix, 1950 manufacture) and it came with a Tasco 3-7X20. The scope came off in the LGS parking lot. Took the mount off at home and someone did a terrible job. Two screws that are the same thread pitch as a 10/22 uses, two screws the same as on current factory Marlin plugs(used some spare 1895 plug screws). Looking for someone who can plug weld them, polish and spot blue the top of the receiver.

For those who wonder(someone's bound to ask) the reason for wanting this specific prefix is it's as close as possible to the one my grandpa had. He bought it new, my dad cracked the stock sometime in the 60s. Farmers being farmers, Grandpa nailed and taped the stock together. 7ish years ago I got it from him, put a new stock on it(had to get a semi finished to get the right style), had it reblued and put it in a locking display with period correct manual and hang tags. The man who kept his guns in the back corner of a closet actually hung it on his bedroom wall.

Everyone in my family who shoots learned on that gun-Dad, uncles, cousins, brothers. My uncle inherited it and I bought this one. Shoots well, but the drill/tap job looks like shit.

ETA-the person I would like to have do the work isn't doing much of anything with guns due to health issues. He did the same thing on another gun for me several years back for an amazing price.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Are the threads stripped or will the correct screws just not thread into the holes. If not stripped you may be able to just chase the original threads with the correct tap, suggest using a plug type tap for easier starting straight, and restore them to functionality.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The threads are good, but look horrible. I just prefer that they were gone-unless I can find a receiver sight with spacing that matches. I hate scopes on lever actions.

There are also file/grinding marks on top of the receiver near the rearmost hole.  Got the rifle for $375 when the only other 39A's in the area are bringing $500-$800 so I'm still happy, just wish it looked better here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been quite happy with Rick at Scheels in West Des Moines

Controlled Chaos  Also happy with Controlled Chaos
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top