Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/18/2018 1:41:09 AM EDT
We've got suppressors, short barrelled rifles and short barrelled shotguns. Hell we even have OC with a conceal permit.

That's all fine and dandy, but I want a machine gun BEFORE they cost more than a brand new SUV, and yes I understand some already do.

Is anything being done to finally make IA a full NFA state?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't want to pee on anyone's parade, but seems like getting a bill passed for JUST MG's is going to be impossible and potentially hurtful to the greater good. We have important rights on the line still. Seems like it either had to be included in an NFA-bill, but since we got it piece-by-piece, seems unlikely you're going to get a politician behind a MG/DD bill.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Politically I don't see it.  The machine gun market is minuscule.  I doubt there's a hundred people in the state that realistically are able to jump into that game or want to.

Would I like machine guns?  Sure.  I'll never buy one, the ammo budget alone is out of my reach.  But if someone else wants to play that game fine.  Is it worth expending the political capital to obtain machine guns?  I'm not convinced.

I've shot machine guns a couple of times.   It was cool. Kind of.  If I never do again, I'll be fine.

We need to pick our battles carefully.  I'm not sure this is one we want to start.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd rather get the 2A wording locked into the state Constitution.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still waiting to see a simple parking lot law.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
X2 on that one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't want to pee on anyone's parade, but seems like getting a bill passed for JUST MG's is going to be impossible and potentially hurtful to the greater good. We have important rights on the line still. Seems like it either had to be included in an NFA-bill, but since we got it piece-by-piece, seems unlikely you're going to get a politician behind a MG/DD bill.
View Quote
Not too long ago people on this site were saying we wouldn't see any nfa stuff legalized in their lifetime.

Maybe in 3 years Iowa will become a 2A sanctuary state.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
All well and good with me, but pushing for MG's right now seems like a poor tactical move when we have more important rights on the table. You're inviting national org money into the fight moreso than it is already. It's the pinnacle of people fearing what they don't understand and has such a small target audience to get behind it.

I just don't see it right now unless it's used simply as a bargaining chip and never really has the intention of being fought for.

But I don't work in the statehouse and my rep. is an arrogant jerk.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I could see the wisdom of doing that first.

As for the "I don't feel like I really need a machine gun" crowd, that's a lot like saying I don't really need freedom of the press personally. My take is these are rights we are supposed to have but don't. Just trying to live in a freer state and wondering if anything was in the works.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This... for now
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
This... for now
View Quote
Yep.. In today's climate we will be lucky to get anything.
We all need to concentrate on the same things. Make our voices heard.
Don't pollute the message...

I am not saying NFA wouldn't be nice, but one step at time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I could see the wisdom of doing that first.

As for the "I don't feel like I really need a machine gun" crowd, that's a lot like saying I don't really need freedom of the press personally. My take is these are rights we are supposed to have but don't. Just trying to live in a freer state and wondering if anything was in the works.
View Quote

We are eating an elephant here, let's not try to take down a whole leg in one bite.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top