Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2018 2:55:31 PM EDT
A local skinhead got busted while distributing white supremacy material in a high school owned football stadium in Davenport.

He was carrying a concealed gun.

He is being charged with having a gun on school grounds.

It was my understanding school grounds was the grounds contiguous to the school building.

But a judge has determined the stadium parking lot is school grounds even though it is nowhere near a school.

What is the definition of school grounds?

All of a sudden I need to be concerned with mowing my own lawn while carrying.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
owned by the school? that would be enough. The school doesn't own your property, so, not on School grounds.

Wrong? or am I right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
owned by the school? that would be enough. The school doesn't own your property, so, not on School grounds.

Wrong? or am I right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wrong? or am I right?
View Quote
That's my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
As I understand it, any property owned by a school or in use by a school for a school function at the time of the function. So as I read the OP he would have been in violation if the school owned the stadium or there was a school function at the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]
School system owns that stadium, so yes, it's school property.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Within a 1000 yrds of school owned property, If you are on public property!... Private property is still considered private in this case.

Standing on the side walk in front of your house is up to debate. You own it and are responsible for it but it is public right away...

"Iowa Code section 724.7, as amended, specifically states that a permit is not valid where possessing or carrying a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law. Under federal law, it is generally unlawful to possess a firearm in a “school zone,” subject to exceptions similar to those in the Iowa Code described above. 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2). “School zone” includes the grounds of any public or private elementary or secondary school, as well as all public property within 1,000 feet of such a school. 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25)."
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Within a 1000 yrds of school owned property, If you are on public property!... Private property is still considered private in this case.

Standing on the side walk in front of your house is up to debate. You own it and are responsible for it but it is public right away...

"Iowa Code section 724.7, as amended, specifically states that a permit is not valid where possessing or carrying a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law. Under federal law, it is generally unlawful to possess a firearm in a “school zone,” subject to exceptions similar to those in the Iowa Code described above. 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2). “School zone” includes the grounds of any public or private elementary or secondary school, as well as all public property within 1,000 feet of such a school. 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25)."
View Quote
It is not illegal to possess a weapon w/i 1000 feet of school grounds unless you commit a public offense (crime) with a firearm. If it were illegal to possess a firearm w/i 1000 feet of school grounds and you lived w/i that distance of said property you could not transport to or from said dwelling not to mention passing by in a vehicle or walking on a sidewalk, all of which are legal.

724.4A Weapons free zones — enhanced penalties.
1. As used in this section, “weapons free zone” means the area in or on, or within one
thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary
school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not
include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense
involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this
or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may
otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
94 Acts, ch 1172, §53
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As I understand it, any property owned by a school or in use by a school for a school function at the time of the function. So as I read the OP he would have been in violation if the school owned the stadium or there was a school function at the time.
View Quote
Skinheads suck and should have no place in our society.

School trap shooting teams probably throw that "property in use by a school function" thing into disarray, as long as the athletes stay off of school grounds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

School trap shooting teams probably throw that "property in use by a school function" thing into disarray, as long as the athletes stay off of school grounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes skinheads suck and I have little to no room for them but the discussion is more about a point of law. You and I both know that a school can authorize certain individuals under certain circumstances, especially when the school function involves a firearm.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top