Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2018 7:23:58 PM EDT
Ladies in the bar were telling me new deer season regulation are coming .  Is this true ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The DNR is trying and hasn't provided the public much time to comment.  Some highlights include 6 round limits, no AR pistols w/braces, youth can not hunt with pistols even with adult supervision, etc.  Join IFC, get in the know and make your voice heard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The dnr is trying their normal over reach
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Figures, we finally get rifles added to the ok list and then they want to add mag restrictions and a bunch of other stupid stuff. I supposed they caught some guy doing a 20rd mag dump at deer running across the field or somebody with a brace equipped pistol shooting from a vehicle and now they want to punish everyone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Figures, we finally get rifles added to the ok list and then they want to add mag restrictions and a bunch of other stupid stuff. I supposed they caught some guy doing a 20rd mag dump at deer running across the field or somebody with a brace equipped pistol shooting from a vehicle and now they want to punish everyone.
View Quote
I doubt they needed a reason
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys really need to attend the NRC meeting at the Wallace Building May 10 if you seriously want to keep from losing hunting options.  I've spoken to NRC people and this is the only thing that will keep them from voting for what the DNR's staff has recommended.  They normally have one or two people show up at these meetings.  (Look it up, March 18 when this was initially published they had three show up, and two were lobbyists.)

If you want to keep restrictions on AR pistols and magazine capacity from becoming reality, you HAVE to be there. Emails alone won't do it. I'm not exaggerating; call up members on the NRC and they will tell you that if you don't show up, you will be restricted on this.

I work and have responsibilities, just like you. I get two personal days a year. After speaking with people who will be making decisions, I took the day off work to make this meeting.

If you can't make the time, then don't bitch when they restrict how you hunt. If we get a showing, they will vote this crap down. if you don't show up, you will be saddled with it and I will be pissed every time I hear you whine about how they didn't consider your email.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys really need to attend the NRC meeting at the Wallace Building May 10 if you seriously want to keep from losing hunting options.  I've spoken to NRC people and this is the only thing that will keep them from voting for what the DNR's staff has recommended.  They normally have one or two people show up at these meetings.  (Look it up, March 18 when this was initially published they had three show up, and two were lobbyists.)

If you want to keep restrictions on AR pistols and magazine capacity from becoming reality, you HAVE to be there. Emails alone won't do it. I'm not exaggerating; call up members on the NRC and they will tell you that if you don't show up, you will be restricted on this.

I work and have responsibilities, just like you. I get two personal days a year. After speaking with people who will be making decisions, I took the day off work to make this meeting.

If you can't make the time, then don't bitch when they restrict how you hunt. If we get a showing, they will vote this crap down. if you don't show up, you will be saddled with it and I will be pissed every time I hear you whine about how they didn't consider your email.
View Quote
IFC should post up the emails of the NRC members on their advocacy campaign.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a list of email addresses for the NRC:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Keeping AR pistol restrictions at bay, centerfire handguns in late season muzzleloader, and dropping this idea about silly capacity limitations are definitely something the NRC can do.

You don't need to be a wordsmith.  Just modify the above sentence. Here's what I sent:

Hello,

The NRC needs to stop trying to limit AR pistols (even with braces), stop trying to remove centerfire handguns from the late season muzzleloader season, and not add silly capacity limitations on firearms.

If you want more people to hunt, you need to stop throwing up restrictions that make it less likely someone will want to hunt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks now like I said get it on the IFC call to action email advocacy front page
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks now like I said get it on the IFC call to action email advocacy front page
View Quote
They are in Texas, and they are volunteers. At least one INRC member says that if you want to be heard, do it at least two days in advance.  That is Tuesday.

This seems like a good time to ask you to help yourself. When they put out the email blast, double up your communication. It isn't going to hurt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Damm 6 rounds would take my Henry  44 rifle out of use .
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damm 6 rounds would take my Henry  44 rifle out of use .
View Quote
Yeah and pretty much every semi auto handgun if I'm reading it right
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
NR Hunter here, told them I won't be hunting in Iowa anymore if this happens, because our hunting group, which already seems to get smaller every year will stop hunting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the email alert from IFC today sent it to everyone I know
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
How did it go today?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump on how the NRC meeting went the other day
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Pages 37-44: http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Natural Resource Commission/2018-05-10 NRC agenda-items.pdf?ver=2018-05-03-161823-250

Here is the agenda for today's followup meeting: http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Natural Resource Commission/2018-05-16 NRC agenda-items.pdf?ver=2018-05-14-094924-267

Both links taken from this page: http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/Boards-Commissions/Natural-Resource-Commission
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
So, from what I read, that looks like a W
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Well that’s some good news.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Business as usual then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#23]
So did the AR pistol thing get shot down, or are they still disallowed? Didn't see anything printed in this year's regulations but didn't see anything last year either and people were saying AR pistols and mare's leg lever actions were not allowed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf
I read the entire pamphlet  didn’t see any reg on it .
But I’ve had a dnr  O try to write me a ticket  in my yard  for uncased Gun  while having a permit   While target shooting .
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But I’ve had a dnr  O try to write me a ticket  in my yard  for uncased Gun  while having a permit   While target shooting .
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What county?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I thought about emailing DNR and asking, but after the problem I had this spring I don't dare.

Went fishing with my brother at a stocked pond, caught a limit of northern pike and went home. My brother stayed, and while he had one on his stringer he was confronted by two of what he thought were DNR officers(turned out to be county conservation employees) who hounded him until he let the fish go-the whole "if you keep all these little ones(about 20") there won't be any trophies. He eventually let it go to shut them up.

I emailed DNR mentioning the confrontation, and asked if there is a pond-specific size limit on pike that I didn't know about. Got a phone call from an officer and got my ass chewed for 5-10 minutes before getting an answer. Partly for being mistaken and thinking my brother was approached by DNR, partly for not reading the regulations and "wasting his time"(his words) with an email instead of calling. I figured email was the better way to go, since it was a low priority issue that didn't need an immediate answer.

Anyway, not too keen on sending another email just to be told I should have read the regulations again.

ETA-as for keeping 20" northerns, I was keeping them to eat, not for the wall. IMO that's what a stocked fishery is for-keeping a few to eat and not feeling bad about it. Want them thrown back? Add a publicly-available, commonly known size limit-which they didn't.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought about emailing DNR and asking, but after the problem I had this spring I don't dare.

Went fishing with my brother at a stocked pond, caught a limit of northern pike and went home. My brother stayed, and while he had one on his stringer he was confronted by two of what he thought were DNR officers(turned out to be county conservation employees) who hounded him until he let the fish go-the whole "if you keep all these little ones(about 20") there won't be any trophies. He eventually let it go to shut them up.

I emailed DNR mentioning the confrontation, and asked if there is a pond-specific size limit on pike that I didn't know about. Got a phone call from an officer and got my ass chewed for 5-10 minutes before getting an answer. Partly for being mistaken and thinking my brother was approached by DNR, partly for not reading the regulations and "wasting his time"(his words) with an email instead of calling. I figured email was the better way to go, since it was a low priority issue that didn't need an immediate answer.

Anyway, not too keen on sending another email just to be told I should have read the regulations again.

ETA-as for keeping 20" northerns, I was keeping them to eat, not for the wall. IMO that's what a stocked fishery is for-keeping a few to eat and not feeling bad about it. Want them thrown back? Add a publicly-available, commonly known size limit-which they didn't.
View Quote
I would have got his name and proceeded to raise more hell then they could have ever imagined
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would have got his name and proceeded to raise more hell then they could have ever imagined
View Quote
Nah, I figured for them being assholes I went and took another limit out of the pond-brought me up to possession limit instead of only keeping another one if it was going on the wall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I was keeping tabs on this I have a mares leg  in .44  I wanted to use  . Wasn’t sure in the end and bought a Henry all weather .44  and it is becoming one of my favorites  it rings 6 inch steel at 250 every time !
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was keeping tabs on this I have a mares leg  in .44  I wanted to use  . Wasn’t sure in the end and bought a Henry all weather .44  and it is becoming one of my favorites  it rings 6 inch steel at 250 every time !
View Quote
Saw a guy at the range outside of Cresco with one of those a couple months back..was it you?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Carroll.County.   The mares leg?    I stained my wood black  and leather wrapped the stocks for grip.  It’s a blast to shoot.
Very impressed with the all weather Henry in 44. Buddy has it in45/70. Take them both deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Wasn't you then. I was shoorung woth a couple coworkers and a guy was there with an all weather .44...kind of presented himself like "one of us" without actually saying he was.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top