Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2018 1:41:56 PM EDT
Been out blowing all morning, and it's still freakin coming down!  Calling for 14-18". Damn.
And now my worn out butt is sitting on the couch with the.family watching Frozen.....seemed appropriate
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
what area of IA?
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Mason city.  Anybody else getting pummeled?

And PSA make sure your furnace exhaust and intake are not
Blocked. Went over to my moms today to clean her driveway and her exhaust was about 1/2" from being blocked.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Got quite a bit in Alta Vista too-I'd guess 8"+. Only an hour away in Decorah there's nothing on the ground-have been watching the eagle cam most of the day, they got a slight dusting and it melted.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Spent 9 hours plowing snow in north central Iowa today, it was some heavy wet stuff for sure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#5]
16" in Bremer County. Mother Nature is drunk. Hopefully it won't take very long to melt. I'm itching to get to the range.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spent 9 hours plowing snow in north central Iowa today, it was some heavy wet stuff for sure.
View Quote
Me to, spent 8.5hrs going over the paved roads twice, then spent 2hrs plowing the streets in the little town I live in since the county has the contract for it's snow removal. My old G model Cat wouldn't do much more than 10-12mph with all that heavy wet snow. I'll be glad when I get my new grader so I have some power.

Today we went out and ran our gravel roads and that wasn't much fun either. Roads are a mess now with all the slop on them, and they were just starting to get in nice shape.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
They were still plowing here today and it was heavy.  Saw a plow truck get stuck in the church parking lot even. Spent today redoing the driveway and sidewalks since the city plow plowed them in again.  I am in pretty good shape and even I was sore after today. Already starting to melt thank god.  Now it will just be messy for a while.
However I must say my 4Runner is a beast in this thing. 2" lift and general grabber at2's on TRD pro rims.  It's a sport v8 so it's awd instead of 4wd. Just awesome in this stuff
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
We fueled trucks, put plows on two pick ups and put material on one truck (the easiest to clean out). It worked. We didn't have to push any snow. Our streets stayed wet and only accumulation was in the grass.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We fueled trucks, put plows on two pick ups and put material on one truck (the easiest to clean out). It worked. We didn't have to push any snow. Our streets stayed wet and only accumulation was in the grass.
View Quote
Screw you guys. I'd like a damn weekend off

I was max rpm's and doing 15mph for a while (over an hour)....with a line of smart people behind me, and brave souls passing me.. I saw one guy lose it right in front of me, I almost hit him with the plow when he skidded sideways and then shot off the road. I was entertained.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
We had 16" they say in Rockford.
Wet and heavy; wonder how much it would have been had the temp be 10-20 degrees colder.
Wish it had been 10-20 degrees colder.
Three feet of snow would have been AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We had 16" they say in Rockford.
Wet and heavy; wonder how much it would have been had the temp be 10-20 degrees colder.
Wish it had been 10-20 degrees colder.
Three feet of snow would have been AWESOME!!!
View Quote
I think my roof would have collapsed with that much
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Me to, spent 8.5hrs going over the paved roads twice, then spent 2hrs plowing the streets in the little town I live in since the county has the contract for it's snow removal. My old G model Cat wouldn't do much more than 10-12mph with all that heavy wet snow. I'll be glad when I get my new grader so I have some power.

Today we went out and ran our gravel roads and that wasn't much fun either. Roads are a mess now with all the slop on them, and they were just starting to get in nice shape.
View Quote
Oh boy I thought we were the last people to get rid of our old G. moving from a G to a H is a night and day then when you step up to the 12m oh man!!!

I spent all weekend working clearing and yes it was wet and heavy ground temp was up so that helped on the hard roads but it sucked on the gravels !
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh boy I thought we were the last people to get rid of our old G. moving from a G to a H is a night and day then when you step up to the 12m oh man!!!

I spent all weekend working clearing and yes it was wet and heavy ground temp was up so that helped on the hard roads but it sucked on the gravels !
View Quote
I feel for you county guys-  you're out when the roads are at their worst, no calling in because the roads are too bad to drive. Then the guy digging his driveway out flips you off because your blade knocks more snow in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Feast your eyes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feast your eyes.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416672/20171229_151114-495451.jpg
Broke down?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice but no wing ?
We have one 770d and one 770gp in the fleet i would rather run the new cats any day I love the joystick controls and everything is at your fingertips !
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I suddenly want to buy a road grader
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
My county has three G models left, mines a '96 model which is the newest of the three remaining but it has the most hours at 10k.
I'm pretty sure I'm getting an 12M3. My county has only been buying 140 models(G,H, and the M's)but the engineer asked me if I would be open to trying a 12M since they are supposedly quite a bit cheaper than the 140M3's and spec wise they aren't much smaller than the 140's. I told him it would be a big bump up from my 140G so I'd try one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Went out this morning birdwatching and scouting for a snow goose hunt this weekend-the line between heavy snow and no snow at all was closer to me than I thought. Still have several inches melting in my yard in Alta Vista, but when I got to Cardinal Marsh(near Ridgeway) there was nothing. Managed to find some snows, but they were in the middle of thousands of mallards, Canadas and white-fronted geese so no clear shot. Also found over 30 sandhill cranes and a few pintails and canvasbacks. More mallards than I've ever seen in one place.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you hook a brine trailer up to that?

Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
What length of moldboard are you running on that and how well does it work without the wing? I'd be lost without my wing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Broke down?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice but no wing ?
We have one 770d and one 770gp in the fleet i would rather run the new cats any day I love the joystick controls and everything is at your fingertips !
View Quote
No. It's used in residential.

I couldn't get used to the joystick controls. I need my steering wheel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My county has three G models left, mines a '96 model which is the newest of the three remaining but it has the most hours at 10k.
I'm pretty sure I'm getting an 12M3. My county has only been buying 140 models(G,H, and the M's)but the engineer asked me if I would be open to trying a 12M since they are supposedly quite a bit cheaper than the 140M3's and spec wise they aren't much smaller than the 140's. I told him it would be a big bump up from my 140G so I'd try one.
View Quote
Cat is discontinuing the “140 “ and the 12m is the replacement we just got 3 new ones this year replacing 2 with 15-18k hrs and one that was in a accident. The 12m has less HP but I don’t think you will feel it it’s way in the high end. They are very nice
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What length of moldboard are you running on that and how well does it work without the wing? I'd be lost without my wing.
View Quote
Looks like it’s has a extension installed maybe 16’
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I was thinking. I needed some new bits this morning so I went ahead and put my extension back on so I'm ready for when the roads dry up enough to start blading again, they are going to need it. I did a little blading the last couple weeks but my roads are too wide to really do a good job with the 12' blade. It's going to be a little inconvenient plowing snow with the extra 2' but hopefully we don't have too many snows left.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No. It's used in residential.

I couldn't get used to the joystick controls. I need my steering wheel.
View Quote
Some of the guys I work with have tried the Deere graders and they liked them but our engineer is dead set on only buying cat equipment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. I needed some new bits this morning so I went ahead and put my extension back on so I'm ready for when the roads dry up enough to start blading again, they are going to need it. I did a little blading the last couple weeks but my roads are too wide to really do a good job with the 12' blade. It's going to be a little inconvenient plowing snow with the extra 2' but hopefully we don't have too many snows left.
View Quote
Yes. 16 foot. No wing blade as we don't have any rural areas that would allow us to utilize it and roads big enough have trucks with wings.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some of the guys I work with have tried the Deere graders and they liked them but our engineer is dead set on only buying cat equipment.
View Quote
We have had CAT equipment but we're all Deere now. I'm not entirely sure why but in my experience CAT has terrible customer service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We have had CAT equipment but we're all Deere now. I'm not entirely sure why but in my experience CAT has terrible customer service.
View Quote
I agree, from what I've heard/seen with CAT it's always your fault and not theirs.

Just recently one of CAT powered tandems had a compressor bearing come apart, the engine was a new reman that was still under warranty so it got trailered to Ziegler to get fixed. We got the truck back and discovered that the oil had not been changed so our mechanic dropped the oil and found ball bearings and some other pieces in the oil. Needless to say Ziegler got an unfriendly call to send a tow truck back to get the truck. Long story short they dropped the pan and cleaned out what they found and said the motor will be fine. Warranty is up on the engine in a month so Ziegler said they'd come before warranty is up and take an oil sample and cut the filter open to check for any further damage signs and go from there.

The truck was run 60 miles with the bearings floating around in the oil and a lot of us at work think the motor is compromised, it might not go now but I don't think it's will live a full life.

The guy that has the final say on equipment purchases is a CAT fanboy so nothing will change for us as long as he's in charge.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Just be happy with you have CAT stuff and not every foreign piece of shit imaginable.

Also all this CAT bashing is making this Peoria IL native uncomfortable

Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree, from what I've heard/seen with CAT it's always your fault and not theirs.

Just recently one of CAT powered tandems had a compressor bearing come apart, the engine was a new reman that was still under warranty so it got trailered to Ziegler to get fixed. We got the truck back and discovered that the oil had not been changed so our mechanic dropped the oil and found ball bearings and some other pieces in the oil. Needless to say Ziegler got an unfriendly call to send a tow truck back to get the truck. Long story short they dropped the pan and cleaned out what they found and said the motor will be fine. Warranty is up on the engine in a month so Ziegler said they'd come before warranty is up and take an oil sample and cut the filter open to check for any further damage signs and go from there.

The truck was run 60 miles with the bearings floating around in the oil and a lot of us at work think the motor is compromised, it might not go now but I don't think it's will live a full life.

The guy that has the final say on equipment purchases is a CAT fanboy so nothing will change for us as long as he's in charge.
View Quote
Damn! Bearings in the oil pan? 60 miles with metallic oil isn't great.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just be happy with you have CAT stuff and not every foreign piece of shit imaginable.

View Quote
What's your thoughts on vertical 2 cylinder John Deeres?

Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What's your thoughts on vertical 2 cylinder John Deeres?

View Quote
Why? You're not from Dubuque are you?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree there, it's nice to be able to jump in any piece of equipment we have and the manual of arms is the same. IT did take me awhile to get used to the CAT control pattern for the skid loader I use to build driveways but once I got the hang of it I prefer the CAT way to the other setup.

The M series grader set up is nice but CAT really needs to redesign the heater ductwork so the windows don't keep fogging up. That is one of the biggest complaints our guys(and guys from other counties I've talked to)have. It doesn't matter how warm you let the cab get the windows keep fogging over in the winter, sounds like running the AC a bit helps with fogging. A lot of guys get sore shoulders and wrists from running the joysticks(mainly on the steering side) but I was told the newer 3 series M's have more adjustment in the seat and armrests so you can really fine tune it to your liking.  And the steering speed is adaptive for each gear so there isn't the sudden change in steering speed when you hit the preset MPH like the early M's.

I guess I'll find out sometime this year when my new one comes. I really hope it comes before summer so I don't have to remove the wing post on my G for summer blading then put it back on a couple months later and then get the new one and have to pull everything off that one. I tried leaving my post on last year but it really cuts into the visibility. I'm not really expecting it until fall though since that's when they usually get new equipment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why? You're not from Dubuque are you?
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree there, it's nice to be able to jump in any piece of equipment we have and the manual of arms is the same. IT did take me awhile to get used to the CAT control pattern for the skid loader I use to build driveways but once I got the hang of it I prefer the CAT way to the other setup.

The M series grader set up is nice but CAT really needs to redesign the heater ductwork so the windows don't keep fogging up. That is one of the biggest complaints our guys(and guys from other counties I've talked to)have. It doesn't matter how warm you let the cab get the windows keep fogging over in the winter, sounds like running the AC a bit helps with fogging. A lot of guys get sore shoulders and wrists from running the joysticks(mainly on the steering side) but I was told the newer 3 series M's have more adjustment in the seat and armrests so you can really fine tune it to your liking.  And the steering speed is adaptive for each gear so there isn't the sudden change in steering speed when you hit the preset MPH like the early M's.

I guess I'll find out sometime this year when my new one comes. I really hope it comes before summer so I don't have to remove the wing post on my G for summer blading then put it back on a couple months later and then get the new one and have to pull everything off that one. I tried leaving my post on last year but it really cuts into the visibility. I'm not really expecting it until fall though since that's when they usually get new equipment.
View Quote
My graders heat works good and keeps the windows from fogging up. I can move snow in jeans and a t-shirt.

What county do you work in. I understand if you don't want to say for PERSEC reasons.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I have some ditch pictures that I should be not so quick to admit!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have some ditch pictures that I should be not so quick to admit!
View Quote
I haven't been in the ditch yet in two winters(knock on wood)but many I work with have.

Last winter during one of our late snows when the roads were really slick the guy I share a shop with went in and it took two of us to pull him out. The same day another guy went in the ditch and they had to pull him sideways for about a 100ft until he hit an intersection  which allowed him to get enough traction to climb out.

This year during the 12" storm in March one of our guys went in so bad it took two graders and a front end loader to get him out. The loader was used to hook onto the side because they were afraid he was going to tip over.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Are we all enjoying the swirling circle of perpetual winter?

I checked the weather radar when I left for work last night at 2300, and again around 630 it looked pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
ITS NEVER GOING TO END!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]
It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#43]
We got 14". I spent 4hrs yesterday and another 1.5 this morning working on the streets in town and then spent 11.5hrs working on my country roads. Blacktops are a lot better than they were this morning but gravel roads are a mess. I never did get down all my gravel because they wanted us off the road at 5pm and we had to run our blacktops before we left. Everybody started getting stuck around dinner time when the temps warmed up making the snow got really slick and that really slowed things down.

My streak of not going in the ditch finally ended. I faired better than some since I only had one side just far enough off the road to get me hung up. One easy tug and I was back under my own power.

We're scheduled for 9.5hrs tomorrow so we should be able to get through everything(hopefully) and will probably spend Tues doing touch up work. Then we'll get ready again for the 5-8" that's supposed to come Wed.

ETA. Today was the first time I've had my V-plow on this much and that thing sucks. It's heavy enough that it takes just enough weight off my drives to give me traction issues and the snow coming off my front tires bounces off the back side of the plow and makes it like driving in a blizzard all day.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We got 14". I spent 4hrs yesterday and another 1.5 this morning working on the streets in town and then spent 11.5hrs working on my country roads. Blacktops are a lot better than they were this morning but gravel roads are a mess. I never did get down all my gravel because they wanted us off the road at 5pm and we had to run our blacktops before we left. Everybody started getting stuck around dinner time when the temps warmed up making the snow got really slick and that really slowed things down.

My streak of not going in the ditch finally ended. I faired better than some since I only had one side just far enough off the road to get me hung up. One easy tug and I was back under my own power.

We're scheduled for 9.5hrs tomorrow so we should be able to get through everything(hopefully) and will probably spend Tues doing touch up work. Then we'll get ready again for the 5-8" that's supposed to come Wed.

ETA. Today was the first time I've had my V-plow on this much and that thing sucks. It's heavy enough that it takes just enough weight off my drives to give me traction issues and the snow coming off my front tires bounces off the back side of the plow and makes it like driving in a blizzard all day.
View Quote
I think we had trucks on the road for about 50 hours straight for this past event. Im sure you guys are all pretty over it too.

Wednesday is the last one right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are we all enjoying the swirling circle of perpetual winter?

I checked the weather radar when I left for work last night at 2300, and again around 630 it looked pretty much the same.
View Quote
It was stupid.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
ITS NEVER GOING TO END!!
View Quote
It doesn't feel like it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#47]
very fitting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bummer about the ditch.

We bought two big V blades about 6 years ago and have only used them once to my knowledge. That's fine by me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Be safe out there northern Iowa guys. It’s a mess out there!
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Enough already... WTF
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top