Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/19/2018 10:35:16 PM EDT
The House just passed HJR 2009, the Freedom Bill, and the Senate is primed to pick this up in very short order (I'm told as early as tomorrow - 3/20).

Please help IFC get the word out and make sure every Senator hears the good word -- "it's high time we added the RKBA to the Iowa Constitution."

Here's the link to our pre-written email -- nothing fancy, just straight to the point.
http://iowafc.org/action/?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f57939%2frespond

This is a huge deal for all Iowans, not just gun owners. If we can get this done Iowa will have the gold standard for RKBA amendments. For once we'll be the state that everyone else looks up to on 2A rights!

Please help spread the word!

Thanks everyone!
Kurt
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Word spread... action taken!  Thanks for all you do!
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!

Multiple emails sent to our state senator.  The whole family joins in on contacting our legislators.
Keep us posted on the progress IFC.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for a congrats and big THANK YOU to IFC!!

What's the next hurdle before we get to see it on the ballot in 2020?
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Sent an email this morning to my dipsh*t state senator out of Waterloo who voted no last night.

I was disgusted with the comparisons by the democrats of our Second Amendment civil rights to the school massacre in Florida and zombie apocalypse.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
In order amend the state constitution you must do the following:

1. Draft your desired amendment
2. Pass it through both chambers of the legislature (House and Senate)
3. Pass it through both chambers of the legislature AGAIN in the following General Assembly
4. Pass a vote of the people with a constitutional majority - i.e. 50% +1

Right now we've completed steps 1 & 2. Now we have to essentially repeat step 2 sometime within the next two years, aka the next general assembly of the Iowa legislature. General assemblies in Iowa are 2 years in length, and the next general assembly begins in 2019 (and runs through 2020).

If we can get the legislature to pass the RKBA bill without making any changes to it in 2019 or 2020 THEN it goes on the ballot for the People of Iowa to decide, most likely in the 2020 general election.

There's no denying it's a tough process, but ultimately I think it serves Iowans well. If it were easy to amend the state constitution I'm convinced we'd end up like California with dozens of ballot initiatives every election and what is essentially mob rule. No thank you.

All that being said, it's critical that we, the firearms community, get active this election season. If any of you watched any of the debates on the RKBA bill in the House or Senate you'd see it was obvious that if the Democrats in either chamber had their way they'd kill the RKBA Bill. I'm not one to be alarmist, I hate when people play "Chicken Little" for political gain, but I do want to be honest with everyone. This fall's elections will decide if the RBKA Bill will make it to the ballot in 2020. If we lose a our pro-2A majority in either chamber the RKBA Bill is dead in the water.

No one's going to meet us half way on this. If we want this to happen **we** are going to have to earn it. That means that everyone that reads this needs acknowledge that making this RKBA thing happen requires doing more than taking 5 minutes to check a few boxes on a ballot come election day. "Doing your part" no longer means just voting for the right candidates, it means dragging as many people as possible to the voting booth and getting them to vote for the right candidates.

I'm working through the list of races right now and determining where IFC and our supporters can be most effective. Expect updates and more specifics soon. In the mean time be thinking about the process listed above and how you can help push this across the finish line.

-Kurt
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
@CaesAr15, any word on who IAGOP is looking to put up for senate district 25?  Dix was my senator.  Special election is booked for April already.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@CaesAr15, any word on who IAGOP is looking to put up for senate district 25?  Dix was my senator.  Special election is booked for April already.
View Quote
GOP has put up a gal by the name of Annette Sweeney. She's actually a former state rep who was in the House from '09 to '12.

The fact that she has experience campaigning and legislating is encouraging. I just checked her voting record from when she was in the House -- she voted FOR Shall Issue in 2010. She also voted for our 2012 Stand Your Ground bill that passed the House, and for the 2012 version the RKBA amendment.

I'll let you make your opinion, but when it comes to the 2A issue, I'm encouraged by what I see in Ms. Sweeney.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GOP has put up a gal by the name of Annette Sweeney. She's actually a former state rep who was in the House from '09 to '12.

The fact that she has experience campaigning and legislating is encouraging. I just checked her voting record from when she was in the House -- she voted FOR Shall Issue in 2010. She also voted for our 2012 Stand Your Ground bill that passed the House, and for the 2012 version the RKBA amendment.

I'll let you make your opinion, but when it comes to the 2A issue, I'm encouraged by what I see in Ms. Sweeney.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I contacted her through FB, confirmed she DOES support HJR 2009.  FYI.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump for Sweeney wins Senate district 25 seat, WOOT!!

ETA: only won with 56% of the vote though.  We gotta stay on our game.  That seems like way too close a race for district 25
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bump for Sweeney wins Senate district 25 seat, WOOT!!

ETA: only won with 56% of the vote though.  We gotta stay on our game.  That seems like way too close a race for district 25
View Quote
Yes, way too close a race for a very traditional conservative district.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top