Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/19/2018 5:58:35 PM EDT
I was laid off last year after 14 years with a company and am still looking for a job.  I was a department manager at a grocery store for many years and was in IT for just over a year at a corporate office; very basic entry level IT, I have no formal education in IT.  I've applied to numerous places and had several interviews but haven't found anything yet.

Does any one know of a specific, decent job in central Iowa to which I can apply?  I'm in Boone and am willing to commute; I was driving to and from West Des Moines every day when I was working.  I've a family so 1st shift/daytime hours are important.

I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I will keep an eye out for you.  The salary range your looking for would help though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
$15/hour and up.  Was up to $22/hour when laid off but I'm willing to take less for the time being.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Im from the Panora area, ill keep an eye out and ear open
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The Union Pacific Railroad is offering $10k signing bonuses for new hire conductors. Go to their website Up.com and get the details.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The Union Pacific Railroad is offering $10k signing bonuses for new hire conductors. Go to their website Up.com and get the details.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If it comes to it wells fargo hires collectors starting at 15/hr but the shift would be 1-9 and either sun-thurs or tues-sat
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you looking for IT or open to other things? I know lots of people in lots of business types in the Panora, Boone, Perry, Jefferson area. I live in the Guthrie, Carroll, Green Audubon county area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't think of a bigger waste of time than I spent filling out millions of miles of bullshit for UPR through their application process online, providing them with verifiable information and then not hear a word from them.  I would rather stand in 45 degree rain for 6 six hours outside the an Army chow hall in a T-shirt than deal with that shit again.

I'll keep an eye out, OP.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't like that 22 years ago when I went to work, I would agree that they got some real dumb asses in management.
They are hurting for new employees now so maybe the would process the stuff faster, hell they are offering $10k extra to hire. The job has the potential to pay you $100k plus a year.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can't think of a bigger waste of time than I spent filling out millions of miles of bullshit for UPR through their application process online, providing them with verifiable information and then not hear a word from them.  I would rather stand in 45 degree rain for 6 six hours outside the an Army chow hall in a T-shirt than deal with that shit again.

I'll keep an eye out, OP.
View Quote
Thanks guys.

My dad worked the railroad for 30 years (first for the CNW, then for the UP) and hated every minute of it. He was never home and when he was, he was asleep. It's good money, but railroading isn't for me.

I can't believe how long it's taking to find a job. You'd think a half-way intelligent, able bodied, hard working young guy would be able to find something decent right away, but you'd be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you looking for IT or open to other things? I know lots of people in lots of business types in the Panora, Boone, Perry, Jefferson area. I live in the Guthrie, Carroll, Green Audubon county area.
View Quote
Open to other things. I can provide my resume and references to anyone interested.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Fareway had signs out advertising for warehouse jobs, don’t know if they’re still hiring or not.

I work in Boone I’ll keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Some people on the railroad get hooked on the road jobs, I worked 18years doing that crap and finally came around to working yard and local stuff, whole different life.
Good luck finding a job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Prairie Meadows is hiring for an A/V tech. They want to full the position asap. Good pay but varied hours.

I just heard about this from someone who works there so I thought I'd give you a heads up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Prairie Meadows is hiring for an A/V tech. They want to full the position asap. Good pay but varied hours.

I just heard about this from someone who works there so I thought I'd give you a heads up.
View Quote
Thanks!  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
For that low of pay I would be concentrating my efforts on being A LOT closer to home.

Like I said if you are open to other avenues there are literally TONS of jobs around you.

Ames has tons of jobs, Huxley has jobs, Boone has jobs, Ogden area, Jefferson area. Perry area etc all have a decent amount of varied jobs.

They also are a hell of a lot closer then looking in Altoona for sub $16 or less jobs.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top