Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/5/2017 8:48:42 PM EDT
Have 65 acres of hunting/recreational property here in Iowa and I think its time to sell. We do not want to list it through all the companies that want to charge and arm and a leg for something we can do ourselves. Any of you guys here have more experience then I do on the subject? (wouldn't take much lol)

Just looking for any pointers or just general things to be aware of. I am only marketing it through places like Facebook, Craigslist, word of mouth.

We really do not want to sell but I am the only one who uses the property and its too far away for what I would like to do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is your ground at? There are realtors who take a pre arraigned fix amount instead of a percentage.  Depending on what county your land is in I'm sure there are also lawyers who will do the transfer and paperwork on a set amount.  Find someone in the county where the land is located and work a deal then advertise in the Des Moines Register or the next biggest town to you property.   Hunting and recreational land is always in demand.  Tillable land goes for even more.   I suggest a survey to get the exact size and advertise it accurately especially if any of the ground is tillable or pasture where cattle or sheep can graze.  Do not depend on the County recorder or tax assessor to get it right.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't want to use realtors or those sites and get ripped off for something I can do myself. As far as the other stuff done and done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sent you an email.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Got it, check your email.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yammer as soon as I saw this topic I thought of you and lo and behold you were the first person to respond.  Get ahold of me sometime and we'll head down to our place and you can see if there's any vermin you'd be interested in taking care of.

countryboy I understand where you're coming from as I'm in the same boat as you except my properties are 80+ acres in Idaho, 5.5 acres in Florida and multiple acreages in Arizona...although I may use a realtor(s) in Arizona.  Wife says she's planning on retiring in a little over 2 years, wants us to be totally debt free when she does (I could also retire at the same time) and then asks me "how am I going to make it happen?"  It'll break my heart to sell the ranch in Idaho but I'm not able to hike or enjoy it now and wanted something back here we could all enjoy and pass down to our daughter.  The disconnect comes when she wants to use the money from the sale of the Idaho property to pay off all the bills and I want the other portion of it to buy another piece of property in Iowa.  I think we'll have to settle this at a restaurant over a pizza and a beer(s).
View Quote
Keep the 80+ wife and I agreed when our Iowa property is paid for we want something in located nowhere !
I understand your situation I'd just have a hard time getting rid of property
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yammer as soon as I saw this topic I thought of you and lo and behold you were the first person to respond.  Get ahold of me sometime and we'll head down to our place and you can see if there's any vermin you'd be interested in taking care of.

countryboy I understand where you're coming from as I'm in the same boat as you except my properties are 80+ acres in Idaho, 5.5 acres in Florida and multiple acreages in Arizona...although I may use a realtor(s) in Arizona.  Wife says she's planning on retiring in a little over 2 years, wants us to be totally debt free when she does (I could also retire at the same time) and then asks me "how am I going to make it happen?"  It'll break my heart to sell the ranch in Idaho but I'm not able to hike or enjoy it now and wanted something back here we could all enjoy and pass down to our daughter.  The disconnect comes when she wants to use the money from the sale of the Idaho property to pay off all the bills and I want the other portion of it to buy another piece of property in Iowa.  I think we'll have to settle this at a restaurant over a pizza and a beer(s).
View Quote
Hey bud will trade ya for that 5.5 near Panama! Will give me a good reason to convince the family to get rid of the property in Daytona!

All joking aside its really an awesome property with wish I could do more with it but unfortunately its about 27 miles away (I know that not really that far) but I should easily be able to get somthing similiar right here where I'm at. Also, your wife sounds like a smart woman. I hear ya about the daughter I am still young and dumb but I have 2 daughters of my own and thats what I am doing as well trying to hold on to what we have left as a family and keep it going.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Keep the 80+ wife and I agreed when our Iowa property is paid for we want something in located nowhere !
I understand your situation I'd just have a hard time getting rid of property
View Quote
Ill sell you one better.... our property is in Iowa and is literally in the middle of nowhere, no real neighbors, HUGE sections. Surrounded by non used roads. I mean its literally about as out there as you can get in Iowa. Also not to far of a drive as its kind of in central Iowa.... My IM BOX will await all your monies....
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ill sell you one better.... our property is in Iowa and is literally in the middle of nowhere, no real neighbors, HUGE sections. Surrounded by non used roads. I mean its literally about as out there as you can get in Iowa. Also not to far of a drive as its kind of in central Iowa.... My IM BOX will await all your monies....
View Quote
Already have a home in Iowa want something away from here and away from civilization for our land/vacation spot will be 15 years are so
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I know, was just kidding with you. I hear ya I love it out west, spent lots of time in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana. LOVE it out there. However I also love it here. However I also love it down in Florida.

I am lucky enough to be able to spend lots of time traveling and having fun. Not sure where life will take me later but for right now I have a couple babies and right here is cheap and easy and where I'm from and what I know so until then just trying to make things easier.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I did not get it. Ill try sending you one with my contact info.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
or get it from yammer..... had a nice chat with him earlier today
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
or get it from yammer.....
View Quote
I must be misunderstanding.  Was I supposed to send an email other than the one above?  
My username at yahoo will always get you to me.

I always enjoy talking to other arfcommers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
no i was telling booger that if he wanted to shoot the breeze since I didn't get his message, that if you and him knew each other you had my contact info is all...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
IM sent
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
no i was telling booger that if he wanted to shoot the breeze since I didn't get his message, that if you and him knew each other you had my contact info is all...
View Quote
It takes me a while, but I get there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
"Happens to the best of us Jim." haha

timthemedic sent you one back.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top