Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 5:09:13 PM EDT
Any of you a reserve police officer?  Sounds like a good part time job.  They are doing the testing on 9/24.  The 1.5 mile in 14.5 minutes may be the hard part.  Upon hiring, you have to get certified within 18 months which they pay for at Hawkeye community college.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any of you a reserve police officer?  Sounds like a good part time job.  They are doing the testing on 9/24.  The 1.5 mile in 14.5 minutes may be the hard part.  Upon hiring, you have to get certified within 18 months which they pay for at Hawkeye community college.
View Quote

That's just under a 10 minute mile. You should be able to saunter 6 mph for 14.5 minutes pretty easily. If not you may want to start working on your cardio.

I'd be more than happy to help you out, where abouts are you from?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in neia. Little town called Charles City.  I figure the 1.5 miles could be done at a brisk walk.  It will be done at the high school track.  Not sure how many times around the track it will be.  From my house to the stop down the road is about 2 miles. Going to try to jog it and time myself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at the physical requirement this is what I got to do for my age bracket.

Sit and reach 14.3"
Not sure if that isc14.3" past my toes, but I can't even touch my toes

1 minute sit ups 29. No problem

1 minute push ups 18. No problem

1.5 mile 14.29 minutes. That's like 6 times around the high School track. Probably a problem.

I got until Sept 24 to do this.  Hope I can achieve this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm familiar with Charles city.

Make certain you are doing your push ups with proper form. Chest on the deck to arms at full lock.

A good hamstring stretch every day and every night will greatly improve your sit and reach.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking at the physical requirement this is what I got to do for my age bracket.

Sit and reach 14.3"

1.5 mile 14.29 minutes. That's like 6 times around the high School track. Probably a problem.

View Quote

And just a thought - is this really a good idea? It may only be charles City, but you admittedly lack the physical fitness to run down an 8 year old girl.

This isn't a job to be taken lightly - your life and your partners life may be on the line.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you looking at it as a side income or volunteering your time(giving back to the community). Most reserve LEO are volunteer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you looking at it as a side income or volunteering your time(giving back to the community). Most reserve LEO are volunteer.
View Quote

Lil of both. It pays when on duty, but the extra income From it isn't the reason. It's not much to justify doing it.   I bet full time pay starting out is probably less than what I'm making now. I think it Be a good career opportunity. Spoke the the chief yesterday. He said most reserve officers become full-time.  But first I got to pass this physical testing.  I'm not sure how this sit and stretch is done and how it's measured.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And just a thought - is this really a good idea? It may only be charles City, but you admittedly lack the physical fitness to run down an 8 year old girl.

This isn't a job to be taken lightly - your life and your partners life may be on the line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sit and reach 14.3"

Think I can do the 1.5 miles. I have to keep a steady pace at around 7mph. As far as is it a good idea, I think so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#10]
You're over 40 years old and just now want to get into this? You realize what you're getting into right?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to...you can.

I was in retail for 24 years before I got into LE.

That was at 40.  Been in LE for 17 now.  

PERSONALLY, I wouldn't recommend it.  Very bad time to be a cop in the US.

Good luck, and be safe though!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're over 40 years old and just now want to get into this? You realize what you're getting into right?
View Quote

Yes. For the most part...  

I've been working out every day.  Mostly stretching, doing push ups and sit ups. I'm not out of shape or over weight. I don't think the 1.5 Mike run will be as hard as I was thinking.  Going to jog the track and get a time.  I got to do 6 laps.  I think the walk path at Rudd is a mile.   Maybe a half mile not sure.  Probably take the family out there.  This sit and reach is What I really got to work on.  I can almost touch my toes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've been working out every day.  Mostly stretching, doing push ups and sit ups. I'm not out of shape or over weight. I don't think the 1.5 Mike run will be as hard as I was thinking.  Going to jog the track and get a time.  I got to do 6 laps.  I think the walk path at Rudd is a mile.   Maybe a half mile not sure.  Probably take the family out there.  This sit and reach is What I really got to work on.  I can almost touch my toes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not referring to being out of shape. It sounds to me like you've got that covered. I'm talking about the bullshit. Like someone above stated, this isn't the best time to be a cop. I mean, if this is something you really have thought through and you really want to do it then best of luck. Just make sure you nail the run. Do the complete PT test all together a few times before test day. Don't just work on each exercise individually.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Past couple weeks I've been working out and jogging.  Haven't had junk food in 2 weeks.  Stopped drinking pop over a year ago.  I mainly drink water.   Today I ran around the rudd park pond. According to my GPS it's 1 mile around.  Me and my 11 year old daughter ran it in 8.02 minutes. I think it's a good time since I haven't ran since high school 26 years ago.  According to my wife she googled the distance and its 1.36 miles.  So I'm looking to do this 1.5 miles at around 11 minutes.which is a minute faster than the fastest time.   I got to work on my sit ups in a minute.  Fingers interlocked behind the head is tougher than with my arms crossed on chest. My goal is 50 sit ups and push ups in a minute.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I passed the physical testing. My mile and a half tho I was disappointed in myself with, but I made it in the time requirement. There was suppose to be 7 guys and 1 female for the testing, but it was just me and 3 other guys who showed up.  The youngest guy who was 20 or 21 failed the sit ups so he was eliminated.  

Saturday I helped out sandbagging all day till 10 p.m. after the testing. The reserve officer that was there for the testing was there at the sandbag location too.  He was assigned there for the day so I got a lot of useful information about what to expect.  Him and a county officer put in good words to the officer who did the training and same to another officer.  Helping out bcause of the flood put me in a good spotlight to the local pd.  I'm looking forward to this and hope it all works out for the best.  I can do ride alongs before being hired so I'll do that. Some may think this isn't a good idea, but it's something I regret not doing a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats! what happens next? Do you just wait for a letter in the mail?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The captain said it may take a while but he would call to set up the interview. Right now there is only one reserve officer, so they have spots open.  They'll do the background check and  I'll have to take the mmpi test.  I googled it and that has me worried.  Not really sure what to expect out of that.  Some of the true and false test questions I found online, I have no idea what they mean by it and or what some of it is.  Like "am I a good mixer"

The reserve officer said it was 6 months after his hire date before he was on patrol.  There's 6 modules you have to complete.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The MMPI is a freaking riot.
I think it was like 750 fill-in-the-dot, yes/no questions.
They're looking for patterns and consistency so just answer the questions and answer them honestly.
One might be "Have you ever lied?"
100 or more questions later you might get "Have you ever fibbed?"
Couple hundred later you'll get "Have you ever stretched the truth?"
One of the first when I took it was "Would you enjoy the work of a librarian?"
Another was "Have you ever read a newspaper report of someone committing a crime and secretly hoped they got away with it?"
How are you supposed to answer that when you're applying to a police department?
How about, "Have you ever enjoyed watching a house burn?"
Lots of trip you up questions.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#19]
We had several people at our place fail the MMPI.

They scheduled an "after" interview (with a shrink?...don't remember)

I don't remember any that did NOT get hired.

(When you get to the polygraph, and they ask you the "sex with animals" question...

just try to not think about the pet goat your friend had.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The captain said it may take a while but he would call to set up the interview. Right now there is only one reserve officer, so they have spots open.  They'll do the background check and  I'll have to take the mmpi test.  I googled it and that has me worried.  Not really sure what to expect out of that.  Some of the true and false test questions I found online, I have no idea what they mean by it and or what some of it is.  Like "am I a good mixer"

The reserve officer said it was 6 months after his hire date before he was on patrol.  There's 6 modules you have to complete.  

View Quote

The mmpi is a joke. Just read the question/statement and go with your first instinct for true or false. DO NOT dwell on the question. You can't "fail" the test but depending on your answers you may have a follow up "chat" with a shrink. It's no big deal. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#21]
As noted, the MMPI is not much, mostly a test to to see if you can stay awake.
It is state of the art for the 1940s... enjoy the florist questions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Well OP, how did you do?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The MMPI is a freaking riot.
I think it was like 750 fill-in-the-dot, yes/no questions.
They're looking for patterns and consistency so just answer the questions and answer them honestly.
One might be "Have you ever lied?"

How about, "Have you ever enjoyed watching a house burn?"
]
View Quote

I would have to answer yes to that one-but it was a fire department training burn that I got to watch. I enjoyed it.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top