Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2015 6:00:36 PM EDT
A friend of mine just told me that Iowa now requires more than just going to the Sheriff's Office and renewing your existing CCW permit. He said that you have to do a class. True or not?

Also, I now live in a neighboring county from where my permit was issued. Does that make it more of a hassle to get a new permit in the county I now live in?

I would look this up, but I'm at work and thought if anyone knew off the top of their heads, that'd be easier. Thank you, and have a Merry Christmas, guys.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Class yes.  Shoot no.  Shooting was never required.  

I just took a low light shooting class for fun.  Should be good to go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A friend of mine just told me that Iowa now requires more than just going to the Sheriff's Office and renewing your existing CCW permit. He said that you have to do a class. True or not?

Also, I now live in a neighboring county from where my permit was issued. Does that make it more of a hassle to get a new permit in the county I now live in?

I would look this up, but I'm at work and thought if anyone knew off the top of their heads, that'd be easier. Thank you, and have a Merry Christmas, guys.  
View Quote

You either have to take a class and get a 'renewal' permit for $25 or you can just wait until there is less than 30 days before your current permit expires and apply for a new permit for $50. If your permit expires then it's still going to be a $50 application for a new permit. The difference is that when you apply for the cheaper renewal you have to have proof that you took a class within the twelve months preceding the expiration of your current permit. Whether you moved counties affects if you have to apply for a new rather than a renewal permit is a question of contention at the moment. I say it shouldn't matter, different sheriff's offices give contradicting answers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, fellas....thank you. So, if I'm just going to apply for a brand new (not a renewal) permit in my new county, then the online course that my friend used to get his permit is acceptable?

http://www.carryiowa.com/index.php   Like this?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Online class will suffice.  Save yourself about $15 here.

www.10-8firearmsinstruction.com
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Iowa Firearms Coalition has a good article on the renewal process called Renewing your Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons

http://iowafc.org/blog/2015/08/28/renewing-your-iowa-permit-to-carry-weapons/
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, all.    
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome, fellas....thank you. So, if I'm just going to apply for a brand new (not a renewal) permit in my new county, then the online course that my friend used to get his permit is acceptable?

http://www.carryiowa.com/index.php   Like this?
View Quote

If you moved to a diffrent county than where your original permit was issued you have to go the new route anyway
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
QUESTION: I hold a Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons, but have moved to a different county since the permit was issued. Can the Sheriff of my new county of residence renew my permit?
ANSWER: It is the DPS view that a Sheriff cannot renew a permit that the Sheriff’s Office did not previously issue. As such, an application for a “new” permit would need to be submitted to the Sheriff of the new county of residence.

It's certainly nice when a Bureau has a "view" of things that don't make sense and aren't in the code.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top