Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2015 10:31:28 PM EDT
I'm not really interested in getting into the tactical reasons not to open carry, just pointing out an incident.

I was a bit disappointed to see a gun open carry in a thigh holster in Ohanas Restaurant tonight, with his kids and other family members at dinner. It looked like he was consuming an alcoholic beverage.

Clearly not the brightest bulb on the tree. No disturbance was created, but clearly those of us paying attention picked up on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess there is a guy who frequents the Hy Vee in Pleasant Hill and carries in a drop leg holster. There used to also be a couple who always walked around the DSM gun show with double drop leg holsters and CCW badges. It takes all types I guess, and some people think it doesn't matter but it doesn't shine a good light on gun owners IMHO. I guess I still support the right to look like an idiot if they want too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a guy up here in Menards oc'ing a desert eagle. I don't have an opinion on open vs. concealed, I just thought it was an odd choice of a pistol to carry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a guy up here in Menards oc'ing a desert eagle. I don't have an opinion on open vs. concealed, I just thought it was an odd choice of a pistol to carry.
View Quote

All that was is a looky here and see what I got
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a couple I see in mason city every once in a while. One day at mills he had a small pistol on his hip. Nothing too unusual, but his wife/girlfriend had a single action revolver with a 10ish" barrel and a frilly leather cowboy holster with long tassels hanging from it.  The end of the barrel was down to her knee.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

His wife carries a Raging Bull in .454 under one arm, another in .500 under the other arm, and a .44 in a thigh holster. They are well-known attention whores.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a couple I see in mason city every once in a while. One day at mills he had a small pistol on his hip. Nothing too unusual, but his wife/girlfriend had a single action revolver with a 10ish" barrel and a frilly leather cowboy holster with long tassels hanging from it.  The end of the barrel was down to her knee.
View Quote

Sounds like the same two.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you want to bet that she can't shoot either of them worth a damn ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you want to bet that she can't shoot either of them worth a damn ?
View Quote

I'd bet   that only 5%-10% of people who have those calibers are good with them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately only about 50% of people are just adequate with the caliber they carry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

His wife carries a Raging Bull in .454 under one arm, another in .500 under the other arm, and a .44 in a thigh holster. They are well-known attention whores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats taking attention whoring to a new level
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot to mention, the first time I saw them was in Fleet Farm. I was buying a Mosin(when they were $89), and they showed up. Wearing Made in China white camo BDUs, and the above mentioned guns. I was filling out paperwork and she came strutting up. "I HAVE $1200. I NEED TWO MORE GUNS!".
She ended up buying a 9MM and a .45 to carry SOB style, one over each butt cheek.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I think they are the same clowns that hang out downtown with their motorcycles on the weekends.  Totally lame.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread needs pics
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
This weekend I saw a fella open carrying in North Grand Mall in Ames. The signs posted at the mall doors state no weapons.
Reminded me of the older white male open carrying at the State Fair Grounds. That is misdemeanor.

I think both of those restrictions are ridiculous but are these folks operating under ignorance or rebellion?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This weekend I saw a fella open carrying in North Grand Mall in Ames. The signs posted at the mall doors state no weapons.
Reminded me of the older white male open carrying at the State Fair Grounds. That is misdemeanor.

I think both of those restrictions are ridiculous but are these folks operating under ignorance or rebellion?
View Quote

Signs carry no force of law under Iowa law at places not specifically covered by Iowa or Federal statute. In other words signs mean squat at normal businesses, parks and other public areas. If asked to leave a business and you refuse you can be charged with trespass. Parks don't fall under that as it is public domain however use of a weapon in a park is a misdemeanor. The state fairgrounds however is a different situation. During the fair no weapons is covered under Iowa Administrative Law and is at least a misdemeanor. Since I never go there I am not sure about other times but I believe it only applies during the fair. If I missed something someone will be along to correct me or add to mine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

What did the fella at North Grand look like/when did you see them?  I was there Saturday morning and at one point my coat got caught on my holster exposing it.  I thought I caught it quickly and covered it.  Just making sure it wasn't me.  I did see the signs and decided to ignore them.  If anybody had noticed and asked me to leave I would have.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top