Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy an 11-87 with 2 diff. hunting length barrels.

I haven't seen it yet, so unsure of cond., or what exactly the barrels are.

Says he was asking $800, but would take $500.

Isn't that a little (or a lot ) on the high side?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's a Premier with good wood and no rust, $500 with 2 barrels is probably a decent deal.  A brand new Sportsman model 11-87 is $667 on CTD, but that's with the single barrel.  Additional barrels are, what, about $200 for aftermarket?  A Remmy barrel will be much more, I think.  For $500, I would at least take a look at it.  

Personally, I love my 11-87 Premier.  Purchased in 1988 and haven't looked back.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a my 11-87 special purpose about 10 years ago for $400 with only one barrel and wood stocks.  I think $500 today for a SP or Premier in Very good shape would be fair
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd do $500 for any 11-87 in good shape with 2 correct and good barrels. One thing to watch for is that the barrels are for an 11-87. Some but not all 1100 barrels will function on an 11-87. Best to look it up on the web, I don't remember which ones anymore. One thing that has a big effect on the function is the condition of the gas chamber and the o-ring and everything being correctly installed. Just pull the barrel and forend and look at it. If it is dirty a good cleaning will do wonders, if it is beat up shoot it first. The o-ring is an easy replacement.

A properly functioning 11-87 is an easy shooting, I will assume, 12 ga. I can shoot 3" magnums or slugs in a t-shirt w/o feeling beat up and mine has the synthetic stocks so it is lighter than the wood models. That is where gas outshines inertia in my opinion given a proper fit on either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a (handful) of new O-rings regardless. They're cheap insurance.

Worst case, buy it for $500 and sell the slug barrel for $125-150. A $350 11-87 is a smoking deal and no one's going to argue that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for late reply.  

I'll check with him and see if he'll take less.

Thanks for the info and replies.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top