Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/16/2015 6:16:45 PM EDT
IGO trying to tank the omnibus bill this year is nothing new.  They have a habit of trying to kill NRA/IFC bills.

In 2011, IFC and NRA were pushing something called the NIAA bill, or NICS Improvement Amendments Act, SF456.

This was a carefully crafted piece of legislation designed to restore gun rights to folks who had lost them for mental health reasons but had gotten better, chief among whom are veterans with PTSD issues.

You'll note the bill number was SF456 short for Senate File 456 - the bill originated in the senate.  At the time, the GOP had taken over the house in Iowa just after the 2010 midterms, but the senate remained under Democratic control.  That situation remains the same today.  So it's vitally important that any bill be able to get past the senate.

SF456 passed the senate 50-0 thanks to the hard work of IFC and NRA educating everyone about why the bill was a no-brainer.

When it came time to vote on the bill in the House, along comes IGO's stooge Rep. Tom Shaw with an amendment to tack on constitutional carry.

Any amendments to the bill would have to be approved by the senate.  The senate had already passed the bill, and if it passed the house unchanged it would go to the governor's desk.

Now,  knowing that the senate was under democratic control, adding constitutional carry language would have killed a good bill even though constitutional carry would pass the house.  A perfect example of a poison pill amendment.

But good bills don't matter to IGO, they want to force votes so they can tell you that all of the republicans are anti-gun.  The amendment was ruled non-germane, and Rep. Shaw moved to suspend the rules to consider the amendment.

The motion to suspend the rules failed 91-6, thankfully.

IGO then turned around and used that vote to decry many solid pro-2A Republicans like Rep. Matt Windschitl, who is THE 2A legislator in Iowa.  Bar none.  You can read all of Aaron Dorr's whinging here.  A small sample:

Yesterday we informed you that dozens and dozens of House Republicans voted against
Constitutional Carry.

For many, this was in direct violation of their signed 2010 Gun Rights Candidate Survey.

For all of them this was in direct violation of the Republican Party of Iowa platform
wherein it says, “We demand full restoration of 2nd Amendment rights and call for a state
law authorizing law-abiding citizens to carry firearms, open or concealed, without a permit.” (7.15)
View Quote

Starting to get the picture?  Rep. Windschitl was quoted on the topic by a MN blog covering Aaron Dorr's brother Chris:

I called Representative Windschitl yesterday.  We talked for about a half hour.  The keystone of the conversation was an incident in the Iowa legislature in 2011.  As Windschitl relates, the GOP caucus was pushing a bill in both chambers to allow combat veterans who’d suffered from PTSD, and had that notification put into the national NICS databases (disqualifying them from gun purchases) an avenue to get their rights restored.

There had been, earlier in the session, a debate about introducing “Alaska Carry” – legalizing carry without a permit, as in Alaska, Vermont and Arizona – and/or “Constitutional Carry” (making carry laws a part of the Constitution) in Iowa.  The bill had died…

…but the measure to restore veterans’ rights was alive and well, and had passed the Senate.   All it needed was to pass the House.

Said Windschitl, “we took months to get everyone in on it.  The NRA, Aaron Dorr (leader of Iowa Gun Owners) – we were going to write some bridge language [to make the bill mesh with the Senate version for easy passage].

Then, says Windschitl, “an hour before the final debate on the bill [to restore veterans' rights], a [junior GOP rep and IGO supporter] intorduced a “kill all” amendment reintroducing “Constitutional Carry”.

The Speaker and the legislator spent hours on procedural maneuvering – attempts to suspend the rules and other parliamentary shenanigans, all of which failed.
View Quote

These miserable fucks can't manage to get any of their own bills out of subcommittee, so they have to play tricks and try to tank other bills.  If they'd actually try working with the WHOLE legislature like NRA and IFC do, they might get somewhere.  But instead they have one or two legislators doing their bidding, and they get nowhere because they're the type of people who couldn't make friends with a puppy.

It's a good thing the amendment failed, because the underlying bill was a great thing.  From IFC's 2011 2011 year in review:

NIAA – Gun Rights Restoration

Signed into law by Governor Terry Branstad on April 19, this new law improves the language under last session's "shall-issue" carry reform law and updates Iowa state law to meet the requirements set forth in the federal NICS Improvement Amendments Act (NIAA).

Individuals who have been placed under certain types of mental health-related orders are prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms. The NIAA establishes clear standards for states to use in crafting laws to provide persons subject to these prohibitions a means of relief. The new law, under the guidelines established by the NIAA, will now allow a court to grant relief from the federal prohibition upon a finding that the petitioner will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that the granting of the relief would not be contrary to the public interest.

Additionally, for the first time in Iowa history the new law provides Iowans - including military service members and veterans - the ability to have their gun rights restored. Also of note, this legislation was unanimously passed in both the state House and Senate.

To date, 8 Iowans have applied for their rights to be restored and 6 have been restored. The remaining 2 were not denied, but rather had errors in their filing and needed to be resubmitted.
View Quote

And a bit more from IFC about the IGO shenanigans in 2011:

NIAA Bill and "Permitless Carry"

The NIAA legislation was a "must-pass" bill that created a gun rights restoration process while improving the reporting of federally disqualified individuals - due to mental health or substance abuse orders - to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). This important legislation ultimately passed both chambers unanimously. Unfortunately, one organization thought it wise to play politics with the NIAA bill. Because broad bipartisan commitments had been made not to amend this important bill, no other amendments were considered.

While the IFC was working with state legislators and the NRA to perfect a suitable alternative and ultimately forward progress on permitless carry, one supposed "gun-rights" organization decided to take the NRA's unreleased permitless carry language and attempt to force a House floor vote during debate on the NIAA bill.

A major reason for the failure of the permitless carry amendment—on a procedural vote—was the underlying legislation was deemed of immediate importance and adding the permitless carry amendment would have effectively "killed" the legislation. Despite the state House's near unanimous vote against the permitless carry amendment, it in no way depicts the lack of support for gun issues or the permitless carry issue. In fact, many strongly pro-gun legislators, including state Representative Matt Windschitl (R-56), voted against the amendment to preserve the underlying bill. Nobody would doubt his support for firearm rights, as this session alone, he sponsored a number of pro-gun bills including IFC/NRA's HF 573, "Stand Your Ground."

We believe that the fundamental right to keep and bear arms should be protected and restored. Twenty-five years ago, fewer than ten states made it possible for average, honest citizens to carry firearms for self-defense. Today, as a result of the NRA's efforts, more than forty states respect that right – including Iowa.

IFC supports the NRA on permitless carry legislation and they have successfully helped enact such statutes in Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming, and sought this year to pass similar laws in Colorado, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and even the Hawkeye state.
View Quote

It all boils down to this: if IGO can't have everything, he/they/it would have nothing at all.

Even if it means screwing veterans.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only gotten into gun rights in the last few years, but wow.  I despise them for their antics last year, let alone this year.  But all that, I'm sure you guys that have been around a while have a white hot hate for them.  Lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only gotten into gun rights in the last few years, but wow.  I despise them for their antics last year, let alone this year.  But all that, I'm sure you guys that have been around a while have a white hot hate for them.  Lol
View Quote

What fuels my rage is when I happen to stop by a gun show and there are 3 or 4 people working a booth for IGO and they are screaming at me about how what ever item they are zeroed in on that year would send me to jail instantly if I made a mistake.  Or something like that.  They hand out 'petitions' which are nothing more than a vehicle for them to get your address phone and email so they can bug you once a week or more about giving them money.  This year was stand your ground.  I think syg is an important issue.  But they only had one person to prop up as the guy who went to jail for SYG.  The guy in question didn't go to jail...he stayed in lock up because he wouldn't post bail.  I don't know why he wasn't released on his own recognizance because I don't know him or the story.  He didn't get convicted of a crime though.  This didn't stop the pushers at the gun show from smashing fear down every person who walked by's throat about how if they defend themselves outside the home they will surely go to prison.  Even now the cool aid is strong.  I see it all the time when something about omnibus is mentioned some one comes out of the wood work and says yea but what about SYG.  It is like the house talking about abortion and someone constantly screams GMO's are evil.  In this instance yes they are both gun related but we need to know what things should be lumped together in a passable palatable interface and what things will instantly kill all conversation.

I am tired of IGO.  At the next gun show local here I want to get a table right next to IGO where I talk about the evils of IGO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol, so pathetic.   They will never pass even a single piece of legislation on their own.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
the real irony?  the NIAA bill honors veterans and anyone labeled PTSD so they have a pathway back from the removal of their rights.  that's the core of the bill.  why in the hell they'd rail against it you ask?  that's their mode - OPPOSE ANYTHING NOT THEIR AGENDA...  that's how they raise funds.

also, it should be noted the NIAA bill was passed UNANIMOUSLY in both house and senate...
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
As someone who recently moved back to Iowa, I wish IFC had better visibility.  I got most of my Iowa-related firearms legislation information from IGO because that's who I saw yelling on Facebook.  Having checked out the Hometown forum, I have a better understanding of the situation and more or less ignore IGO now and look to IFC to stay informed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
THT, here is your mission.  Go to IGO's Facebook page on your PC: https://www.facebook.com/likeiowagunowners/likes

Off to the right you will see "So and so and so and so like this"

Contact those people, and ask them if they know the truth about IGO.  Don't berate them, start gentle and then lay on the facts.

This can spread like a virus...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
THT, here is your mission.  Go to IGO's Facebook page on your PC: https://www.facebook.com/likeiowagunowners/likes

Off to the right you will see "So and so and so and so like this"

Contact those people, and ask them if they know the truth about IGO.  Don't berate them, start gentle and then lay on the facts.

This can spread like a virus...
View Quote

Not a single person on my FB friends list likes IGO.  I apparently keep good company.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Fad
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top