Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 11:57:37 AM EDT
I recently moved and am in the process of updating my addresses. I changed my nailin address with the DOT, but still have old DL (according to ia law, this is the minimum required). Do I need to update my carry permit or notify them of the change at all?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically no. However it could cause an issue when purchasing with some dealers. Since you didn't change your drivers license either they will at least match. The problem will may arise when putting down your address on the 4473. Which address do you intend to use? Your old or current? If old then you are technically not using the correct info on a Federal form, If new then neither your drivers license or your permit will match the address. It will literally depend on the dealer. Bit of a catch-22 isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Going through the same thing and decided to go ahead and have my license changed (New home owner, matter of principal) but now I'm not sure that was the best move.... Ugh.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never had any issues with. Had mismatched DL and permit with several dealers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't have to. I just tell the FFL that my current address is on my DL.

I contacted the issuing county sheriff and was told that I didn't need to update it with them either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've moved twice since getting my permit. Hasn't been an issue yet, and I've had 4 447's filled out with 3 different dealers. CCA, Get Some Guns, and another Iowa gunstore that had a table set up at a gunshow.

My first move was to Adel, and sheriff's office was walking distance. Went in one day to  update the address, and the lady told me I didn't need to. I was clear that I was going to need a current address for firearms transfers, and she told me as long as my DL had correct address, I was fine.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Technically no. However it could cause an issue when purchasing with some dealers. Since you didn't change your drivers license either they will at least match. The problem will may arise when putting down your address on the 4473. Which address do you intend to use? Your old or current? If old then you are technically not using the correct info on a Federal form, If new then neither your drivers license or your permit will match the address. It will literally depend on the dealer. Bit of a catch-22 isn't it?
View Quote

That has been my problem. It's saved me from buying a few guns lately. Polk County Sheriff told that the permit address does not matter as long as it's valid and you're within the same county. If I wanted my new address on the card I'd have to apply for another permit. I left my old address on my license and it matches my permit but it's not my "current" address.

I guess I have enough guns for now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That has been my problem. It's saved me from buying a few guns lately. Polk County Sheriff told that the permit address does not matter as long as it's valid and you're within the same county. If I wanted my new address on the card I'd have to apply for another permit. I left my old address on my license and it matches my permit but it's not my "current" address.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could be wrong but I don't think he is right about "within the same county". The permit is valid statewide and its issuance is a matter of county of residency at time of issue not its validity.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I could be wrong but I don't think he is right about "within the same county". The permit is valid statewide and its issuance is a matter of county of residency at time of issue not its validity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you move to a different county you'd be fine with your original permit?

This seems like a weird gray area in the law with permits and addresses, ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers type thing.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dallas County sheriff told me I'd be fine with my Polk County issued permit as long as my DL had my correct Dallas County address. I was in to update it so I could pick up a lower at CCA, I'm sure Michael can chime in that the transfer went off without a hitch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dallas County sheriff told me I'd be fine with my Polk County issued permit as long as my DL had my correct Dallas County address. I was in to update it so I could pick up a lower at CCA, I'm sure Michael can chime in that the transfer went off without a hitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, maybe I misunderstood the person that I spoke to then. I know it's still valid and I'm still in Polk so I'm not going to sweat it for now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
When you move:

If you possess an IA driver license or ID card you must notify the DOT of the change in address within 30 days.  You can do this via mail, online, or in person.  You will only get a new license card bearing the new address if you make the notification in person.

If you have vehicles registered in the state of IA you must notify the county treasurer of your new (if different) county of residence within 10 days.

Form 4473 requires that the address written by the purchaser must match the gov-issued photo ID provided at the time of sale.  If the addresses do not match then another gov-issued document bearing the correct address must be provided as a supplement.

Best practices for those of us who buy firearms frequently is to keep our ID up to date obviously, it just avoids the issues.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never had any issues with. Had mismatched DL and permit with several dealers.
View Quote

My flipping zipcode was changed by the post office and that not matching was enough for me to be declined by the counter worker. Had to go get a new dl early just because a last digit on my zipcode changed 1 number lower
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top