Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/21/2014 5:29:16 PM EDT
I moved recently, and went into the Sheriff's to update the address on my carry permit. The lady informed me that I did not need to update it, as it was good until expiration, regardless of address listed.

I know that the address on my license has to be correct when filling out the 4473 for a firearms transfer, I assumed my carry permit had to have current address also. Any one know if I do need to update it before I buy any more guns?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't updated mine and just bought a CMMG AR a few weeks ago, FFL didn't bat an eye
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good. I've got a lower I need to pick up, so wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any hassle when I get it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You're good.  Same with permits to acquire.  Kinid of odd, but not complaining.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I checked with my county sheriff and you do not need to get a new permit with an address change.  I did because it allowed me to get a hard card instead of the paper, so it was worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had training schools require a ID and permit with matching addresses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

On the plus side, if I do need to update it for something like that, Dallas County Sheriff's department is maybe a mile from my house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I am curious why a school would require a permit?  Did they give any justification?

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My experience with some FFL dealers has been that if the address on 4473 does not match the permit, you must provide another 'proof of residence' issued by a government entity that shows the address you list on the 4473, something like a Drivers License or Vehicle Registration. Sportsmen's in Ankeny is one place that I ran into this issue. My DL was not updated to the new address and I listed the new address on the 4473. Obviously the permit also had the old address, walked away empty handed that evening.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
IIRC correctly the Iowa DOT says you only have 30-45 days to update your DL to a new address. It was a lousy rule change a few years ago...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am curious why a school would require a permit?  Did they give any justification?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's used as a way to vet people before training.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I had problems with Scheels in Mankato MN while buying a gun after moving. I was told I didn't need to get a new license when I moved since it was due for renewal at the end of the year and when I went to buy a gun they wouldn't sell it to me because I wrote my new address on the 4473 and still had the old one on my DL.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top