Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2013 11:02:41 AM EDT
I interviewed for a position in Denison yesterday.  I'm doing research in case an offer is made.  If I accept, it will require a relocation from Indiana.  I would be moving wife and kid, dogs, and horses.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
STAY FAR AWAY !!! I was raised in Carroll , it is a extremely dirty town. Packing plant town. It stinks its dirty on the plus side you could bring all your livestock and fit right in. The Hispanic population loves to buy and eat goats and chickens personally if you do relocate there I would look at a tiny town like Arcadia ,schleswig,Dow city, Dunlop or surrounding areas. I did some work in Dunlop a while ago it was a very nice town.

On a side note if you do decide to make the move to there let me know, I can be a extra set of hands moving stuff/unloading the truck.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

STAY FAR AWAY !!! I was raised in Carroll , it is a extremely dirty town. Packing plant town. It stinks its dirty on the plus side you could bring all your livestock and fit right in. The Hispanic population loves to buy and eat goats and chickens personally if you do relocate there I would look at a tiny town like Arcadia ,schleswig,Dow city, Dunlop or surrounding areas. I did some work in Dunlop a while ago it was a very nice town.

On a side note if you do decide to make the move to there let me know, I can be a extra set of hands moving stuff/unloading the truck.

View Quote
Thanks.  I'd spend a week out there checking out the area before I made a decision.  If it worked out, I'd probably rent a place and look for property before the rest of the family moved.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Brush up on Spanish. and don't expect the other driver that smokes your ride to have any insurance.
Oh,and it smells like hell too.......
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent a day there staking a fancy new development going in. The lots are already sold to a lot of the hospital staff I think. It has some duplexes though as well.

On the way out of town I saw a tanker truck full of hog blood.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard that not the whole city is full of Mexicans and the school is pretty good.  Any truth to this?  I wouldn't take up permanent residence in the city anyway.  I need room for toys and guns.  I would like to keep the commute to 30 min or less.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Hum, well your the minority if you are a White/Caucasian in that town. I really recommend someplace like Arcadia, plus they have a little gun shop in the tiny town. its one thing to have a job in Denison but I would never live in the town. Otherwise I loved growing up in carroll/breda/templeton area lots of small towns lots of farmland If I could get the girlfriend down for moving back from Des Moines, and I could get a job and make a decent living I would move back in a second. And I do not know about school system, I do know for small towns Ar-We-Va is ok they bus kids to carroll for some classes. Westside was OK, I was seeing a girl off and on from westside its nothing fancy but much better than Denison.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
STAY AWAY FROM DENISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It smells from the packing plants, Spanish is the first language, The town is generally run down and is dingy. Really nothing there for shopping or entertainment. The local hospital is famous for removing gall bladders (i.e. un-necessary  surgeries) The school is a place where I would not want to send my kinds, gangs and bi-lingual. Carrol would be the town I would live in and commute to Denison (35 minute drive)

If you have a family, the Denison area is not the place to raise them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
See a common theme here.....?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See a common theme here.....?

View Quote
Yes.  Easy enough, don't live there, but there's plenty of nice small communities within commuting distance.  Closer to Sioux Falls or council bluffs would make the drive shorter for when we want to go shopping or whatever.  No NFA items though.  I've been wanting a can for the 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I lived in Denison as a young kid, Dow City for a year and then moved to the middle of Iowa (flatlands) about 20 years ago.  My grandmother still owns a house and a lot of land in Arion (10ish miles from Denison).  I visit from time to time and still think it's a beautiful area because the hills, but I also know the town has a bad reputation.  Like everyone else says, try and find a place in a nearby small community, though instead of of Arcadia Carroll area I'd go west into the Charter Oak, Dunlap area.  Getting into the Loess Hills is beautiful country and I don't think you'd regret it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Council Bluffs is just the bigger version of Denison. Grew up in Vail,  I lived and worked in Denison for a few years before moving to central Iowa and I swear I will never go back. Charter Oak is a nice small town, Mapleton, Schleswig are good towns also. Carrol is a very good town, close enough to Ames and Des Moines to where a drive isn't unpleasant.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't live in Denison. Work there but don't live there.

There are a lot of smaller towns with great schools and rent/purchase a house is cheap. Well cheaper than in the big cities any way.

I know a few who live here in Manning and drive daily to work in Denison.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input guys.  Still waiting on the phone call to see if they are going to make an offer.  Is there any public land to hunt around there?  Moving away means no family farm to hunt anymore.  How about places to ride horses?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Like others have said there are lots of small towns within a 30min drive that would fit your bill.  There is a lot of public ground around Pisgah.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Home town of Donna Reed.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top