Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 11/1/2012 11:05:48 AM EDT
Paul Howe (of Black Hawk Down fame) owns and operates Combat Shooting and Tactics in Nacogdoches, TX.  He has published a set of standards for handguns that must be met in order to successfully pass his instructor-level courses.  After receiving permission from Romp to hijack his DOTM series, I am presenting them to the IAHTF for the month of November.  These standards are readily available on the CSAT website.

All shots are from 7 yards except for the final segment, which is fired from 25 yards.  Traditionally the standards are shot on a IPSC target with the A-zone portion extending up to connect with the head box.  Any hits on target which land outside of the center box are considered misses, even headshots (unless the segment specifically calls for a headshot).  CSAT requires an 80%  (8 out of 10) score to pass; runs are not cumulative, meaning that a shooter cannot "make up" a particular segment to receive a passing grade.  You will need 25 rounds and two targets.  I have found these to be quite challenging.

CSAT Standards

1. From high ready: 1 shot at 1 target (par time: 1 sec).

2. From the holster: 1 shot at 1 target (par time: 1.7 sec).

3. From high ready: 2 shots at 1 target (par time: 1.5 sec).

4. From high ready: 5 shots to the body and 1 to the head at 1 target (par time: 3 sec).

5. From high ready: 4 shots, 2 on each target (par time: 3 sec).  Note: Howe requires that the finger be out of the trigger guard while sweeping from target #1 to target #2.

6. From high ready: 4 shots, 2 strong hand only and 2 support hand only (par time: 5 sec).

7. From high ready with an empty chamber: Press out, dry fire, perform a malfunction drill, and fire 1 shot (par time: 3 sec).

8. From high ready: 2 shots, perform a speed reload, and fire two shots (par time: 5 sec).

9. Holster pistol, load carbine with 1 round.  From low ready: Fire one round from the rifle, attempt to fire second round, transition to pistol and fire one shot (par time: 3.25 sec).

10. Move to 25 yards.  From the holster: draw, kneel, and fire one shot (par time: 3.25 sec).

Post your times and number of misses.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a more clear description that tells you which weapon for each drill?

Obviously the ones from the holster are pistol, but...
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I only put up the handgun standards.  I have edited the original post.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work Lane, I shot this drill  at the FBI Instructor School.......liked it so much I  kept the target (tke target was designed by Howe).  And believe me that 25 yard drill  the time runs out quicker than you think.

R
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I attended Howe's Pistol Instructor Course a few weeks ago.  My run went as follows:

1 shot: .88 seconds, clean.
1 shot from the holster: 1.35 seconds, clean.
2 shots: 1.19 seconds, clean.
5 body/1 head: 2.56 seconds, clean.
4 shots on 2 targets: 2.16 seconds, clean.
2 shots strong hand, 2 shots weak hand: 4.46 seconds, 1 miss on the weak hand.
Malfunction drill, 1 shot: 2.19 seconds, clean.
2 shots, reload, 2 shots: 3.89 seconds, clean.
1 round with rifle, transition to pistol, 1 shot: 2.76, clean.
25 yards, draw, kneel, fire 1 round: 2.24, miss.

Score: 8/10 - passed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Fyi lane is legit with a pistol way to go lane!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds fun.  Gonna have to try this next time I shoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I missed the 25 yard portion of the drill as well.  Good run......and I agree Lane is very good with a pistol.

R
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I just tried to take the shot too quickly.  I had plenty of time to make a better shot.  My 25-yard shooting needs a lot of improvement.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#9]
We tried this a couple weeks ago in the rain and cold....... Did not turn out very good. I'm gonna give it another shot over this coming weekend. Thanks for posting this up Lane, Great drill!

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top