Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2012 4:36:56 PM EDT
I know the guys and gals here on the IHTF are a hearty competitive bunch and the TRICON Modified Navy Qualification thread got me to thinking.......why not a shooting drill per month.

Here is the deal.  

We are already discussing the Modified Navy Qualification so why not call that the Course for September.

Post your times/scores/ and video if you want.

R
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What distance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5epCk5KRY

Shot versus an 8" target such as TRICON's excellent TCT-005, the drill is made up of 3 rifle magazines of 5 rounds. On the tone the shooter fires 5 rounds standing, reloads, fires 5 rounds kneeling, reloads and fires 5 rounds prone to end the exercise. Par time is 25 seconds, each miss is worth 5 points, 2 points per second over part and -1 point per second under par. Qualifying is anything better than a 40 on the drill. Enjoy and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
disregard
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
50 yards using a F.B.I. Q target   -10 for a score  Yes Romp  this is verified by a fellow instructor .

Nissen

Holy shit!  7.5 secs clean including 2 reloads and 2 position changes!  I don't think that will ever get beat.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Holy shit!  7.5 secs clean including 2 reloads and 2 position changes!  I don't think that will ever get beat.

Make it 7.5 MINUTES with 2 (re)loads and 2 position changes and it sounds pretty standard for me.
When you get old, you'll know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
50 yards using a F.B.I. Q target   -10 for a score  Yes Romp  this is verified by a fellow instructor .

Nissen

Wait, what?  Wouldn't the -10 mean the shooter finished 10 seconds under par (no misses), equaling 15 seconds?  Even accounting for .2 splits between shots, a 7.5 second run doesn't seem possible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
disregard.  Someone that knows their info explained it different.  Sorry for the bullshit  

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know the guys and gals here on the IHTF are a hearty competitive bunch and the TRICON Modified Navy Qualification thread got me to thinking.......why not a shooting drill per month.

Here is the deal.  

We are already discussing the Modified Navy Qualification so why not call that the Course for September.

R

I like this idea.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nissen

Wait, what?  Wouldn't the -10 mean the shooter finished 10 seconds under par (no misses), equaling 15 seconds?  Even accounting for .2 splits between shots, a 7.5 second run doesn't seem possible.

Hey Lane
After our phone call I found clarification on scoring in the comments for the Tricon youtube video.  You were right.  If you shoot a clean 15 sec run, your score would be a -10.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I definitely like that idea. It's more than just jibber jabber, it's something to do!

I just don't have a shot timer!
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I definitely like that idea. It's more than just jibber jabber, it's something to do!

Most smart phones andriod/iphone/etc have a shot timer application you can get free or for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I am convinced that a shot timer is one of the most effective training tools you can possibly own.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am convinced that a shot timer is one of the most effective training tools you can possibly own.

+1

Even if you are at a range with other shooting you can at least shoot with a Par timer settings to push yourself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

daily gospel by lane
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Well.....anyone ran this yet?  Outcome?  Time?  Video?

R
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most smart phones andriod/iphone/etc have a shot timer application you can get free or for a few bucks.

Thought about that too...I've still got a "dumb phone".

Maybe I'll try convincing the  Ministry of Romance and finance that I need to get one!
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally broke down and ordered a shot timer.  Pocket Pro (not the II, so the original I guess.)

Why in this age of technology is there not a shot timer that doesn't suck?  Reading reviews on shot timers was like reading reviews about poison.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well.....anyone ran this yet?  Outcome?  Time?  Video?

R

I'll bite.  I got to run through it once tonight.  15 hits in 31 seconds=12 points if I understand the scoring correctly.  The damn mag changes kicked my ass.  Hopefully if work is slow tomorrow I can run through it a couple more times (and hopefully improve).

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright, I figured I would give this a try. It was a humbling, but fun experience. Next outing will be better!

My third run was the best of the bad...

13 Hits out of 15 shots fired, so 2 misses times 5 equals 10 points.

5 seconds over 25, so 5 times 2 equals 10 points.

For a grand total of... 20 points.

According to the Tricon Modified Navy Qualification my score of 20 points puts me at Sharpshooter...

I look forward to next months challange! (and improving my score on this one...)
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Ill go and run this on sunday and see how I do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my shot timer in the mail today, I'll probably have to give this a shot this weekend.  As good of an excuse as any to try this out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Ran it again last night and got a 5 each time.  24.xx times (24.99 the first time) with one shot out each time.  Strangely enough the misses were within an inch of each other at the 9 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Best (my last one) was 26.68 clean.  I guess that's a 4.  Disappointed that I couldn't go negative.

Worst (first one) was 35.35 with 3 misses (!)  That's a 35, still a qualifying score according to the rules but damn, I thought it was horrible. I bobbled both my mag changes pretty bad on the first one.

I think I have a video of the clean run, will post later.

Do I get a handicap for using an AR pistol?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVoxZqumAo0

This was a lot of fun.  Haven't shot against the clock in a while.

I only had two clean runs out of 7, on the other five I dropped 1-3 shots.  I try to shoot that way though (pushing myself until I miss) so I'm not mad about misses.  Although, the scoring for this drill makes misses REALLY hurt.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
R

No, and you can't make me.

Holy shit!
Shooting is a perishable skill and mine has evidently perished and is dead and buried.
Being unemployed I haven't been able to afford to do much shooting in the last year and it shows.
Went out and shot this 4 times today and two of them were BAD.
I didn't even bother scoring the other two because they were worse.
I only have the carry handle for sights and I tell ya, I gotta get me one of them new fangled red dot thingees and see if'n that helps.

Suggestion for the October Shooting Drill of the Month... Modified Navy Qual with Irons only.
Then in November, pump 12 gauges with slugs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I briefly considered running this with the irons on my dissipator (rifle length FSB on 16" barrel) but my AR pistol is my favorite gun right now.

Would be interesting to see what difference there is.  I was always hell on the 50 meter targets with my issue M16A2, but we didn't shoot standing.  Just kneeling and prone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm gonna throw out there the idea that any of the "Shooting Drill of the Month"s people run they do it with whatever they want for sights but also do it with irons.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Agreed.  I will try and get someone to help me film and put it up........not being the most computer savy guy on the IHTF that I am.

R
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I hear there's an Mennonite that might be handy with the video cameras.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hear there's an Mennonite that might be handy with the video cameras.

Handy might be a little generous... but video camera is accurate.

the gears are a little rusty, but they still turn.

Romper just needs to answer my phone calls or maybe I haven't called him yet... either way we are trying to get something set up
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Call you sometime Tuesday bro.  Sorry, been kinda running around a lot lately.

R
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Call you sometime Tuesday bro.  Sorry, been kinda running around a lot lately.

R

Standing by
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Ran this a few times today.  Scored a 2,1,0, -1.5.  Here's the -1.5.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Like a boss.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I was must thinking about this today and trying to record myself at the range tomorrow since I have the day off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/csHwWJW0mto

Man, you gots a sexy assed hair-do.
Fuck yeah.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I finally ran it. Video taped it for the first time with folks lookin at me funny. Out of the 6 times running it I think my best was just over 5 due to misses.

Lesson learned is I'm more stable standing that kneeling. I hard a hard time telling myself to sit on my foot and get stable.
I also learned I got to loose weight. Seeing video of myself made that very clear. I'll post of my best run clip when I get to a computer.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I finally ran it. Video taped it for the first time with folks lookin at me funny. Out of the 6 times running it I think my best was just over 5 due to misses.

Lesson learned is I'm more stable standing that kneeling. I hard a hard time telling myself to sit on my foot and get stable.
I also learned I got to loose weight. Seeing video of myself made that very clear. I'll post of my best run clip when I get to a computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUKXwWjNtFs

Good work out of you for posting up.  Mag changes looked good
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good work out of you for posting up.  Mag changes looked good

Thanks. I'm going to have to run this more often and focus on those positions. Especially kneeling.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Looked good.
There for a second when you went to kneeling I thought you were just opening up and lettin' her rip.
Then realized that someone else was shooting.
Thought you was a cheating.
My bad; turns out you're still a good enough dude.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice work Michael, looked pretty smooth to me.....now to just get around to calling a Crandel and getting it on tape.

R
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah.

Haters gonna hate
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thanks. I'm going to have to run this more often and focus on those positions. Especially kneeling.

You know that dropping into a propper kneeling, with support may be slowing you down a bit.  If you try and shoot from kneeling just like standing it will shave some time off.

R
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice work Michael, looked pretty smooth to me.....now to just get around to calling a Crandel and getting it on tape.

R

You know I have a video camera right?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

R

You know I have a video camera right?

According to your roommate that thing is primarily used in the bedroom, and nobody other than you wants to use that

If anyone wants to find any of Ricks other "Movies" turn off your safe search and look up "Pretty Boy Ricky goes to San Fran"...It's not for the faint of heart tho

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shooting this made me think a bit about the kneeling, which I don't practice at all.  Doing Army quals, I would sit on my ass and put both elbows on my legs.  Of course, you have time to get in position in the Army qual, and changing position is part of this drill which makes it interesting.  I settled on doing the "I'm so dynamic" kneeling position just because it was faster to get into, and I could shoot at the same pace as when I was standing.

I also stopped leaning into the rifle so much, when I was naturally balanced I was making better hits.  If this was shot at 25 yd instead, I'd probably do the "I'm so dynamic" lean.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah.

Haters gonna hate

No hate; just looking forward to when you young pukes get old and see what we geezers are going through.
Of course, we'll be even older then and you'll still be younger punks.
Fuck.
Now I'm depressed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah.

Haters gonna hate

No hate; just looking forward to when you young pukes get old and see what we geezers are going through.
Fuck.
Now I'm depressed.

Haha I just thought you had xray vision and could see through my hat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting this made me think a bit about the kneeling, which I don't practice at all.  Doing Army quals, I would sit on my ass and put both elbows on my legs.  Of course, you have time to get in position in the Army qual, and changing position is part of this drill which makes it interesting.  I settled on doing the "I'm so dynamic" kneeling position just because it was faster to get into, and I could shoot at the same pace as when I was standing.

I also stopped leaning into the rifle so much, when I was naturally balanced I was making better hits.  If this was shot at 25 yd instead, I'd probably do the "I'm so dynamic" lean.

It sure is nice to have an expert here to critique everyones weapon selection and shooting techniques.  Congrats on making the ignore list.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah.

Haters gonna hate

Fuck.
Now I'm depressed.

Haha I just thought you had xray vision and could see through my hat.

I can see through more than that, Tiny.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top