Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:22:15 PM EDT
Off to my usual web searching and I was wondering...

Can an officer who is not in the act of detaining you (you can be detained and not cuffed) be charged with trespassing if they refuse a verbal request to leave private property? If so, who do you call to enforce it? Sheriff? DPS?

Just curious.

Err. Found my own answer on someones legal paper on the subject. It appears it very difficult as various justifications can justify being on the property as a justified search. i.e. In the course of detaining someone, requirement to investigate, inspect property believed to be stolen, to speak with occupants, etc...

Curiosity taken care of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
As for "who to call" for a higher power when someone is corrupt:
Police ––> Sheriff ––> State Patrol ––> US Marshall
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, just out of curiosity....what gives?  Is something going on or having problems with someone?

R
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok, just out of curiosity....what gives?  Is something going on or having problems with someone?

R

If he EVER invites you over to his house Romper, you just turn and run

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought my spidey senses were tingling.......

R
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I honestly was having a random brain fart and I can't leave a question unanswered. I can't even recall what even made me think about it. All is well in my household.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting? I never did find a solid answer on this part.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting? I never did find a solid answer on this part.

That's because it is FUBAR

There is no hierarchy...
US Marshals are not an enforcement agency (read FBI) and even if they were there is no federal code for trespassing (unless you live on federal private property
A deputy isn't going to force a PD officer to leave somewhere
And the average Trooper doesn't know the code for trespassing AND, is required to assist other agencies per IA code...

Sooo...
?
Get a good civil rights lawyer??
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

R

I'm glad you asked.  I can't for the life of me figure out where some of these questions come from.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
R

If he EVER invites you over to his house Romper, you just turn and run
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/its_a_trap.jpg?w=720

It's a trap.

Youtube link maker doesn't work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

R

I'm glad you asked.  I can't for the life of me figure out where some of these questions come from.

Why is it odd for someone to wonder these things? It's not like I have a chain of posts asking questions about how to get rid of cops.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

R

Why is it odd for someone to wonder these things? It's not like I have a chain of posts asking questions about how to get rid of cops.

You're free to wonder whatever you want to.  Like Romper, I'm just curious what causes a person to initiate such questions.  I spent over half my life in LE and some of the questions that get asked just baffle me as to what they are based on.  Stay thirsty my friend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
That's fair and I appreciate the work you have done.

I honestly think a lot of the questions come from the fact very few people know the law. When you have a forum that has contributors who are or were LE people see it as an open opportunity to ask questions we wouldn't otherwise know where to go to get the answers.

Here's another one. Do you get this kind of thing often?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's fair and I appreciate the work you have done.

I honestly think a lot of the questions come from the fact very few people know the law. When you have a forum that has contributors who are or were LE people see it as an open opportunity to ask questions we wouldn't otherwise know where to go to get the answers.

Here's another one. Do you get this kind of thing often?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqymcJRSbxI

I drive drunk people around all the time (I work for the bus service in ames) and that stuff happens ALL OF THE TIME.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I am glad all is well brother.  The question just kind of struck my funny.  

Bottom line on levels of authority is that if you have a problem with an individual officer then you contact their supervisor.  If that isn't sufficient then go higher....if still not happy then make the decision if you need to seek legal advice or assistance.  As far as other agencies investigating each other.....not going to happen unless federal (see FBI) or appointed in some other way because of what the problem is.

On a side note, I am coming up on my first 20 years on the job.....and can definitely see where Dave is coming from.  We are both proud members of this and other forums, we have done or jobs and come here to talk guns with like minded individuals.  I have no problem answering questions and I am sure some of our brothers and sisters who do the same job and are on here as well will agree.  Sometimes the problem is that we notice a fair amount of anti cop stuff on the forums we otherwise enjoy, and it tends to get our gander up a bit.

On drunks.....have delt with them in the past, my curent assignment is not patrol so not so much unless in very large groups.  Other things on the job....well, lets just say that sometimes you can not be paid enough to carry some of the memories that you have to.

R
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

R

You're free to wonder whatever you want to.  Like Romper, I'm just curious what causes a person to initiate such questions.  I spent over half my life in LE and some of the questions that get asked just baffle me as to what they are based on.  Stay thirsty my friend.

"Someone" once said;...  "Think for yourself, question authority..."

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am glad all is well brother.  The question just kind of struck my funny.  

Bottom line on levels of authority is that if you have a problem with an individual officer then you contact their supervisor.  If that isn't sufficient then go higher....if still not happy then make the decision if you need to seek legal advice or assistance.  As far as other agencies investigating each other.....not going to happen unless federal (see FBI) or appointed in some other way because of what the problem is.

On a side note, I am coming up on my first 20 years on the job.....and can definitely see where Dave is coming from.  We are both proud members of this and other forums, we have done or jobs and come here to talk guns with like minded individuals.  I have no problem answering questions and I am sure some of our brothers and sisters who do the same job and are on here as well will agree.  Sometimes the problem is that we notice a fair amount of anti cop stuff on the forums we otherwise enjoy, and it tends to get our gander up a bit.

On drunks.....have delt with them in the past, my curent assignment is not patrol so not so much unless in very large groups.  Other things on the job....well, lets just say that sometimes you can not be paid enough to carry some of the memories that you have to.

R

Thank you for your service. It's much appreciated.

I haven't had the personal drive to get my cardio where it needs to be do reserves but respect those to do the job.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top