Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2011 11:56:01 AM EDT
Remington 872 with a side saddle mounted.

Can a shotgun, unloaded and without any rounds in it's magazine, but with 5 rounds in the side saddle and in a case, be transported legally?

I would like to have a shotgun in a case but with 5 rounds in the side saddle for easy accessibility. I'm fuzzy if this would be considered transporting with a loaded magazine or not.

Come on you know it alls, give me an answer.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you may.  The magazine is the tube on a pump shotgun.  The Sidesaddle is just storage that happens to be attached to the receiver.  

How 'bout you get your permit to carry and not have to worry about whether it's properly loaded or not?  
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes you may.  The magazine is the tube on a pump shotgun.  The Sidesaddle is just storage that happens to be attached to the receiver.  

How 'bout you get your permit to carry and not have to worry about whether it's properly loaded or not?  

+1

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Beat me to it
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to it

Possibly <21?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this in regard to hunting?

The DNR folks have their own playbook you may need to research. I have no idea what their answer to your question would be.

When I had my carry permit renewed, about ten minutes of gabbing involved the legality of carrying a loaded shotgun on an ATV. LEO stops you, it's legal. DNR stops you, not legal. The discussion involved driving on county roads.

Is the ammo in the case considered "isolated from the firearm"?
Don't know.

Firearm transportation laws and DNR hunting regulations are not the same thing.

Without a carry permit, I thought firarms and ammunition had to be in seperate areas of a vehicle, such as one in the passenger compartment and the other in the trunk. "Not easily accessible".

Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this in regard to hunting?

The DNR folks have their own playbook you may need to research. I have no idea what their answer to your question would be.

When I had my carry permit renewed, about ten minutes of gabbing involved the legality of carrying a loaded shotgun on an ATV. LEO stops you, it's legal. DNR stops you, not legal. The discussion involved driving on county roads.

Is the ammo in the case considered "isolated from the firearm"?
Don't know.

Firearm transportation laws and DNR hunting regulations are not the same thing.

Without a carry permit, I thought firarms and ammunition had to be in seperate areas of a vehicle, such as one in the passenger compartment and the other in the trunk. "Not easily accessible".

Am I mistaken?

Yes, you are mistaken.  There is no mention of proximity of ammo and firearms mentioned in the Code of Iowa aside from the definition of being loaded.  As long as the attached magazine and barrel(s) are unloaded it is considered unloaded.  Now you still must have the weapon cased as well if you don't have a permit.

Probably the reason you had issues with DNR is that you can't have a loaded weapon on an ATV even with a permit (see memo below).  It's a ridiculous law that needs to be addressed in a coming session.  And no, the DNR doesn't have their own playbook.  It's called the Code of Iowa and the Iowa Administrative Code––the same one that all officers enforce.  If the DNR is stepping outside of these bounds, then it needs to be addressed to knock the crap off.

And just for reference for all here: DNR's memo in reference to Iowa permits to carry.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top