Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 4:09:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
First time I have  seen a sheriff say the sign is your warning and you are immediately charged with trespassing.

LE please chime in. I know you are out there :)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Makes me cringe when looking at a move from a completely free state...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
he's full of shit.  period.  signs like that DO NOT carry the weight of law.  the sign IS NOT your warning.  this guy needs to read the law he swore to uphold and start applying it.  i'd also encourage someone to make a run for sheriff.  if this fellow really believes the spew that just ran out of his mouth what else is he fucking up on a grand scale?

wow...  

this is troubling.  i don't want the LE in this state to look poor and give the citizens the appearance of being average or less.  but all these interviews with the media put their opinion and sentiment out there for life.  they can't take it back.  if i were that guy i'd be ashamed of myself.  besides, when he says crazy ass shit as the chief law enforcement officer in his jurisdiction he makes everyone in the county and by extension the state look like a doofus...

i realize all jobs have the occasional goon, but if i were a person of clout within LE i would avoid opportunities to say dumb stuff and prove myself foolish to only criteria i swore to uphold, the constitution of the us and iowa...  

good Lord...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
“People who do have [the permits] are getting holsters for their legs, so you wouldn’t know if they have [the guns] or not,”

WTH???
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
“People who do have [the permits] are getting holsters for their legs, so you wouldn’t know if they have [the guns] or not,”

WTH???

I swear they pick the dumbest person to interview on purpose.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
he's full of shit.  period.  signs like that DO NOT carry the weight of law.  the sign IS NOT your warning.  this guy needs to read the law he swore to uphold and start applying it.  i'd also encourage someone to make a run for sheriff.  if this fellow really believes the spew that just ran out of his mouth what else is he fucking up on a grand scale?

wow...  

this is troubling.  i don't want the LE in this state to look poor and give the citizens the appearance of being average or less.  but all these interviews with the media put their opinion and sentiment out there for life.  they can't take it back.  if i were that guy i'd be ashamed of myself.  besides, when he says crazy ass shit as the chief law enforcement officer in his jurisdiction he makes everyone in the county and by extension the state look like a doofus...

i realize all jobs have the occasional goon, but if i were a person of clout within LE i would avoid opportunities to say dumb stuff and prove myself foolish to only criteria i swore to uphold, the constitution of the us and iowa...  

good Lord...

Is this something that I should call him out on, so that he knows the laws he is swearing to uphold? I have personally talked to this guy and he was 100% against this new law. His exact words to me were "I don't think anyone except my officers should be carrying guns in my county. If I had it my way I wouldn't sign a single permit."
My response to him was that I will be sure that me and as many voters as possible remember that come next election.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#8]
No, they interview 40 people and pick the dumbest one. I was interviewed on ISU campus a few years back and very intelligent conversation with the interviewer for about 3-4 minutes. Then they took a 5 second clip out of context and went on to show a full interview wih the libbiest, most retarded dumb-shit sorority girls they could find.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If we are speaking on the subject of trespassing, a violation of a directive on a sign DOES NOT constitute probable cause for a criminal charge.  That is the stance of several county attorney's offices in the state of Iowa....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow...  

good Lord...

Is this something that I should call him out on, so that he knows the laws he is swearing to uphold? I have personally talked to this guy and he was 100% against this new law. His exact words to me were "I don't think anyone except my officers should be carrying guns in my county. If I had it my way I wouldn't sign a single permit."
My response to him was that I will be sure that me and as many voters as possible remember that come next election.

If you want to I would say yes. As septic said signs carry no force of law. You must be physically be asked to leave by either someone representing the business (not a customer) or if they choose to call LE and have them ask. If you refuse after being asked then you can be charged with trespass. However, if you go outside to your vehicle and disarm then come back in you are good to go unless they refuse service to you after the fact.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you to the last two posters. Thats exactly what I wanted to read. Especially the part about disarming and making the choice to come back in. I stated on the IFC forum that sometimes you gotta swallow pride and do it if it's called for. Example I gave was a retirement facility for elderly parents. If they tell you know I doubt you wouldn't do what was needed to visit family there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#12]
It seems like the law enforcement around here likes to just make up some of the laws as they go. This isn't the first time they have been wrong in the past.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
i have a long driveway.  should i have a pile of cardboard and a dozen markers i could waste the better part of a day making my own little stop signs every few yards down my drive that say "stop" on them...  however, just because i drive the length of my driveway without stopping doesn't make me quilty of 34 failure to stop violations does it?  nor is there going to be a deputy setting around to actually write the citation.

this guy must have been sick the day they taught law and ILEA...  wow....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i have a long driveway.  should i have a pile of cardboard and a dozen markers i could waste the better part of a day making my own little stop signs every few yards down my drive that say "stop" on them...  however, just because i drive the length of my driveway without stopping doesn't make me quilty of 34 failure to stop violations does it?  nor is there going to be a deputy setting around to actually write the citation.

Well that's a little different because LEOs can't write tickets for stop sign violations on private property....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It seems like the law enforcement around here likes to just make up some of the laws as they go. This isn't the first time they have been wrong in the past.

Please do not mistake administration for the working guys and gals on the street......some of us are quite pro carry, and thankfully not all of the admin types are anti either.
As far as being wrong.....have been before and I am sure I will be again, but just like everyone else.....not many are perfect.....but we all try.

R
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a guy the other day on a speed stop with a permit to carry.  We talked guns for about 20 minutes and he was appreciative although he still got a ticket.  The position of administration does not necessarily support the position of the working classes.  I personally do not have any problem with those that posses a valid weapons permit.  My concern is with those that do not have a permit and carry for illicit reasons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a guy the other day on a speed stop with a permit to carry.  We talked guns for about 20 minutes and he was appreciative although he still got a ticket.  The position of administration does not necessarily support the position of the working classes.  I personally do not have any problem with those that posses a valid weapons permit.  My concern is with those that do not have a permit and carry for illicit reasons.

....and that is exactly as it should be. Thank You very much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

....and that is exactly as it should be. Thank You very much.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please do not mistake administration for the working guys and gals on the street......some of us are quite pro carry, and thankfully not all of the admin types are anti either.
As far as being wrong.....have been before and I am sure I will be again, but just like everyone else.....not many are perfect.....but we all try.

R

I guess I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to any carry issues from the officers. I guess the instance comes to mind where I was stopped for 26 in a 25 and was verbally harassed because I wouldn't consent to a search of my vehicle. I then had to sit there for 45 min. while he threatened me about getting the K-9 unit and multiple other charges. In the end I got let go with a ticket for speeding and about an hour of my time wasted.

I know not all law enforcement is like this but its these experiences that really stick in my mind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's a little different because LEOs can't write tickets for stop sign violations on private property....

prove it.  where in the iowa code is that written?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

that's it...  you're getting a hug the next time we see one another!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

321.228  Provisions refer to highways––exceptions.

The provisions of this chapter relating to the operation of vehicles refer exclusively to the operation of vehicles upon highways except:

1.  Where a different place is specifically referred to in a given section.
2.  The provisions of sections 321.261 to 321.273, and sections 321.277 and 321.280 shall apply upon highways and elsewhere throughout the state.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its buried in the traffic chapter somewhere.  The only three [driving] violations that a peace officer can charge on private property are OWI, reckless driving, and driving while barred.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

321.228  Provisions refer to highways––exceptions.

The provisions of this chapter relating to the operation of vehicles refer exclusively to the operation of vehicles upon highways except:

1.  Where a different place is specifically referred to in a given section.
2.  The provisions of sections 321.261 to 321.273, and sections 321.277 and 321.280 shall apply upon highways and elsewhere throughout the state.

Thanks Dave
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my bad.  i thought you wrote CAN write...  i was typing on a screen the size of my thumb and i missed some of the words.  agreed on all parts.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its buried in the traffic chapter somewhere.  The only three [driving] violations that a peace officer can charge on private property are OWI, reckless driving, and driving while barred.

So if you don't light me up before I get in my drive way and you were in an unmarked car and I just kept on driving down my loooong drive way, no ticket :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget 'no insurance'....

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you don't light me up before I get in my drive way and you were in an unmarked car and I just kept on driving down my loooong drive way, no ticket :)

Because of how my days have been going lately thats the funniest crap I've heard in a while, I giggled a little.  I'll give you a hint though, as long as said violation occurred on public property, the citation can be issued anywhere, including in your living room, up to one year after said violation occurred.  Hell, sometimes I've even had to have the mailman do my dirty work for me and deliver it for me.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:...  Hell, sometimes I've even had to have the mailman do my dirty work for me and deliver it for me.

so.... YOU'RE the guy.  damn you!!!

lol....

no bitching here, i've deserved every ticket i've gotten with only one exception.  lol....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#30]

You guys rock !
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:...  Hell, sometimes I've even had to have the mailman do my dirty work for me and deliver it for me.

lol....

no bitching here, i've deserved every ticket i've gotten with only one exception.  lol....

I promise I am only out for the bad guys.  The last ticket I had to mail was to some guy in Kansas who thought it was a good idea when his trailer broke apart to rent another one and graciously leave his POS trailer on the shoulder  to get hit by someone without ever calling to report it was there or pay a tow to go get it after he abandoned it.

Hey ST, one of these days I need to meet you to shake your hand, I'm a good guy I promise.  I'll give you three guesses as to which agency I work for (not DNR), you should be able to guess by now.  I'm sure you remember when we got into it over manner of conveyance a couple years ago, none was happier than me to see that updated last year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#32]
i know.  i'm joshing you...

you should see if you can make it down here for a shoot or build day.  the place is full of LE and civies alike, so we manage to have a really good time.  in fact, of all the gatherings we've had, i can only think of two dickheads ever...  not a bad average...

i too am looking forward to our initial hand shake.  thanks for doing what you do!

Quoted:
Quoted:

lol....

I promise I am only out for the bad guys.  The last ticket I had to mail was to some guy in Kansas who thought it was a good idea when his trailer broke apart to rent another one and graciously leave his POS trailer on the shoulder  to get hit by someone without ever calling to report it was there or pay a tow to go get it after he abandoned it.

Hey ST, one of these days I need to meet you to shake your hand, I'm a good guy I promise.  I'll give you three guesses as to which agency I work for (not DNR), you should be able to guess by now.  I'm sure you remember when we got into it over manner of conveyance a couple years ago, none was happier than me to see that updated last year.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top