Page Hometown » Iowa
Tacked Ranges (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/31/2002 5:28:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aviator]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice little range outside of Tama. Head West on Highway 30, about two miles out, you will come to the top of a hill with a white fence on the left (South) side. There is a gravel road there, Take a right on the gravel and head north till the road curves. A driveway on the right will have a sign that Says "Ike's Tract". The driveway goes back to a nice little range. Skeet area, 100 and 200 yard shooting. It is un-manned and there is no phone munber.

Please keep it cleaned up!

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
NLSI (Ankeny, IA)

www.nlsi.net
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have all the details, but there are quite a few places in Central IA (Des Moines area). There's the range in Boone (Boone Sportsmen Club) with 25, 50, and 100 yd ranges. There's the Izaak Walton place in Ames, with 25, 50, 100, and 200 yd ranges (nice). Izaak Walton in Elkhart, near Ankeny, with up to 100 yds. The Des Moines Rifle and Pistol club hosts DCM matches (600 yds).

There are IDPA matches in Boone, Ames, and Elkhart as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 9:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-SNIPER-15] [#4]
Bays Branch just south of Yale It's an outdoor rifle pistol shotgun range. Aslo a DNR range just south of Madrid on 415 heading to Polk City but range fees are $6 hr
Link Posted: 2/3/2003 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
i am posting on 2nd hand information here.

members only range in Storm Lake, IOWA. they tell me it has an indoor pistol range and outdoor rifle range. 24 hour access. sounds nice but i havnt acually scoped it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2003 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a range halfway between Des Moines and Indianola called Banner.  It is accessible through the first gravel road north of the north river where it crosses HWY 65/69.  You go east on the gravel road after leaving the HWY, and it is about a mile down the road (go right when the gravel road tees and you are there).

I am not overly impressed with it, as there are a lot of slobs who don't pick up after themselves, but it is a place to shoot both shotgun and rifle.  When I have gone there I try to pick up an extra bag full of shells for the trash, and would appreciate it if anyone using these directions do the same.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
"There is a range halfway between Des Moines and Indianola called Banner."

I always thought that was an abandoned dump...
Just kidding.  Have you had any "bad" expiriences there.  I used to shoot at Badger creek (untill the bastards closed it) and one of the shooters I met out there told me he knew of some guys that had thier guns stolen at gunpoint.  Don't know if it's true, but I've stayed away just the same.  I wouldn't be so worried, but I often shoot alone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 4:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: storr] [#8]
Humboldt Rifle/Pistol Club has a nice 200 yard range for members.  

We usually host two high-power events each year, as well as smallbore silhouette and annual steel challenge handgun shoot.

Also have a nice indoor range where we host small bore rifle and pistol matches.

The Des Moines club maintains a nice 600-yard range at Van Meter, just a few miles West of Des Moines.  They have an active calendar.  Check their site: http://dsm.highpowerlinks.com/

Near Montezuma you will find a 100-yard range maintained by the Powashiek County Sportsman's Assn.  Their web site is: http://www.avalon.net/~srass/powass.htm
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Hawkeye Rifle and Pistol Club
6217 Mitchell St
Sioux City, IA 51111
(712) 252-5165

Located just south of the airport, behind the rental car places.

Member only, 0-50' indoor range, open 24 hrs. Can shoot handguns in handgun calibers and .22 rifle. Been in talks of getting land for a rifle range but they've been talking for years. NRA and CMP affilliated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 9:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadProfessor] [#10]
150 Yard range a few miles outside of Correctionville Iowa.

Continue through town on 31, through the "correction" (its a tight right, and then left turn in the middle of town, its why the town is called Correctionville). Turn a right at the stop sign (you will see a pair of jets to your right). Drive on this road (D22) a few miles, you will see a sign to the range (I think its on a road called Obrian Ave) Continue down this dirt road past the park area, there will be a right turn, and then the range will be on your right. Enjoy!

Let me know if this is a little vauge. There is a rifle range (you have to shoot through tubes, but its ok) 50, 100, 150 yards. There is a seperate Pistol/Shotgun range.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a Range in Cedar Rapids at Isik Walton, and there is another one in Vinton Iowa, as well as Central City called Cedar Vally fish and Game that is a 100-200 yrd range. There is another nice range around Anamosa called Matsells bridge, not really sure how to get to that one. Only been there once. The one in Central City cost about 35 a year to become a member and to get the key to the gate. Not sure what a membership for Isik Walton costs these days but they have pistal ranges there too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The Izaak Walton Leage in CR is $77 a year.  I am a memeber there and waiting for the yearly shoot to qualify for CMP then I am going to order 2 M1s... hopefully.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
What is so special about Izaak Walton  in C.R. that is cost $77 a year? What is the range on there rifle range? Do they have an indoor shooting range there?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't know why it is so high.  They have a 100 yard rifle range, 50 yard and 25 yard outdoor pistol range. And an indoor pistol range.  Also a bow range and traps.  If you live in CR it is nice haveing it right in town... it is easy to get too for a quick outing.  I have some pictures some where that i need to upload somewhere so you can get an idea.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#15]
You think $77 for a year of shooting is high?

Hell...  Try going to NLSI, where they hit you for $10 per hour!

(I'm not bashing NLSI, as I go there once in a while)

My father (in IL) belongs to a range that is a few hundred dollars, not to mention 8 hours of cleanup.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Post some pics for me, and shoot me off a message when you have them up somewhere. I think I will get a membership there. It is a little closer to me than Central City is. I like to shoot in the mornings during the week because of the hours I work, it there shouldn't be too many people there shooting when I want to go will there?

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The range at Matsells bridge is a nice range with 100 yd rifle, handgun and skeet. You go west of Anamosa on hwy 64 about 6 miles or so, go past Stickles bull farm ( you cant miss it) take the next gravel to the left. turn left at the next gravel and another left at "T" it is on left. Another is over by Davenport go N on hwy 67 off of I80 (the last exit in IA) go past Eldridge and Princton and it is a few miles north of Princton on R It is very busy on weekends. It is like suicide . there are some stupid people with guns there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:24:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DougD] [#18]
There is a range just north of Cedar Falls in Blackhawk Park. I believe it has a 200 yd rifle range as well as shorter pistol ranges. No cost.

As to the cost on the Cedar Rapids Izaak Walton range - you have to be an Ikes member (or guest w/a member) to shoot there. $77 is for local, state, and national dues to the Izaak Walton League. Once you join, there is no charge to use the range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Just an update on the Banner range between Des Moines and Indianola.  There is an renovation planned for this spring.  I have checked out the plans, they are adding public toilets, a covered shooting area (still with the concrete culvert tubes though!), a consession stand, and a new sign!  It looks to be a very welcome update.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate shooting through those damn concrete culverts!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Council Bluffs: Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club, Inc.
1/2 mile North of Magnolia Rd. on 208th , Council Bluffs, IA 51502.

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (up to 100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 and 200 Yds), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading
Range Access: Private

Glenwood:
S.W.Iowa Sportmen's Club Inc., P.O.Box 148, Glenwood, IA 51534.
Phone: 712-527-3317
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (60 yds), Outdoor Rifle (200 yds), Muzzleloading, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Airgun
Range Access: Public
Email: [email protected]

For a list of more around the state NRA HQ Iowa range list
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Pssst...
about 8 miles north of I-80 on 218. Just past the Res on the West side turn on Coo Falls. Prolly 2 more miles on the North side. All the mud and spent shells you can stand to walk over. I'm not sure of the yardage, cost is $0.00 and bring your own targets, bug repellent, etc.
Ssshhhhh...don't tell anyone...
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By AtLarge:
Pssst...
about 8 miles north of I-80 on 218. Just past the Res on the West side turn on Coo Falls. Prolly 2 more miles on the North side. All the mud and spent shells you can stand to walk over. I'm not sure of the yardage, cost is $0.00 and bring your own targets, bug repellent, etc.
Ssshhhhh...don't tell anyone...

Yep, I have been there.  It is only 80 yards or so to the back stop.  Everyone calls it the pit because you can bring anything you want to shoot out there.  Just make sure you wear boots or something because there is alot of glass.  Also there are some crazy people out there that you have to watch out for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2004 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]
If yall are talking about the one I think you are talking about, they were in the process of cleaning it up and making three seperate parts to it when we went there last fall!  Ranger said there will be shotgun, pistol, and rifle areas.  Sounds like it will be nice when they are done with it!!!!!  Maybe a little safer too!
Link Posted: 6/11/2004 9:05:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M11293] [#25]

Originally Posted By Synister1:
Council Bluffs: Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club, Inc.
1/2 mile North of Magnolia Rd. on 208th , Council Bluffs, IA 51502.

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (up to 100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 and 200 Yds), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading
Range Access: Private

Glenwood:
S.W.Iowa Sportmen's Club Inc., P.O.Box 148, Glenwood, IA 51534.
Phone: 712-527-3317
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (60 yds), Outdoor Rifle (200 yds), Muzzleloading, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Airgun
Range Access: Public
Email: [email protected]

For a list of more around the state NRA HQ Iowa range list

I have been to the Council Bluffs range and it is awesome.  I live near by.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
In dickinson county there is alot of federal land great for pheasant and other bird game but deep in the land is a nice little shooters range.  Has the concrete 'holes' to shoot through which is annoying and I don't enjoy using.  I haven't been out this year yet seeing as I just got back into shooting.  I plan on going out sometime this weekend or later in the week.  If I remember right it has an 80 yard 200 yard and 300 yard.  all with mounds for backdrop.  Surrounded by farm or federal land so few people actually take the time to find it.  like others there is alot of broken glass and some rednecks who like to just go out and blow crap up.  I am almost affraid to go alone seeing the remote nature of the range.  Don't even know if the medical or police can always find it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Sports Outfitters on 16th ave in Cedar Rapids

indoor Pistol 25+ yards and Rifle think 100 yards
cost $10 an hour IIRC.

besides that go down by coralville resevoir between Cedar Rapids and Iowa city
cost nothing though last I knew was being worked on alot. eventually will have its own
pistol range and 100 yard rifle.

last I heard may have the concrete tubes,parking lot and possible range master. cost was zero might be a fee

supposed to be a range at a park north of marion cannot recall the name.

http://www.wheretoshoot.org
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By todds92:
I hate shooting through those damn concrete culverts!

Me too!  Definitely wear your hearing protection!
I forgot when I was sighting in my slug gun ONCE

...that was the last time I forgot, though
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Banner pits is definitely nicer now and
STILL FREE TOO!
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 2:39:54 AM EDT
[#32]
There is a place where the Ridge Runners have their black powder shoots between Cherokee and Quimby on River Road. You have to be a member of the Iowa Wildlife something or other to be down there, it costs $25 the first time and then $10 a year after that. There are 25, 50, and 100 yard berms with benches and a half assed shotgun clay range.
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone still shoot at CLear Lake Rifle & Pistol?
They were north of Hwy18 between Clear Lake & Mason City
I shot there alot in the early 90s with a great bunchand had lots of fun
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#34]
This might sound really stupid but how do public ranges work?  How do you go about setting up targets and stuff.  When other people are there do you take turns shooting and then everybody goes down and changes targets at the same time?

How are the concrete culvert tubes at Banner range setup?  Does anybody have any pictures of the Banner range?  I have never been to a public range before so I'm trying to learn what to expect so I don't look like a fool.  I grew up in the country and my dad owns several hundred acres so I always had my own private range to shoot at.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 2:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_Hineline] [#35]
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#36]
What's the story on the Glenwood range?

The phone number is for an old lady and the email bounces back as unknown user.

Is there better contact info or did it cease to be?
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I lived in Iowa from 94 to 97, these are some places I liked to shoot:

1. Daryl's guns in State Center (up by Marshalltown) has an indoor range, was talking about setting up highpower:
http://www.darylsguns.com/

2. Charles "Butch" Olofson range by Polk City:
http://www.olofsonrange.com/

3. High power matches in Montezuma with the Poweshiek County Sportsmans Assn.:
http://www.iowahighpower.com/iaClub-pcsa.htm
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Story in the Glenwood range:

I joined last year when I moved back.  It is a little on the "Sportsman" side of things if you know what I mean.  I went through their Range Safety Officer training and was asked to call them "guns" and not weapons because it sounded less deadly...ht.
Anyway, here is their website.   www.glenwoodsports.com/sisportsman/   I just showed up and paid for my membership.  Not a big deal, after you shoot as a guest twice, you are asked to join.  $30 a year.

Hope this helps!

James
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#39]

I joined last year when I moved back. It is a little on the "Sportsman" side of things if you know what I mean. I went through their Range Safety Officer training and was asked to call them "guns" and not weapons because it sounded less deadly...

Was it the NRA RSO class?

The NRA has a thing about having their instructors (I'm one) use that terminology.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By donbcivil:

I joined last year when I moved back. It is a little on the "Sportsman" side of things if you know what I mean. I went through their Range Safety Officer training and was asked to call them "guns" and not weapons because it sounded less deadly...

Was it the NRA RSO class?

The NRA has a thing about having their instructors (I'm one) use that terminology.

Yes, it was the NRA material.  I guess that is where they picked it up then.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I am a new guy  here member Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol
Don't forget the little 600yd range in Van Meter
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Not too many shooters bring thier own Huey's to the Sportsmen's club so I don't think the berms will be hit at such an angle as in that video.hollow
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone in DesMoines County can join the DM. Co. Range. It costs $30.00 a year. The DNR require you to take a 4 hr. class. You bring weapons, paper targets, staple gun. Stands are provided. Covered staitions, 25,50,100,300 meter ranges. I have been to the pit by IC, another pit by Madrid and Woodward, on 210. I have also been at those damn tubes(silencers) at banner, but DM. Counties is, in my opinion the best range for your dollars.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By Flyboy:
Another is over by Davenport go N on hwy 67 off of I80 (the last exit in IA) go past Eldridge and Princton and it is a few miles north of Princton on R It is very busy on weekends. It is like suicide . there are some stupid people with guns there.

It is actually past LeClaire and Princeton.  

I've had a blast every time I've been there.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KClapp] [#46]

Originally Posted By mrapathy:
supposed to be a range at a park north of marion cannot recall the name.

A bit north, but mostly east.  I live in Marion and it's less than a 20 minute drive.  It's the Matsel's Bridge Recreation area.  You take County Home Road east from the intersection of Highway 13 and follow the signs.  The range is a part of the state park (with camping, trails, etc.).  It has a 200 yard rifle range, a 100 yard pistol range, and a shotgun/trap area.  The pistol and rifle points have overhead cover and benches.  It's unsupervised and free.  You can't beat it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:45:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nf9648] [#49]
Around Davenport there is the public range by Princeton, which is a gravel parking lot and roughly 100m out to the berm.  In Muscatine there is another public one down by the sand pits.  Cant tell roads as its been a few years since Ive been to either one, but those are the two I grew up shooting at.  Both are free with no RSO's, just dont be a dick and shoot any glass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Damm, I feel for you guys. OK For a public range there is Brushy Creek State Park. They have a skeet range, 100 yards rifle and pistol range. You'll have to stop by the park office to get directions. But if you want to try my directions is is 8 miles east of Fort Dodge on Hwy 20 to P73, take P73 south to D46, turn east on D46 and go about 2 miles to Brushy creek road and then turn north about 1/4 mile. Range is on the east side of the road.

Now for my Private ranges I have access to, A 550 yard range by Stanhope, 150 yard range by New Providence and a 50 yard pistol and 400 yard rifle near Clemons. But like I said, It'sprivate and only I have complete access. Yes, I'm bragging.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Tacked Ranges (Page 1 of 4)
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top