Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/14/2009 8:08:11 AM EDT
Hey guys, I got to jump the border this weekend for some business with the lady friend.   Any good gun shops in the Moline area?  Not looking for anything specific, (although SR primers would be nice) I just need to burn some time.

thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always had great luck with Shooting Sports Unlimited.  Great guys to deal with... Shooting Sports Unlimited
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
what he said. ive never been there, but all the guys at work says its a nice shop. rumor has it ammo is reasonably priced also. B&B shooting supplies in bettendorf also, and ammo is reasonably priced there also. stay away from gander MTN.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, B&B isn't bad.  It's been a few years since I shopped in the Quad cities.
Do any of you remember "The Biggest Gun Whore in the Midwest"?  Boyd's Guns of Davenport!  I bought my first Springfield 1911A1 from them.  $279 new.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree, B&B isn't bad.  It's been a few years since I shopped in the Quad cities.
Do any of you remember "The Biggest Gun Whore in the Midwest"?  Boyd's Guns of Davenport!  I bought my first Springfield 1911A1 from them.  $279 new.

the last time i was in B&B they had nearly all archery stuff, a bb gun, and some 22 shells...  from the time i was going there five years ago to now it has really slipped in terms of firearms...

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the last time i was in B&B they had nearly all archery stuff, a bb gun, and some 22 shells...  from the time i was going there five years ago to now it has really slipped in terms of firearms...

Shooting Sports, good place the owners are nice and easy to talk to, little bit of every type of firearms.  They are a little steep but I always walk out with ammo because they are good peoples.
B&B, if you are looking for a nice turkey gun and some Springfield Armory products check this place out.
Gander Mountain wants you to pay their taxes with a gun purchase.  
I remember Boyd's on Locust Street, guy seemed kinda more interested in old coins than guns.
Some different pawn shops downtown Davenport if your looking for a High Point, Jennings, or a beat up 870 for $350.
Quad Cities is kind of lame, just make sure to go to Bent River Brewing Company in downtown Moline for a Mississippi Blonde.  Have fun shopping!
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Square Shooters in Davenport. Just off Rockingham Road and S. Rolff St. Look for the Aldi store. Right across the side street. They might have some primers. I haven't been there in a while but seem to be decent guys and haven't been too high in the past.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
How many QC folks are there here?
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just moved to central Iowa from the QC.  I have lived in the QC my entire life minus my time in the service.  I have lived in every city in the Quads and have more than a passing knowledge of the QC.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just moved to central Iowa from the QC.  I have lived in the QC my entire life minus my time in the service.  I have lived in every city in the Quads and have more than a passing knowledge of the QC.

Cool! I live south east in the greater Kewanee area as I call it.

I always wanted to do a QC dinner, but it would be hard to coordinate between the two HTF's.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Just moved from the QC but still close. Shooting Sports is my favorite shop around even though they are in Illinois.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the QC or the W side of Davenport, near Emeis Park.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Well out of the QC. NW of NW Davenport by about a half hour or a bit more. Just across the county line in Clinton Co.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool! I live south east in the greater Kewanee area as I call it.

I always wanted to do a QC dinner, but it would be hard to coordinate between the two HTF's.

I guess you missed the shoot we had at Princeton (IA) and the dinner afterward last summer. I am sure some remember the all you can eat chicken and shrimp. If I remember right there were about 15 of us that ate after the shoot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, here's a random QC question for you gents.

Because the QC is an extra 15 minutes for me rather than going to Peoria I never get up there, but the g/f and I decided to go up there this weekend to do something different.

What are some good date ideas for the QC area? We did the zoo last fall. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because the QC is an extra 15 minutes for me rather than going to Peoria I never get up there, but the g/f and I decided to go up there this weekend to do something different.

What are some good date ideas for the QC area? We did the zoo last fall. Thanks!

For anyone traveling to or through the quad cities, please note that the I-80 bridge across the Mississippi is either completely closed, or down to one lane.
Make your plans in advance to use the 280 bridge on the West side of town, or the I-74 bridge through the cities.

As far as date ideas....  the grass is always greener in some other town.

I live in Davenport, and have nothing good to say about the Quad Cities.
I personally don't think it has anything worth your gas.  
We have a couple of museums if you are into that kind of stuff.  One has an IMAX theater.  
We have Jim's Ribs, Whitey's ice cream, John Deere, and four Super Wal-Marts.  WooHoo!

You have the same corn fields we do.  

Black flies (buffalo gnats) are already a problem, so outdoor activities might not be much fun.

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bought my first firearm from Freelands in Rock Island in 1986.  They closed a long time ago.

I bought my second firearm from Boyd's when they had a store in Rock Island.  
Gene Boyd moved away from guns and more into jewelery because he thought Bill Clinton was going to take his business away.

I bought a couple of guns from T.J. Brokers in Moline before he went out of business and became a fucking parking enforcement officer.

I bought a gun from one of the Bartells (sp?) at Shooting Sports.

I bought a gun at the K&K True Value in Bettendorf.  

I bought a couple of guns at B&B.

A buddy of mine is great friends with the owner of Square shooters.  He told me they have primers, but will only sell them with bullets.

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

we always run prist...  N58WS...

JP4 is GTG...

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For anyone traveling to or through the quad cities, please note that the I-80 bridge across the Mississippi is either completely closed, or down to one lane.
Make your plans in advance to use the 280 bridge on the West side of town, or the I-74 bridge through the cities.

We have a couple of museums if you are into that kind of stuff.  One has an IMAX theater.  
We have Jim's Ribs, Whitey's ice cream, John Deere, and four Super Wal-Marts.  WooHoo!

Black flies (buffalo gnats) are already a problem, so outdoor activities might not be much fun.

Well sorry you don't have anything good to say about the Quads.  Traffic across the 74 bridge is no problem if you don't try to cross during rush hour.  Well, I have some good things to say about the Quad Cities.  The police are professional and always there when you need them.  I always like to visit the museum in Davenport and the Figge Art Museum in downtown Davenport.  Also, there are some good eateries in downtown Moline to take the special lady, also a bike path to walk on right on the river, the Ben Butterworth Parkway.  Very pretty river, and nice breeze off the river.  Oh, and the gnats are just terrible, carried off my last girlfriend so be careful!!

Just kidding.  The gnats are nothing.  Downtown Davenport is pretty hoppin' and poppin' on the weekends, bands play at the Red Room and Baseball games at John O'Donnell Stadium.  Corn fields are at least 3 miles from downtown QC's so you'll be just fine, so don't worry about the children in the corn fields.
And most important, go to Bent River Brewery in downtown Moline for a Mississippi Blonde beer.  You just have to rub elbows with some dirty hippies but it is well worth it!!!  Heck, I'll be there Friday and Saturday playing Family Guy pinball, maybe I'll see ya...

Edit:  If I lived in a town and had nothing good to say about it, like the reaper,I would just end it all, or move.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well sorry you don't have anything good to say about the Quads.  Traffic across the 74 bridge is no problem if you don't try to cross during rush hour.  Well, I have some good things to say about the Quad Cities.  The police are professional and always there when you need them.  I always like to visit the museum in Davenport and the Figge Art Museum in downtown Davenport.  Also, there are some good eateries in downtown Moline to take the special lady, also a bike path to walk on right on the river, the Ben Butterworth Parkway.  Very pretty river, and nice breeze off the river.  Oh, and the gnats are just terrible, carried off my last girlfriend so be careful!!

Just kidding.  The gnats are nothing.  Downtown Davenport is pretty hoppin' and poppin' on the weekends, bands play at the Red Room and Baseball games at John O'Donnell Stadium.  Corn fields are at least 3 miles from downtown QC's so you'll be just fine, so don't worry about the children in the corn fields.
And most important, go to Bent River Brewery in downtown Moline for a Mississippi Blonde beer.  You just have to rub elbows with some dirty hippies but it is well worth it!!!  Heck, I'll be there Friday and Saturday playing Family Guy pinball, maybe I'll see ya...

Edit:  If I lived in a town and had nothing good to say about it, like the reaper,I would just end it all, or move.

Thats for taking to time to write that out! I wanted to go up to the Figge because we both love art but she doesnt want to waste a nice day inside.

Reaper: hey man....its better than Beardstown.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats for taking to time to write that out! I wanted to go up to the Figge because we both love art but she doesnt want to waste a nice day inside.

Reaper: hey man....its better than Beardstown.

Beardstown.  Home of "what's that smell"  Oscar Meyer when I was growing up.
I grew up in Astoria.  27 miles from Beardstown.

Police on the Illinois side have a pretty good response time.
Iowa side is spread too thin.  In general, about a 20 minute response time to non-injury traffic accidents.
I reported a neighbors house getting broken into, and even that took 20 minutes.

The local government has soured me on living here.  If it wasn't for the economic times we are in, I would move.

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I conceded defeat today and agreed to go to Ikea in Chicago instead.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top