BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:45:52 AM EDT
just a sneek peak at what is to come.

before tuesday:

after tuesday:

we're going to take it to grade then bring in some more dirt for the walls and backwall.  as you can see the back wall is a bit short on dirt.  we also may widen it in an effort to get more dirt without digging holes elsewhere.  

currently it is 50 yards deep and and roughly 15 yards wide (interior).  the berm bases are nearly 20 yards wide, so i don't think my idea of going 12 to 15 feet high is too out of line...  my dirt guy is bitching of course...

he'll get over it.

never having built one of these before is there anything i'm leaving out?  the clubhouse will be nothing more than one of those "$799 installed" steel carports, but that'll serve as shelter from the sun, rain, etc.

any ideas are welcome.  

-michael
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I always wanted to do this back when my folks had land!  Looks good, I'd probably make it a little bit wider, maybe out to about 25 yards or so on the interior, but apart from that it looks to be coming along nice.  Where abouts in the state are you located?  Since we don't have any land anymore, if this is an open to the public sort of thing I'm need of a place to shoot!

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW:

http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/resLibDoc.cfm?filename=facility_mngmnt/design/baffles_berms.htm&CAT=Facility+Managementhttp://

Sorry, couldn't get the hot link to work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/resLibDoc.cfm?filename=facility_mngmnt/design/baffles_berms.htm&CAT=Facility+Management

very informative with some good ideas.  glad you posted it dave.  looks like the physical portion of my berm will work well.  i may add some height to the back wall though.  ...just to be extra safe.

the 4E's are a super idea too.  that is the kind of thing i need to implement and adhere to...

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I always wanted to do this back when my folks had land!  Looks good, I'd probably make it a little bit wider, maybe out to about 25 yards or so on the interior, but apart from that it looks to be coming along nice.  Where abouts in the state are you located?  Since we don't have any land anymore, if this is an open to the public sort of thing I'm need of a place to shoot!  

i'm located between marshalltown and des moines.  i'm not sure whether it'll be public or by invite or what...  i'm dovetailing it with my small gun business, so it may take on a more formal form in the future.  for now, i want to use it and invite others to do so in an effort to build it into not only a shooting lane, but a scenario for practice with pistols and carbines, movers, steel, B27s, etc.  proper planning will make all the difference, so i'm not jumping in too quick.  

my largest hurdle is that of electricity.  i don't have any on that spot, nor do i want to.  at least for now.  i'm considering building a hand crank style system to send out paper targets and something similar for "movers" going fore and aft as well as sideways...  i've got some conceptual sketches already...

you should come to one of the shoots we've been having.  folks are safe and respectful.  you might enjoy it.  you're certainly welcome to attend if you're safe and respectful too?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad you didn't take me up on volunteering to shovel!

Looks great.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
<quote>
my largest hurdle is that of electricity.  i don't have any on that spot, nor do i want to.  at least for now.  i'm considering building a hand crank style system to send out paper targets and something similar for "movers" going fore and aft as well as sideways...  i've got some conceptual sketches already...
</quote>

The indoor range at Ames Ikes might be an ok handcrank system to pattern.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know you said you didn't want any electricity but if and when you are ready for it I can help out there. I was in that field for 5 years.

Untill then if there is any other help you may need let me know. I have a very strage work seclude but I can email it to you. As kind as you are to shooters and to me my first time out I would love the chance to help.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you said you didn't want any electricity but if and when you are ready for it I can help out there. I was in that field for 5 years.

Untill then if there is any other help you may need let me know. I have a very strage work seclude but I can email it to you. As kind as you are to shooters and to me my first time out I would love the chance to help.

Mechanical engineer, certified welder or weldor and hobby machinist.  I will help the best I can.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm located between marshalltown and des moines.  i'm not sure whether it'll be public or by invite or what...  i'm dovetailing it with my small gun business, so it may take on a more formal form in the future.  for now, i want to use it and invite others to do so in an effort to build it into not only a shooting lane, but a scenario for practice with pistols and carbines, movers, steel, B27s, etc.  proper planning will make all the difference, so i'm not jumping in too quick.  

you should come to one of the shoots we've been having.  folks are safe and respectful.  you might enjoy it.  you're certainly welcome to attend if you're safe and respectful too?

Sounds cool, wish I lived closer!  We're up in Delaware County, still, might have to stop down for a shoot sometime.  Not too many people I can find up here who are into this stuff.  And I'd certainly like to think I'm safe and respectful, only ways to be!

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
<quote>
</quote>

The indoor range at Ames Ikes might be an ok handcrank system to pattern.

You could use 12 volt car batteries to power small 12v motors to move your targets around ?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I began designing a moving/pop-up target system that ran off of 12V car batteries. There are lots of motors and solenoids out there for 12V, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to build such a range! Also, you could build a simple Solar Cell charge controller to keep the batteries charged so they would always be ready to go. I'll see if I can dig up some info on the components I have and was planning on using.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I began designing a moving/pop-up target system that ran off of 12V car batteries. There are lots of motors and solenoids out there for 12V, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to build such a range! Also, you could build a simple Solar Cell charge controller to keep the batteries charged so they would always be ready to go. I'll see if I can dig up some info on the components I have and was planning on using.

12VDC could work.  i was balancing cost and effectiveness over need...  the power isn't that far away, so i could run a line down to it (under 80 yards distance IIRC).  i simply didn't have that in the budget.  if i opted for 12VDC, batts, chargers, etc. i'd still have cost associated with it that i hadn't budgeted against...

maybe i should explore it a bit more before i decide...  i'm visualizing stretch cord like that used in boat covers, bicycle rims, and a 10 speed bike cut in half.  tastefully of course...

ha!

maybe it should be a subject of discussion at the next shoot.  you guys sound like you might have some really good ideas.  the generosity of the shooting community is amazing.  i much appreciate all your willingness to help!

-michael

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
How's the drainage?  will you get a small lake when it rains?

(can't see the pictures)

ok, they showed up, looks pretty good!

No more digging up holes in the yard when shooting pistols then?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]

wouldn't a cheap commercial grade geny provide plenty of power as needed ?

looks very nice.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#16]
the pics are not very good.  we are only in the beginning stages.  more dirt will be placed along the sides and the rear berm will be about twice as high as it is now.  basically i'll end up with 12' sides and 16' rear berms...  there is grade from front to back, so no standing water.

this'll take a while to finish.  the dirt will freeze dry and settle and then more work will need to be done in the spring.  at that point, i'll seed it, plant dogwood, honeysuckle, etc. along the top and exterior sides of the berm and allow the grass to grow inboard...  i'll mow the floor and leave the berm walls with free standing grasses.  maybe prairie grasses or whatever...  it'll look good and the exterior of the berm will provide songbird habitat...  i know it sounds odd, but i've shot for years a few feet from bird nests, and they always seem to stick around, so why not?

more pics to follow.  more work was done yesterday...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#17]
i sell diesel gen sets at work, and i still don't want to do that.  for what it would cost to do that i could provide line power.  

i'll have to see...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]

getting closer...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Damnit, now I have to get a job in Iowa!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me know if you need any help with the construction end of getting things working how you want them.

I would jump at the opportunity for those creases in the top of your benches to be my fault.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top