Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:02:01 PM EDT
been seeing a few AR's out there the last few times.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
We did a couple IA/IL ARFcom shoots there last year but the DNR started their reclamation and the dingbat officer banned ColbyJack from the place for parking his rock climber on a boulder there. Plus his feverish efforts at educating all of us on gun safety. Anyway the shoots died off after that. Some still shoot there but can't remember for sure who frequents the range.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a nasty, nasty place, but about 3 of us still go there ever couple of months - it's 15 mins from our houses, while the Milan Rifle Club (Illinois) is 30 mins.  Gas prices and all...

Almost shot some a$$hole out there for shooting while the firing line was cold (we were setting targets).  Yelled at him instead and he said "Hurry the f_ck up!".  DNR is absent after 4 pm - be warned.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Any idea what time the DNR gets there in the morning?

I used to shoot there a lot.

While it was a little less safe than other ranges, you could shoot things
other than paper targets and clay pigeons.  

I haven't been to any range in the last year.  

As such, I think I have a half dozen new firearms that haven't been fired.

But those damn black flies aka "buffalo gnats" are just fierce out there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
lol i remember the good ole days.....

wheres the next closest public range? -chris
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I still shoot there weekly, once the DNR RO gets to know you and that you are safe he a pretty good guy. Sometimes he helps me carry my gear. If I don't bring the .50 bmg rifle he tells me to bring to liven up the place

For bugs uses a Thermacell from Walmart but are $22.00 plus refills (sporting goods section) but get rid of the fly and skiter and helps a little with the nates. For the nates use Asobrin Jr (?) it will keep them away (it's in the BenGay section).

The bugs were bad and a few people showed me what they used and now I use them at home also with good results.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Any idea what time the DNR gets there in the morning?

I have only seen him on the weekends.  The last couple times I went out during the week (9am-12pm or so) he hasn't been there.

Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I still shoot there weekly, once the DNR RO gets to know you and that you are safe he a pretty good guy. Sometimes he helps me carry my gear. If I don't bring the .50 bmg rifle he tells me to bring to liven up the place

For bugs uses a Thermacell from Walmart but are $22.00 plus refills (sporting goods section) but get rid of the fly and skiter and helps a little with the nates. For the nates use Asobrin Jr (?) it will keep them away (it's in the BenGay section).

The bugs were bad and a few people showed me what they used and now I use them at home also with good results.

Maybe I will see you there.  I was going weekly, but the last month or so, I've been packing/moving, and haven't been out.  I try to get there early in the morning  before it gets crowded.

The range officer helped me get my CMP Garand, I had all of the paperwork but the shooting qualification, I took the paperwork out there and he gave me a quick firearms safety training, watched me shoot, then signed it.  He seems to be a good guy.

ETA:  thanks for the bug info, they were really bad the last time I was out there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Just spent a few hours there today.  Gnats seem to have been replaced by Japanese Beetles

DNR officer hasn't been there the past few months on weekdays from 5pm to dark... or I've just missed him every time I head out that direction (I try to go once a week).  He's a good guy once you get to know each other, but can seem "off" at first.

Place is generally safe and others on the line are always friendly (to me at least).  

Been seeing ARs out there quite often
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
went with friends wile visiting fam  for an on the fly shoot............ was in my dress blues  and was giving the safty of shooting firearms  talk .................................come on now do you think i really need that talk  lol  oh well  i am now in a nice contractor job and in a OPEN CARRY STATE
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top