Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/20/2007 8:43:42 AM EDT
I'm new to the mushroom hunting scene.  All I really know about them is how tasty they are.  Anyone want to get together this spring and show me the ins and outs of mushroom hunting?  Maybe a there are a few other noobs that could use a primer too?  Perhaps with some time at the range afterwards?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a mushroom hunter but unfortunately my wife is.  The only thing I can tell you is that her favorite hidden spots are probably going to her grave with her.  I'm sure other mushroom hunters are the same way.  When mushroom season is in full swing, we have mushrooms everywhere in different stages of cleaning, packaging, and storing.  I really hate mushrooms.  I'd really like my freezer back and am only alowed to toss out old stored mushrooms when the new batches are being put in.  Have I mentioned that I really hate them damn mushrooms!    
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That's like getting the key to Ft. Knox.  Just pay the price at local veggie stand or grocery store, eat till you get sick, then do something fun with your weekend.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
we have a crapload of 'em on the land we turkey hunt (approx. 2500 acres total, all to ourselves for turkey season) and i don't care for them at all.

i'll usually grab a few for the in-laws though when i'm out chasing Tommy and his friends.

not that i'd be opposed to a range day by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You might be able to get someone to show you one of their crappy sites if you were to purchase them a new rifle of their choice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You might be able to get someone to show you one of their crappy sites if you were to purchase them a new rifle of their choice.

That would work for me.

I may be interested in showing you the ropes.  We could do it on neutral ground.  I taught one friend how to hunt them, and made the mistake of taking him to my favorite woods.  He now goes there and hits my spots.  I still kick his ass in the amount I find.  Besides, I always manage to find a few new spots every year.

Check out my site.  It is informative and exclusive to Iowa.  Lots of friendly people there.  I haven't maintained it since last spring, but with the upcoming season It should be getting more active soon.  Iowa Morel Forum

Here are a few more helpful sites.
www.mushroomexpert.com/discuss.pl
www.morels.com/

I am planning on organizing a mushroom festival and hunting competition one of these years.  I am surprised Iowa doesn't have one.  Almost every other state around us does!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't like mushrooms.  Don't like mushroom hunters that walk across the rifle range at Ames Ikes, while we are shooting.

No, I'm not making that up.  Happens almost every year.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
take a bullhorn.  walk up right next to the person.  hit the siren on the bullhorn as loud as you feel necessary.

then say "please don't walk across a live shooting range, you ninny."

flick them in the ear and go back to shooting.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't like mushrooms.  Don't like mushroom hunters that walk across the rifle range at Ames Ikes, while we are shooting.

No, I'm not making that up.  Happens almost every year.

The first thing I noticed when I joined Ames was all the elms downrange.  I know there has to be mushrooms down there, but I am not suicidal or idiotic.  I am not surprised though that people do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:Iowa Morel Forum

www.morels.com/

you've got to be shitting me...  they have sites for this stuff now?  between shooting, hunting/eating shrooms, and loading shells, i'm not certain i'll get much work done this spring...

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

you've got to be shitting me...  they have sites for this stuff now?  between shooting, hunting/eating shrooms, and loading shells, i'm not certain i'll get much work done this spring...

shit, i have never known a salesman to work anyhow..........fuggin clerks

bb
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm not a sales guy.  i'm a super sales guy...

there's a distinct monetary difference...
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:Iowa Morel Forum

www.morels.com/

Yep,  they've been around for sometime.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not a mushroom hunter but unfortunately my wife is.  The only thing I can tell you is that her favorite hidden spots are probably going to her grave with her.  I'm sure other mushroom hunters are the same way.  When mushroom season is in full swing, we have mushrooms everywhere in different stages of cleaning, packaging, and storing.  I really hate mushrooms.  I'd really like my freezer back and am only alowed to toss out old stored mushrooms when the new batches are being put in.  Have I mentioned that I really hate them damn mushrooms!    

I have lots of freezer space, you can send the mushrooms to me.  I'll even trade for ammo.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top