Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 12/27/2006 11:41:01 AM EDT
Welp, Scheels didn't have any entry level kits near my price range so I just bought a bunch of ammo.  I figure that I'll have extra brass once done with that.  I'll just order what I need later on or scrounge it up at a couple of gun shows.  Any sort of input on good parts that won't break the bank would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy once, buy Dillon, never waste money by having to upgrad or replace the cheap gear.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy once, buy Dillon, never waste money by having to upgrad or replace the cheap gear.

Although there are several brands which produce a variety of quality equipment, this is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It also makes a difference how seriously I want to take it.  I don't mind spending $130 on a basic setup and then replacing parts as I outgrow them if I do get more into it.

my main goal is to save money on ammo.  I'm not worried about having match grade quality right now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The way to save money on ammo is to not waste a lot of time building it. How much is your time worth.

A Dillon reloading press will crank out about 800rnds of 45ACP ammo an hour, the basic reloading press is going too take 5hrs to make that much.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand that a higher priced/better press will save me time but I am fine with sitting down for an hour to crank out 100 rounds.

I have other hobbies that require my funding and bills to pay off.  I can't afford to drop $300 on just the press.

if only it didn't cost so much to work on the mustang!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a Lee 3 hole turret or loadmaster.  Wont break the bank and they can crank em out.  I have the 3 hole that I have been loading on for 10+ years and I can easily do 200+ rds an hour.  With dillon you have to buy conversion kits plus the dies if you want to load another caliber.  With Lee you just buy the dies.  

I haven't bought into the whole Dillon "kool aid" posse yet.  It would cost me too much considering I am loading for nine calibers.  Plus, it feels good to be different.

Just watch the EE and other places and piece it together.  You can get going pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get a Lee 3 hole turret or loadmaster.  Wont break the bank and they can crank em out.  I have the 3 hole that I have been loading on for 10+ years and I can easily do 200+ rds an hour.  With dillon you have to buy conversion kits plus the dies if you want to load another caliber.  With Lee you just buy the dies.  

I haven't bought into the whole Dillon "kool aid" posse yet.  It would cost me too much considering I am loading for nine calibers.  Plus, it feels good to be different.

Just watch the EE and other places and piece it together.  You can get going pretty cheap.

That's kinda what I was thinking about getting
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Ozzy seems to have issues running a 550 too.

He does do fairly well on his lee turret.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ozzy seems to have issues running a 550 too.

True enough!  Too many rounds at the turret.

He does do fairly well on his lee turret.

Well, if I ever do jump on the blue bus I will get a 650 most likely. I would love a 1050 other than that whole no lifetime guarantee thing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
ha, I forgot that I overpaid my sears CC so I used that to order the Lee turret, .223 dies, and tumbler from cabellas. :)

I built a reloading bench yesterday out of extra lumber that I had in the garage.  I'll have to pick up a book or 2 when I get the rest of the supplies!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you did good.

I started with a single stage,stepped up to the turret,then got a Dillon.Sometimes I use the turret when I am just in the mood to relax and load rounds.

I have an extra Lyman reloading guide if you want it (I think it's #47-I'll double check when I get home tonight).IM me your address and I'll send it to you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Good call.  I think you will be much happier than with the anniversary kit.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#13]
looks like I'll have about 1000 free 9mm casings soon as well :)
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top