Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:53:35 AM EDT
I didn't realize how much fun IDPA would be.  I will be doing them more often, and will be trying IPSC soon.

If you haven't tried one, I strongly suggest it.  For $5 plus the cost of ammo, it was well worth it.  The shoot lasted about 4 hours, and some of those guys can really shoot.  However, you do not need to be skilled with a pistol in order to have a good time.  I am not fast or accurate, and I had all kinds of fun.  Everyone was very informative and helpful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
did you shoot in Ames?

I couldn't make the Ames shoot on Saturday  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
yep.  Nice group of guys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
yes they are

glad to hear you had a good time  that is the first one I have missed in about 4 months

funny i was there when it was snowing, but cant make it when the weather is nice!!?!?

how many where there?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
25-30.  They split into two groups.  We started around 10 and were out by 2.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
wow thats alot of people
well when the weather is nice

do you know about the ames ikes web page to get you score?

www.amesikes.org/
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I am waiting patiently for the update.  I did really well on a couple of runs, and not so well on others.  I was pretty happy with my performance since I really had no idea of what I was getting into.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
what do you shoot

I normally shoot my 4" xd-40

I have shot my Kimber 1911
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot my G23.  I am thinking that it would be a lot of fun to try using my SW 36 Chief's Special.  Five shots at a time and a 2 inch barrel could make that really interesting.

In reality, I will practice A LOT more before ever trying to go that route.  I was slow enough with the semi-auto.

It still seems like it would be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
there is a guy, I think his name is Skip, he shoots a wheel and he is really quick

his reloads are really fast in fact I think faster than a lot of the autos

I'm still pretty new to the group but they have really helped me a lot

I think I heard that Darin was not going to be there this week, he puts the info on the web page so it maybe a day or two before its posted
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, evidently Darin was sick.  Another person mentioned Skip as well.  I don't think he was there, but if he was he was in the other group.  I would like to have seen someone working a wheel gun up there, especially someone who knows what they are doing and can do it well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
he was at the Feb shoot and was dang fast in my book  

one of the other guys said you should see him when he has been practicing

none of us get enough practice in the winter!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
How long have you been doing IDPA?  Do you hit up any of the other ones in the central Iowa area?  Do you do any IPSC?  I want to try the "run and gun" I have heard about with IPSC.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have shot in the Ames IDPA matches for about 5-6 months (or 5-6 matches)

I have not been to the matches in Boone yet or at the Olofson range near Polk City, but have been told that they are both very well run.

In fact Jim E, whom you may have shot with, runs the Boone match.

I think the guy Jay C. runs or at least shoots in the Olofson matches

www.olofsonrange.com/
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Skip was never told that a revolver is supposed to be slower than a semiauto! Damn he can shoot (and reload) fast. Granted, he's using "cheat" loads (PF of 125 on an 45 ACP, still legal by IDPA rules), but still, he's impressive.

He's also pretty good with his Glock 21, but he hasn't used it in a while yet. And his wife Lorrie is not slouch either (with a Glock 34).

Good group of people. I haven't been able to make it since November.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
sounds like you had fun!

s.t.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife just placed your eye.  Do you have a fondness for tool?

By the way, it is very distracting and makes me want to call you foul names.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
You duck.

You goose.

Oh, never mind.  That's fowl.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#18]

yeah... it's a tool thing.  i'm hooked on danny carey.  few people can stick like that guy...  

as for the eye and/or it's removal - i'll be keeping it.

s.t.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought that the eye was from Tool. To keep this on topic, Yammer, did you feel warmly welcomed as a new competeter(sp)? I have thought about competing, that way I could actually be honest to my wife when I tell her it is a sport!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I was very warmly welcomed by everyone in attendance.  Everybody went well out of their way to make sure that I understood what was going on and to make sure I felt comfortable asking questions.  There seemed to be a strong desire to support the new people.  When I didn't have anything to put my magazines in one gentleman let me borrow his holder.  Another gentleman gave me his contact information and then passed along contact information for other central Iowa groups.

I strongly suggest you try one out.  I will be going back.

Here is where you will find information about the Ames shoots.
www.amesikes.org/outdoorrange.htm
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Shot there quite a bit before I moved out of Ames (d#$%d budget cuts at ISU).  Nice bunch.  

And yes, Skip is really really really good with that Smith revolver.  Mrs Skip is also quite good, tho she uses a Glock.

Nice thing about that crowd is there is usually two or three really good shooters. but a lot of average shooters as well.  I've been to some clubs where the intimidation factor can be tough to deal with.  But not at Ames.  Even with my limited (ok nonexistent) skill, virtually no practice,  and never using the same gun two matches in a row I could usually get in the middle of the pack.  Most of the time.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad once again to hear you had fun yammerschooner.  I had no doubt.

To let you all know there is a match this Sunday at Olofson at 9:00am.  Signup at 8:30.
Olofson is a really good one.  It usually has a higher round count.  More shooting = more fun, plus more for your money.  They are all great matches though put on by great guys.  Don't forget to help paste stickers and police for brass.  It's always nice to offer to help set up and break down as well.

See ya on the range!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the basic requirement for shooting IDPA?

My guess is:
- Gun (duh)
- Holster

?How many mags?

Reloads during the rounds?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is the basic requirement for shooting IDPA?

My guess is:
- Gun (duh)
- Holster
-At least 2 magazine carriers.

?How many mags? For most matches 3 mags is enough. Although for some stages it helps to have more (for convenience only). No stage ever needs more than 18 rounds, so 3 10-round mags are enough.

Reloads during the rounds? Most stages require reloading of some sort (not all, however). You'll quickly learn to curse the infamous "tactical" reload. It's no biggie.

Thanks.

It's very easy. Just pick any centerfire gun (9mm or bigger), a couple of spare mags, a cheap holster and mag carriers, and you are good to go. Generally a match requires about 50 rounds, although sometimes up to 100 rounds are shot. 50-60 is more common.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
good to know.  thanks.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#26]
idpa was a blast.  it was my first time as well.  i will be back to do it again
and again
and probably again
Brett
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#27]
So, does anyone know of any type of competion that is a little closer to Burlington (SE IA)?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#28]

So, does anyone know of any type of competion that is a little closer to Burlington (SE IA)?

blackta6, talk to Earrnhardt3, he goes to one in Lowell (south of Mt Pleasant). I'm not sure what the affiliation is IDPA or IPSC.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#29]
been on spring break for a week

if you have not been to the Ames shoots check out the links above and come on out!!!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top