Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 12:10:06 PM EDT
Went to the Johnson County Sheriff's Office weekago Tuesday to renew my permit to acquire.  Not carry, just the acquire permit.  The lady at the desk takes down the info, and $15, and says it will be mailed to me "when we've had time to run the checks".  Its coming up on ten days.  No permit in the mail.  A phone call to JCSO.  Sit on hold for about three minutes, then "Well the lady that does that has been sick for a couple of days, I'm sure there's no problem, just call tomorrow".  

Well yes there is a problem.  The Cedar Rapids gunshow is this weekend and it is obvious I will be "permitless" for it.    Granted, I'm pretty close to "moneyless" but that's not the point.  Its not a hard process.  Its not time consuming.  There's really no discretion involved.  NICS comes back clean you're good to go.

I've had permits to acquire since the law went on the books.  I've had them from six different counties.  Even in Story County, hardly a hotbed of NRA supporters, I'm in and out the door, permit in hand,  in five minutes.   But not here in the Peoples Republic of Johnson County.  

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Still going to the show.  More of a selling than buying trip, I hope.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It is too bad this kind of stuff is not handled on a state, rather than county, level.  Then your experience would (or at least should) be similar to mine.  I have yet for the process to take more than 3 days from paperwork to permit in mailbox.

It looks like obtaining a ccw is even harder than getting a purchase permit in your county.  It seems like there is a pattern you are revealing...

Remember the experience next time you vote for your local sheriff.  I will remember it next time I help keep a sheriff like the one I have in my local office.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
CCW permit in Johnson County?  Teehee.  Laugh out loud.  Other than retired LEO's there ain't such a thing in these parts.

And yes, I have a very long memory when it comes to things like this.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a gunshow this weekend?  Who by?

Found it.  Also a coupon for $1 off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I suggest refering your sheriff to IA code 724.19  Issuance of annual permit to acquire.
"The annual permit to acquire pistols or revolvers shall be issued to the applicant immediately upon completion of the application unless the applicant is disqualified under the provisions of section 724.15 and shall be on a form prescribed and published by the commissioner of public safety. The permit shall contain the name of the permittee, the social security number of the permittee, the residence of the permittee, and the effective date of the permit."

Seems crystal clear to me. Maybe he is misinformed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank God I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Johnson County!!That does blow tho.  Should have it after the 3 day wait.  Thats the way it is here in Clinton couny.  I'll be getting mine when I turn 21 in August.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This topic reminded me that mine expired 4 months ago, but in the past I've walked in and walked out with Permit in Jasper County.

after i moved to communist county aka jasper county, i waited a few days for the permit in the mail.  since that point years back i walk in and it is issued within a couple minutes and out you go.

also, it costs $11 here.  some counties charge more or less for the same permit???

odd...

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Called JCSO Friday afternoon.  Permit got "misfiled" and was mailed that afternoon.  Got it on Saturday.  I would like to think it was a simple clerical problem.  And in any other county I'm sure it would have been.  But down here you just never know.............

And yes the fee is $15.  I was under the impression that was statewide but perhaps not.  Iowa Code was silent on that fact, at least on the quick glance I took.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Both purchase and carry permits are good statewide.  For example, a person who gets a carry or purchase permit in Polk County can purchase or carry in Johnson County, whether the Johnson County Sheriff approves or not.

In Polk, a purchase permit is also $11, and prices do vary depending on county.

Did you get your stuff sold?  Did not having the permit save you some money or not?  I tend to go home broke irregardless of how much money I take to the show with me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
edited to reflect info learned.

according to the Story County Fuehrer's--erm, "sheriff's"--website, the permit to purchase is $5.

looks like i'll have to head home on leave this spring and do a little paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry to hear that it is costing you money to receive your permit to aquire.  Last time I got mine, it only cost me the trip to sheriff's office.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm sorry to hear that it is costing you money to receive your permit to aquire.  Last time I got mine, it only cost me the trip to sheriff's office.

Which county?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I am currently a student at ISU, but my permanent address is Butler county.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
In Linn county it was only $5 for the permit, but since they gone to the photo ID it went to $8.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top