Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 3:29:53 PM EDT
I know this is a broad question but I would like some of your opinions.  I would like to find a place with land, small town feel, and near the water.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you vote and want to change this state from Blue, then by all means come to the great state of Iowa were we want to fight for a right-to-carry law, SBR's, and Class III fun stuff. If not go west young man!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife's parents live in Minniapolis, MN nad she went to Iowa State, so she wants to move closer in case they should need help if thier health should start failing.  We are both bored as well and need an adventure, you know aomething new.  I have lots of skills and will make a living no matter where I go.  She was also intertianing the thought of North D, but I cheeck into SD.  My wife does understand the hole gun gree state thing.  Does SD have property taxes? Does Iowa have property taxes?
I was looking at a map and the Northesat corner around Waterloo looks interesting, can anyone eloborate on the part?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yankton looks pretty cool what about jobs and such, taxes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Property taxes are high in economically stable areas in Iowa, now if you move to the boonies in IA, or a depressed area like Burlington, property taxes are cheap. Now our sales tax is higher than most areas in IA, gas is generally higher priced than most other areas of the state. Waterloo area is ok, but if you have kids stay out of Linn County. Too many people losing their kids in that Co. Linn Co. is Cedar Rapids area.

In Iowa there is a min. $15. for application of CCW, and then you have to pay class fees, which I have seen go as high as $90. Then the Sheriff has the final say. You will have to apply for a Permit to purchase handguns which I think is $5.00 anywhere in IA, renews every year for this same price. This allows for a direct exchange for any firearm in the state. Otherwise it is a waiting period.

Good luck with your deceision.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Losing thier kids on Linn County, what are they losing them to?  My wife loves the snow and -30 degree wheather.  She is a MN gal and a real snow hound, she hates it here because we don't get much snow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Burlington...  What the heck is wrong with Burlington?  Burlington is located in one of Iowa's best area's along the Mississippi River.  Great mild weather year-round, Very low crime, no gangs (unlike the bigger cities), good schools, tax's are pretty fair, gas prices are some of the lowest in Iowa/Ill. or MO.  Jobs are not to bad...   I have traveled and worked all over the world, and moved back to Burlington Iowa simply because its the best to live and raise kids.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You are right, Lee county has the highest unemployment rate in the state.  Des Moines county (Burlington) has the third highest unemployment rate in the state.  I moved to SE Iowa for work from the Des Moines area.  I love the hunting and fishing hotspots and the 'small town' atmosphere to raise kids, but that is about all...well I do love my job (most days) so that too is a plus.

www.iowaworkforce.org/trends/pdfs/unemploymentrates.pdf

gas prices are some of the lowest in Iowa/Ill. or MO.

Gas prices are consistantly $0.10/gal higher than in the Des Moines area (I travel there once a week).

edited to add link
edited again because I couldn't read my own link...correctly...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Yah   S.E. Iowa not the best for jobs right now. Alot of plants are closing around there. But some people must have money there is a lot of new homes in the Burlington area that are being built in the last couple of years. Burlington is a good place to work if you like to work service type jobs like Walmart, restaurants, and ect. Lord knows we have alot of  restaurants in this town for the size of the town.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the information my wife and I will have to take a couple trips its looks like to check some of the area out.  Your info so far has been very good, thanks.  If any of you can post more job links in the areas we have talked about it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is the Workforce Developments job search site, just click in the area that you are interested in moving to and it will have job openings listed through the IWD.

https://www1.iowajobs.org/jobs/seeker/search/search.seek?actionButton=searchRegion
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
The south east and south central area what can any of you tell me about towns in this part of the state, My wife and I plan on taking a trip to a few areas and just want to focus on 3 or 4 towns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Jones county is a good spot. CCW is almost shall issue while Cedar county (where I live ) is damn near shall not issue.  Taxes  are fairly resonable and the area is nice.  About 20 minutes from Cedar Rapids (Linn county  non issue county) so work is fairly acceesable.  You are about 40 minutes from the Missisippi river from Anamosa.   I ahve lived all over the country and moved back to Mechanicsville  Iowa to help my parents in their  declining years.  I do like the area.  If you should  need a cyper or live guide to the area jsut email me and I will be happy to help in any way I can.  Also I have a son who lives in Yankton SD. Good gun laws and recreational area,  but taxes can be rough alonf with getting work.  Good luck in your search and may you find you own Nirvana where ever it may be.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
It depends on your particular skill area on jobs whereever you go. You mention you have a lot of skills but don't say in what arena. The Muscatine/ Quad cities area is generally pretty easy to find work in tool and die. however, real estate prices in those areas are usually nuts.  Finding an out of the way place with a reasonable commute is pretty easy though.  pistol aquisition permits are a $10.00 fee and the permit is good for 1 year. I can't tell you CCW prices offhand. To carry concealed depends on lot on the Cheif Law Enforcement officer and county. Some are pretty easy, some are not. A class is required and you have to show you can safely handle the weapon ( not sure if you have to be able to hit anything with it, but you at least have to shoot).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The Waterloo/Cedar Falls is pretty nice. It's about 3.5 hours to Minneapolis, four lane all the way. I hear Black Hawk County sherrif is very CCW friendly as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't know where you are comming from but expect some snow from time to time.

myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/snowday.jpg

A day which will live in infamy............

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
there are more gang problems in Burlington than there are in Cedar Rapids (Linn County)  as for people losing their children in Linn county where does that statement come from?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Blackta6 wrote.
"Too many people losing their kids in that Co. Linn Co. is Cedar Rapids area."
So, I was just asking how and why.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Blackta6 wrote.

I was wondering the same thing
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blackta6 wrote.

I think he was talking about the Jesta Gage deal. And didn't they find a girl in a river up there some where close. I dont know where all that stuff happened but that is the only kids that i can think of in the news as of late. Please set me straight on this.
As for gangs in Burlington they are not as bad as most people think. We havent had any problems in the last 2-3 years they must have moved on or not doin much around here anymore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blackta6 wrote.

I think he was talking about the Jesta Gage deal. And didn't they find a girl in a river up there some where close. I dont know where all that stuff happened but that is the only kids that i can think of in the news as of late. Please set me straight on this.
As for gangs in Burlington they are not as bad as most people think. We havent had any problems in the last 2-3 years they must have moved on or not doin much around here anymore.

Yea there was the Jetseta Gage deal,  with my golden rule don't let registered sex offenders move in with you this wouldn't have happened with my kids.  The other missing girl was in north central Iowa not Linn county and from what I am hearing one of the suspects is a registered sex offender also.  As for the gangs in Sout East Iowa I graduated from high school in in Lee county in the early 90's and lived back in Lee county in the late 90's when I got out of the military .   I have lived in the Cedar Rapids Area since 2000 and it has far less crime and problems then I saw in SE iowa or the problems in the Quad Cities or Waterloo area.  You are actually more likely to have problems in Iowa City then you would in Cedar Rapids.  Although this discussion is all relative as even Iowa's worst crime areas pale in comparison to a lot of states good areas.

Sorry to be defensive but In my opinion Cedar Rapids is probably one of the best areas to raise kids in a semi urban area in Iowa.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I was looking at jobs in Iowa on Monster.com and in my field there are not a lot of jobs (electronics/Electrical industry)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
search for rockwell collins located in both cedar rapids and coralville
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Rynich, If you don't mind crossing the Iowa border into Minnesota, take a look at LaCrescent Mn.
(Southeast Mn.) Across the Mississippi river from La Crosse, WI. Senic, near the river, good job opportunities in Lax. 2 1/2 Hrs from Minneapolis. 4weelin
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I will take a look.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#27]
On the Western side of the state you can move close to Omaha, NE. Potentially more jobs there in your chosen field. Good CCW counties here are Monona, Harrison, Pottawattamie, Mills, and Fremont; stay away from Plymouth, Woodbury, and Crawford (cf. here for gun-friendly  IA counties)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#28]
SW Iowa,

You could toss a stone and physically hit Omaha here in Council Bluffs.  If you can't find a job in Cb Omaha is right there.

You can be in rural with in 10 minutes in any direction of the center of the city.

One of if not the largest CCW county in the state. Last time I spoke to somebody I know at the Dept the sherrif has issued over 6000 CCW permits this year.

You get to write Pott on any forms that ask for county.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top