Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2021 4:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BEAST556]
Gonna be in rapid city next week for a few days than head over to sioux falls for a few days and check things out. I know SD is full and stay out is gonna be  what some of you say but SD will be getting 5 more conservatives and hopefully help to offset some of the liberals that are moving in. Colorado is lost and is swirling the bowl faster and faster every day we can't justify staying any longer.

Any info from you guys would really help us out, I have 20 years maintenance experience and my wife is a kitchen manager for one of our high schools. Are jobs paying a real living wage in rapid I have been looking at job listings but it is hard to tell. The housing market looks to be pretty crazy up there right now like every where else. We would be looking in the 2-4 hundred thousand range.

Thank you for any info in advance!!!

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By meltdown:
It costs more to live near Rapid than Sioux Falls because it's worth it
we have no 4.6% state income tax - so there's that.
View Quote

From what I'm seeing online rapid city has comparable weather to where were at in CO, maybe even a little better because were over 5k here. In your honest opinion how much shitter is sioux falls weather over rapid. I'm  set on rapid but my wife is all about sioux falls because houses are cheaper and she says she is seeing higher wages in sioux falls.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BEAST556:

From what I'm seeing online rapid city has comparable weather to where were at in CO, maybe even a little better because were over 5k here. In your honest opinion how much shitter is sioux falls weather over rapid. I'm  set on rapid but my wife is all about sioux falls because houses are cheaper and she says she is seeing higher wages in sioux falls.
View Quote
South Dakota cost of living is lower than CO, so wages will be lower.

Weather is quite different between RC and SF. The east side of the state is generally much more humid. Rapid City is in the "Banana Belt". I live two hours away and during the winter it is generally warmer and generally cooler in summer.

People in SF are generally more hostile on the road. Much more aggressive driving and I hear honks all the time at street lights, almost never in RC.
These days it seems like SF has a shooting or stabbing about once a day. RC has it's own problems, but SF is waaay worse.

With jobs like that I would be looking for a city close to RC, not RC proper.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have lived in Denver.
Population of almost 3,000,000 now.
Sioux Falls Metro is 265,000.

On that scale, quite different.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By meltdown:
It costs more to live near Rapid than Sioux Falls because it's worth it
we have no 4.6% state income tax - so there's that.

East River has MUUUUCH shittier winters. Long, windy, bitter, bitter cold. Like wind chills of -30 or more for weeks on end. Black Hills generally has more snow but much milder temps. Summer is about equal temp-wise but the Black Hills has less humidity.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustybob] [#6]
Originally Posted By Kit_Karson:

People in SF are generally more hostile on the road. Much more aggressive driving and I hear honks all the time at street lights, almost never in RC.
These days it seems like SF has a shooting or stabbing about once a day. RC has it's own problems, but SF is waaay worse.

View Quote

As crime goes SF dose have a bit more but 99% of it is Drug related so if you not using selling or transporting drugs crime in SF is very low.  I work with the drug crowd daily and of that group SF is turning in to the small pond that the guys from Chicago Minneapolis Kansas city and St Louise run to when the heat get to much at home.

For the most part 95% + they shoot stab and steel from each other.  They do this because the non drug crowed AKA normal people will show up and testify in court and the drug dealer down the street will not.

If your out side of the core area SF is very safe.  Stay out of a area south of Russel/Rice st  North of 14th  east of Western and west of Cliff maybe Cleveland and you should be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replys and info guys. We will be in rapid all week, We cancled the sioux falls half. SF weather and the amount of people  is not what we are looking for. Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rustybob:

As crime goes SF dose have a bit more but 99% of it is Drug related so if you not using selling or transporting drugs crime in SF is very low.  I work with the drug crowd daily and of that group SF is turning in to the small pond that the guys from Chicago Minneapolis Kansas city and St Louise run to when the heat get to much at home.

For the most part 95% + they shoot stab and steel from each other.  They do this because the non drug crowed AKA normal people will show up and testify in court and the drug dealer down the street will not.

If your out side of the core area SF is very safe.  Stay out of a area south of Russel/Rice st  North of 14th  east of Western and west of Cliff maybe Cleveland and you should be just fine.
View Quote

Makes sense. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replys and info guys. We will be in rapid all week, We cancled the sioux falls half. SF weather and the amount of people  is not what we are looking for. Thanks again!!!
View Quote

Enjoy your visit. You'd be a welcome offset to the leftist influx.

Black Hills are great. Rapid City is OK, but for what it's worth I wish I'd bought land outside of town.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By adversor:

Enjoy your visit. You'd be a welcome offset to the leftist influx.

Black Hills are great. Rapid City is OK, but for what it's worth I wish I'd bought land outside of town.
View Quote

Sioux Falls is a liberal craphole, basically a mini-twin cities.  Much like there, there are some nice suburbs surrounding it but you're still going to deal with liberal creep pushing further out as time goes by.  Im enjoying WT, the BLM rally had like 6 people who all looked old and confused, sure there's still some nutters but if Holien beats the Covid Caron next week we should be back on the right path.  That said if it wasn't so far from the rest of the family we'd be out in the Hills full time, it's truly God's country.  You boys who live out there need to step up the patrols to keep the Californians out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Spent the moring exploring spearfish and spent the afternoon in deadwood doing the tourist thing. Gonna hit Mt Rushmore tomorrow morning and check out boxelder in the afternoon. Thanks again for all the replys guys.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like we will be moving to rapid area very soon. House will be sold here in CO on the 20th. We will have 90 days to find  new jobs and a new house.
Were super excited to leave CO in the rearview but extremely stressed about finding jobs and a new house.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like we will be moving to rapid area very soon. House will be sold here in CO on the 20th. We will have 90 days to find  new jobs and a new house.
Were super excited to leave CO in the rearview but extremely stressed about finding jobs and a new house.
View Quote

If you buy a new construction house, do NOT waive inspection. Builders are going gangbusters getting homes up that were sold before they were built. Who knows what corners get cut in a construction boom. If you buy a fixer upper be prepared for long lead times of at least a couple of months for any remodel work to start. The trades are booked out like crazy up here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TrucksAndGuns:

If you buy a new construction house, do NOT waive inspection. Builders are going gangbusters getting homes up that were sold before they were built. Who knows what corners get cut in a construction boom. If you buy a fixer upper be prepared for long lead times of at least a couple of months for any remodel work to start. The trades are booked out like crazy up here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TrucksAndGuns:

And watch out for abandoned gypsum mines!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

@BEAST556 what kind of jobs do you two do?

Also, I can hook you up with the same realtor I hooked up TrucksandGuns with.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

View Quote

The market is getting worse for buyers compared to January when I bought my house. He told me I beat out a few other offers, but now buyers are more frequently going against 10 or more! Also depending on the type of property/area, offers of 10s of thousands over asking are losing out. Talking to guys working on my house and my neighbors, we all agree that I was fortunate to snag the house I did for the price I paid.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally moving to SD in April.
Found a great spot East River!
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

View Quote

Sorry guys I have neen slammed with work it is our busy season and kids going back to school and getting the house ready. We are gonna be heading to rapid this weeken to try and buy a house and check some jobs out. If don't get a house lined up this weekend huskers we might take you up on that offer the housing market is crazy right now. Can't wait to see colorado in the rear view mirror for good. Thanks for all the replys and info guys, once I get settled in hopefully we can meet up at the range and get some trigger time in.

As to our jobs I do maintenance at CSU and my wife is a kitchen manager for one of the high schools in ft collins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top