BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2021 7:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: donbcivil]
Hello,

My wife and I live North of Seattle and are wondering if South Dakota could be a good fit for us.

Keep in mind that outside of King County and the Olympia capitol area, places tend to be purple to a little red. My area had a couple hundred armed folks go downtown when there were threats of antifa visiting at the end of May. Of course, certain political types had a tizzy fit about that.

I have been active for a number of years in gun rights, e.g. an an NRA/ILA volunteer testifying at the capitol. I also ride (Triumph) motorcycles. My wife and I are book geeks very active in the local Catholic church. I work as a techie but the current job should be staying 100% remote. If not, some local tech jobs (data engineering, medical, some Azure cloud) being available would be nice.

We are wondering about places with non-left politics, friendly people and places to be active outdoors. I have been a match shooter off and on for years and hope to eventually get out hunting! Also interested in recommendations for state shooting and gun rights organizations.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Don
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#1]
You will want to live west river a it is more red than east river. The Rapid City area has by far the most outdoor things to do and is the 2nd largest city in the state.

Tech jobs are here from what I hear.

This is motorcycle country. Harley is king here but any two wheelers are good.

Read this thread as a start
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I am from Washington and moving to SD.
My children live there, so easy for me.

Found a nice spot East River, on 2 acres.
Up on a ridge, surrounded by 3 lakes, it is really cool!

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m62-m76:
I am from Washington and moving to SD.
My children live there, so easy for me.

Found a nice spot East River, on 2 acres.
Up on a ridge, surrounded by 3 lakes, it is really cool!
View Quote

Where at?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I will just say,
within a 25 mile radius of Watertown.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: b_saan] [#5]
Originally Posted By m62-m76:
I will just say,
within a 25 mile radius of Watertown.
View Quote

Boulder Ridge? Watertown is my AO, feel free to PM me when you get out here for transfers or a meet up at the city range, I'll bring some MGs...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:19:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrucksAndGuns] [#7]
I bought a house in Summerset, just outside of Rapid City. Closing is in March so in less than 2 months I will be a resident of the great state of South Dakota. The blue state of Nevada can lick deez nutz! Been up here for 3 weeks and it is noticable how people here are generally friendlier than in Southern Nevada. The main reason I decided to move here is that big city left wing politics are by and large not welcome here. I like that everything is open and I do not get hassled by mask nazis like in Nevada. I like that this is the kind of place where the mall has an indoor dog park that has a bar that sells beer-that would never work in Las Vegas due to drunks and ghetto goblins bringing breeds of peace who cause problems. I like that people out here fly US flags and confederate stars and bars flags on their front yards and nobody gets beat up or shot over it. I like that there are no huge multi-million plus populated heavily urbanized shit hole cities the size of L.A. and NYC here. I like that there are stores like Fleet Farm where one can buy lawn mowers, guns, outdoor clothing, patio furniture, motor oil and several varieties of peanuts and almonds in one place. I like that there are no NBA, NFL, or MLB teams up here getting corporate welfare stadium deals from the taxpayer. I like that there are numerous outdoor and hunting/fishing opportunities here. Only problem is Taco John's- that place sucks and I will miss Del Taco!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't you dare go talkin bad about TJs! We all grew up on Taco Tuesday specials, Potatoe Oles and the 6 pack and a pound up here in the upper mid-west, it was the number one thing I missed the years we lived in AZ.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I like Taco John's, better than Del Taco.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't care how much you like it and align with the folks up here... Talk about TJ's like that again and we might just kick you out!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't let 'em getcha down. Taco John's is bland garbage. Potato Oles are decent, but everything else?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By donbcivil:

We are wondering about places with non-left politics, friendly people and places to be active outdoors. I have been a match shooter off and on for years and hope to eventually get out hunting! Also interested in recommendations for state shooting and gun rights organizations.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Don
View Quote

What others are say about west river being more red is true but it also has way less people and better hunting unless you hunt waterfowl.   The only down side I see to west river (I live in Sioux Falls the biggest city in the state and the city itself is purple at best)  is if your a match shooter depending what you shoot there may not be much for matches.  The most active USPSA club is just out side of Sioux Falls and the second is only about 30 miles from SF.  There is a club in the northern hill but they dont run as many matches.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#13]
There's 4 different areas of the state: West River, East River, Sioux Falls, The Hills

The Hills is filled with weird ass hippies and Patagonia yuppies. It skews just as left as Sioux Falls with its Karen's and do gooder leftists.

What's left are different flavors of the same rural popsicle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
There's 4 different areas of the state: West River, East River, Sioux Falls, The Hills

The Hills is filled with weird ass hippies and Patagonia yuppies. It skews just as left as Sioux Falls with its Karen's and do gooder leftists.

What's left are different flavors of the same rural popsicle.
View Quote

If you are talking about the Black Hills as the The Hills, your assessment is not accurate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

If you are talking about the Black Hills as the The Hills, your assessment is not accurate.
View Quote

I am talking about the black hills as that. Its far more left leaning than the area that surrounds it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#16]
I guess you and I will disagree.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#17]
He's not wrong about the weird-ass hippies and crazy mountain folk though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Dog] [#18]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
He's not wrong about the weird-ass hippies and crazy mountain folk though.
View Quote

I spend quite a bit of time up in the Custer area every year visiting family.  I'm not seeing these crazy mountain folk and hippies in the Hills....  though maybe they're talking about me.  

ETA:  I think I saw more Trump flags per capita in the Hills than anywhere else we traveled this past year.  And I don't remember seeing a single Biden Xiden sign or bumper sticker, even though I saw lots of New England area plates around the 4th and around the Round-Up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Rapid and spend a lot of time in the hills and I don't see the hippies either. But the Sioux Falls crowd knows best.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe when you don't live among them they're easier to spot? Mostly crazy mountain folk. Every single time I visit the Hills I run into them, mostly up around Spearfish.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Rapid and spend a lot of time in the hills and I don't see the hippies either. But the Sioux Falls crowd knows best.
View Quote

If you spend time in the hills and don't see any hippies...you're the hippy
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By adversor:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adversor:

Not Likely
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Put the pitchforks away, I will give Taco John's another shot! I will be moving to my new home in Summerset in March. If I go hiking through the hills and woods, do I need to carry a gun for bear defense? If so, what type (revolver or rifle) and what caliber is best?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TrucksAndGuns:
Put the pitchforks away, I will give Taco John's another shot! I will be moving to my new home in Summerset in March. If I go hiking through the hills and woods, do I need to carry a gun for bear defense? If so, what type (revolver or rifle) and what caliber is best?
View Quote
Don't bother. TJ's is trash. No bears here but there are mountain lions out in the Hills. You're more likely to face a two-legged predator attack so any 9mm should do.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't bother. TJ's is trash. No bears here but there are mountain lions out in the Hills. You're more likely to face a two-legged predator attack so any 9mm should do.
View All Quotes

I have seen bear tracks deep in the hills. I wouldn't be concerned about them though. Pokey is correct, 2 legged predators are more likely.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I always feel best, with my S&W Trail Boss 44 Magnum, in the mountains!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Coming from someone who grew up in Sioux Falls, if you're into outdoor activities you're gonna want to be in the Black Hills. Better topography, weather, politics, and culture.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#28]
TJ's is not trash. It is the sunshine that warms your soul, the good you see and hear in the laughter of children. A beef meat and potato burrito add extra hot sauce is the nectar of the gods. Potato Ole's are an orgasm of flavor, the lure of them I could only compare to Sirens to sailors as I pass a Taco John's.

Anyone who disagrees is the type of person who is always constantly wishing SD has places that the market doesn't support, and somehow misremembers how good that place was. Like the guys who are always saying how great the stupid In and Outs were in California, or a gross ass Jack in the Box. It's like they had it once when they were drunk and stoned and it was the greatest thing ever and they'll put it on the pedestal the rest of their life while never giving local places a chance. Because they want to brag about being places and sound cool to people who have never had a In and Out.

Taco Johns kicks ass. The same guys who knock it are the same guys that travel somewhere else and talk about how great Taco Johns is to people who don't have it in their locality.  

Everybody loves it, but it isn't always popular to admit so. Nobody ever has said no to Taco Johns unless they are some flaming liberal vegan soy boi anti gun god hating son of a bitch.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RRANRA:
TJ's is not trash. It is the sunshine that warms your soul, the good you see and hear in the laughter of children. A beef meat and potato burrito add extra hot sauce is the nectar of the gods. Potato Ole's are an orgasm of flavor, the lure of them I could only compare to Sirens to sailors as I pass a Taco John's.

Anyone who disagrees is the type of person who is always constantly wishing SD has places that the market doesn't support, and somehow misremembers how good that place was. Like the guys who are always saying how great the stupid In and Outs were in California, or a gross ass Jack in the Box. It's like they had it once when they were drunk and stoned and it was the greatest thing ever and they'll put it on the pedestal the rest of their life while never giving local places a chance. Because they want to brag about being places and sound cool to people who have never had a In and Out.

Taco Johns kicks ass. The same guys who knock it are the same guys that travel somewhere else and talk about how great Taco Johns is to people who don't have it in their locality.  

Everybody loves it, but it isn't always popular to admit so. Nobody ever has said no to Taco Johns unless they are some flaming liberal vegan soy boi anti gun god hating son of a bitch.

View Quote

Totally Agree.
I like Taco John's, way better than the other's, like Taco Hell and Del Taco.
I am glad, they have one in Watertown, where I am moving next year!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: b_saan] [#30]

View Quote

Also, don't forget the green super hot sauce (aka puréed jalapenos) to dip the Ole's in!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Make me.

You could shove toothpicks under my nails and I still wouldn't like Taco John's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Isn't there an old Nike missle site north of rapid? I'm out and about and was thinking about taking a look at it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Are you talking about the old Minuteman missile sites?

The visitor center is out by Cactus Flats (interior exit) and the tour of the facility is back west a bit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074] [#36]
Isn't there an old Nike missle site north of rapid? I'm out and about and was thinking about taking a look at it.
View Quote

Minuteman Missile National Historic Site https://goo.gl/maps/8XSNtWLXFEw5pjDE8

Minuteman Missile Visitors Center (605) 433-5552 https://goo.gl/maps/i8ATVSgUAn3Kmzzt5

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Yes there is. It is all but gone. The housing remodeled, nothing of the military left at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#38]
So getting back to South Dakota, as a place to live.
Yes, do it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Minuteman Missile Visitors Center (605) 433-5552 https://goo.gl/maps/i8ATVSgUAn3Kmzzt5

View All Quotes

Different systems
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dugedug] [#40]
There are a few MAFs (Missile Alert Facilities) for the MMIII that are still standing. There is one (Kilo -1) north of Spearfish on 85 just off the highway a few yards that I passed by a couple years ago. I thought the sign said it was a school or daycare or something... lol. I was the primary program manager for the MMIII LCCs from 2014-2018. The deputy ICBM Systems Directorate commander was a former missileer for Echo-1 site out by Kadoka. I made his day when I put the old South Dakota Missile Wing site map up in my office...

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#41]
There's also an old missile launch site south of Rapid on 79.  It maybe 5 miles south of Hermosa, on the east side of 79.  The road is county 7, but it's also called Missile Rd.  

I drove out there one time, but the locked gate and no trespassing signs kept me honest.  It's not a Minuteman site and it's not a Nike Site.  And I'm pretty sure it's not a Titan site.  Anyone know what it is?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#42]
South Dakota, was ranked, the Number 1 Retirement State in the Country, in 2018.

And I believe, 2 other times, in the last 10 years!

Starting my home construction this year, on my 2 acre lot!
I am doing a Geo Thermal HVAC system,  85% efficient wood stove and hot tub.
Gonna be Good!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dugedug:
There are a few MAFs (Missile Alert Facilities) for the MMIII that are still standing. There is one (Kilo -1) north of Spearfish on 85 just off the highway a few yards that I passed by a couple years ago. I thought the sign said it was a school or daycare or something... lol. I was the primary program manager for the MMIII LCCs from 2014-2018. The deputy ICBM Systems Directorate commander was a former missileer for Echo-1 site out by Kadoka. I made his day when I put the old South Dakota Missile Wing site map up in my office...

https://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/upload/44th-Missile-Wing-Map.png
View Quote

Thanks for posting that. I have a larger one of the region but nothing up close

Most of the state is being flooded with people right now.  Real estate both east and west river is in high demand with low inventory. Expect to make offers fast and above asking.

My realtor mentioned alot of west and east coast people moving here now that most work remote. Hope it doesnt crap up like Colorado and parts of Montana.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Today I signed the closing paperwork and got a copy of the deed-I am now officially a homeowner in South Dakota. Moving all my shit from Nevada to South Dakota sucks major ass! Two of my neighbors already came by to say hi, something that rarely happens in the Las Vegas area. Just like the previous poster said, the SD real estate market is a seller's one right now, offers at or below asking ain't making the grade right now. I got my home for 7K over asking and was happy to get it. The house went on the market on a Wednesday and I beat out the other offers and got it on Thursday, a grand total of one day on the market. New construction homes get sold before they are even built. I just need to go back to pick up my 4Runner and the last of my crap then I officially give Nevada guvnah king buttfuck the finger one last time!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#45]
@TrucksAndGuns  Glad it all worked out for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Thanks man, appreciate it. You have no idea how happy I am to be living my dream of leaving Las Vegas for good. Now I need to find a piece of land to use as my own personal range.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Welcome! Don't bring any leftist shit here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

You don't have to worry about me, my parents were politically to the right of Genghis Khan, so they raised me the old school 'Murican way. The Dakotas, Wyoming, etc. are the last sane parts of the US left. I moved to a small town just outside of Rapid City for the slower pace of life than Las Vegas, NV. All you locals have no idea how bad and fucking stupid the blue states and cities are doing, and this covid19 shit just cranked up the urban assfuckery times 100. Moving up here had always been my retirement dream 15-20 years from now. My mom dying in 2018 and leaving me the resources to do this and the covid19 pLandemic bullshit convinced me to move up my timeline to ASAP. It may sound quaint and cliche, but it is nice to have neighbors who come say hi to the new resident moving in, seeing kids playing in the street instead of committing crimes because they are raised right, having a smooth hassle free transaction at the city administration office, etc. I am already thinking about getting a foot pedal kayak and a mountain bike to take advantage of the outdoor recreation opportunities here. The west coast can eat shit and choke on a fat stiff one for all I care.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#49]

You don't have to worry about me, my parents were politically to the right of Genghis Khan, so they raised me the old school 'Murican way. The Dakotas, Wyoming, etc. are the last sane parts of the US left. I moved to a small town just outside of Rapid City for the slower pace of life than Las Vegas, NV. All you locals have no idea how bad and fucking stupid the blue states and cities are doing, and this covid19 shit just cranked up the urban assfuckery times 100. Moving up here had always been my retirement dream 15-20 years from now. My mom dying in 2018 and leaving me the resources to do this and the covid19 pLandemic bullshit convinced me to move up my timeline to ASAP. It may sound quaint and cliche, but it is nice to have neighbors who come say hi to the new resident moving in, seeing kids playing in the street instead of committing crimes because they are raised right, having a smooth hassle free transaction at the city administration office, etc. I am already thinking about getting a foot pedal kayak and a mountain bike to take advantage of the outdoor recreation opportunities here. The west coast can eat shit and choke on a fat stiff one for all I care.
View All Quotes

You can stay.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Thanks man, appreciate it. You have no idea how happy I am to be living my dream of leaving Las Vegas for good. Now I need to find a piece of land to use as my own personal range.
View All Quotes

Glad I could hook you up with a realtor make it happen without pain for you. Welcome to the free world.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top