Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2011 10:59:21 AM EDT
I just received a call today and was told I passed by background for a job as a police officer Not sure when they are going to want me there I'm calling the HR on Tuesday to see if there is any more paper work I need to get done. Any advice on the best way to take? It's going to be a 18 hour drive and I was looking to stop off at Sioux Falls for the night  then I can keep on 29 or go 90 to 50 then up to Fort Yates
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope you like it around these parts. That area you will be working is a shithole. Not trying to discourage you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hope you like it around these parts. That area you will be working is a shithole. Not trying to discourage you. Good luck.

The land or the people? Or both?
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No comment!
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No comment!

Come on you can tell me the truth!! I'm asking because I want to know! From what I have seen on Google Earth it looks like the land is nice better the IL!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Wherever you go the land is always going to be great.  One thing always seems to ruin it though and the world's full of 'em.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of poverty down there and all the good things that go with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I understand the people are not the best in these areas! If they where I would not have a job!

Quick question what is a good bank around that area?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to ND!

Hopefully you're prepared for snow.  and this:

But if you're comfortable with a rural lifestyle, no biggie.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Welcome to ND!

Hopefully you're prepared for snow.  and this:

http://www.mapofusa.net/us-population-map.gif

But if you're comfortable with a rural lifestyle, no biggie.

Nope if you look at that chart in Texas the southwest part where there is less then 1,000 people in county that has over 2,000 Sq miles thats where I use to work!

Loved it there!
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Welcome! Stay warm.

Where will you be living?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome! Stay warm.

Where will you be living?

I have been told that they have a gates housing on the res. I'm going to stay there for the time being family is not going to come up until summer the earliest. I get to make my call on Monday to HR and ask all these questions and more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]
So what is the best route up there? Also how is the weather around the end of Feb? Or I should say the roads?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Make sure you watch Thunderheart with Val Kilmer before you come up...
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL

I've got a couple freinds who are "rez cops" its a differant type of job but as long as you rember to cover your nuts you will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I've got a couple freinds who are "rez cops" its a differant type of job but as long as you rember to cover your nuts you will be fine.

Great another cop movie in an area I'm working. I hope this one is not as crappy as "No country for old men" I worked for that county for a few months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a bad movie. They used alot of locals around here to film it, EVERYONE had the comment "Kilmer's a prick in real life".
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Great another cop movie in an area I'm working. I hope this one is not as crappy as "No country for old men" I worked for that county for a few months.

No, it is a decent movie don't know how it is in the eyes of a cop though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have any advice on what route is best to take from Sioux Falls SD?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone have any advice on what route is best to take from Sioux Falls SD?

yes,

I-29 N to Summit Exit.

Hwy 12 West to Aberdeen.

Stay on 12 West to Mobridge. and then across the river to 1806

1806 North to Ft. Yates
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy cow, I heard people were getting desperate for jobs... but damn!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's better then where I'm at now! Finding a job in IL is not easy I could not even land a job with a security company in the area I'm at. Also this is a Fed job have a lot of places open to me in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's better then where I'm at now! Finding a job in IL is not easy I could not even land a job with a security company in the area I'm at. Also this is a Fed job have a lot of places open to me in a few years.

Good luck, personally I'd rather be unemployed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck, personally I'd rather be unemployed.

Been there for a year and a half trust me it's not that much fun having to struggle every month just to make sure ends meet. Have my wife work a lot of overtime each week and her never getting to see her family. Having arguments once a month about money and the area we are in. This job is not that bad had worse as I was in the Marines from 2002-2006 did three tours in Iraq and when I was back stateside doing 3 out of 4 weeks doing field ops and the one week you are not out in the field your working from 6am to 11pm/.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top