Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2006 6:44:56 PM EDT
I'm proud to say i'm leaving the desert heat of AZ and heading back north and need some local information on Sioux Falls.  I will be working downtown near the Sioux Valley Hospital so if anyone could answer hte below questions it would really help me out.

First of all, could someone please inform me what part of town is nice, middle of the road, and places where a middle class single guy would not want to be??

Second,  could someone identify a few apartment complexes that are in a good part of town that are an easy commute to the downtown area???

Thirdly,  where are all the good shooting ranges at???

Finally, anything else i need to know as i'm looking forward for the slower lifestyle and a smaller city after being in the rat race in phx for several years....

Thanks so much, now just gotta get stuff packing as im rolling out in three weeks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
If your working in down town the east side would probly be closer but the closer you get to SVH the better the west side would be IMHO.

As to #2 how much do you want to spend??

I shoot at bechrest and really like it and its only 50 a year after your 1st year.

Also dont forget to get your CCW permit 10 bucks and 7 days after you become a resident.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#4]
As someone who lives right by SVH at the moment and as someone who's lived elsewhere and worked downtown, I offer the following advice.  

The area direclty north of SVH, actually north of 15th Street, east of Western Avenue, and west of Minnesota Avenue, is a rough neighborhood and has a majority of the crime.  South of SVH, you  find the Univeristy of Sioux Falls and Augustana College, so the majority of those homes are rentals and depending on the particular block, dumpy and unkept.  There are also some very nice home mixed in.  The whole area between approximatley Minnesota Avenue, 33rd Street, Western Avenue, and Russell Avenue is an interesting mix.    

Getting downtown from the east side or west side is actually six of one, half dozen the other as both are going to be about the same, although coming from the eastside will give you a few more routes to take.  I would recommend looking south.  There are a few very nice apartment complexes south of 57th Street.  One in particular is Lyncrest Apartments, which is a bit off Minnesota Avenue.  Ultimately, it will depend on how much you want to spend.  Meltdown has it right in pointing you to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader website for some direction and phone numbers.  You might also be able to check the KELO TV website as I think they might also have some links.  Also, the south side it really growing.  You'll be close a lot of parks, it's easy to get to the Mall, lots of restuarants and bars, fitness facilities, the movie theaters, it's easy to the Gary's Gun Shop (the indoor range), and it's close to the Interstate.  

My wife and I are going to be moving soon and we're going to be looking down there.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Move to the country
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information so far everyone.

I am looking at spending a maximum of $800 a month on rent.  I have been looking at possibly renting a house or a condo with an attached garage for the convienence of it all.

I have found a few condos that seem nice around 26th st and southeastern and was told this was a pretty good area so what say you ARFCOMMERS; good area or waht??

I have also found a few houses on the west side around "webster grove" so hows that area??

Would you consider the above two locations in the "right" parts of town or should i just start looking strictly on the southside??

Secondly,  if anyone knows of a decent house or condo (with attached garage if a condo) in my price range let me know I'm an excellent tenant... :)

Thanks so much for the assistance.  The first thing i plan on doing when i get there is to get my CCW and will be ok during the transistion as my AZ CCW is good there as well.

Thanks for helping me with this...
Link Posted: 9/1/2006 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2006 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
for 800 bucks a month you should be able to find a small house on Menlo Ave or such to the south and walk to work.

26 & SE is a nice area, though.

I concur.  $800/month will easily get you into almost any rental whether it's a home, condo, or apartment.  That's almost verging on house payment.  If you can, I would just spend a bit more a month and buy a house.    

I need some clarification.  Are you working at SVH...if so, at the main campus or at the SVH clinic or service facility Downtown?  The SVH main campus and the DT area are not close to eachother.  

You can find a nice rental home around SVH, but I would look in any direction but north of the hospital.  Also, as I've said, it's really hit and miss when finding a place that encompasses everything I would want....nice neighbors, decent home, quiet neighborhood.  Also be aware that SVH is gobbling up a lot of homes direcetly to the west for expansion.  

I would still try to look south.  IIRC, there are a number of new or newer twin home/condos.  There are also a lot of very nice apartment complexes garages, some  with underground garages in fact.  After moving from an apartment south of 69th Street into central SF to live in my wife's rental, I really miss it.  The only reason we did was to get into a house and she was adamently opposed to living in an apartment and she also works as SVH which was convenient for her.  However, it was very covenient for me living on the south side as almost everywhere I go is just off 41st Street or Minnesota Avenue.  I've also found that it was much easier to access to the Interstate.    

Link Posted: 9/1/2006 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
for 800 bucks a month you should be able to find a small house on Menlo Ave or such to the south and walk to work.

26 & SE is a nice area, though.

I concur.  $800/month will easily get you into almost any rental whether it's a home, condo, or apartment.  That's almost verging on house payment.  If you can, I would just spend a bit more a month and buy a house.    

I need some clarification.  Are you working at SVH...if so, at the main campus or at the SVH clinic or service facility Downtown?  The SVH main campus and the DT area are not close to eachother.  

You can find a nice rental home around SVH, but I would look in any direction but north of the hospital.  Also, as I've said, it's really hit and miss when finding a place that encompasses everything I would want....nice neighbors, decent home, quiet neighborhood.  Also be aware that SVH is gobbling up a lot of homes direcetly to the west for expansion.  

I would still try to look south.  IIRC, there are a number of new or newer twin home/condos.  There are also a lot of very nice apartment complexes garages, some  with underground garages in fact.  After moving from an apartment south of 69th Street into central SF to live in my wife's rental, I really miss it.  The only reason we did was to get into a house and she was adamently opposed to living in an apartment and she also works as SVH which was convenient for her.  However, it was very covenient for me living on the south side as almost everywhere I go is just off 41st Street or Minnesota Avenue.  I've also found that it was much easier to access to the Interstate.    

I agree with everything your saying and I also feel the same way your wife does about apartments; i absolutely dispise them.  I hate walking gun cases out to my car in plain view of everyone and would rather have a place with an attached garage so things are less conspicuous.  As i have never been to Sioux FAlls i want to get a good feel for the city before i buy a home and at this point 800 a month is maximum i can spend until next june when i get a raise where upon i will start house hunting and have a good feel for where i want to live.  

To clarify, i will not be workign at the SVH but in the near vicinity and so i just used the hospital as a reference point as i was confident everyone would know where that is located.  

If anyone knows of an apartment complext that has attached garages let me know.  Or if anyone knows of any one i can contact to get listings and pictures of available condos or houses in the area i would greatly appreciate that.  I have looked at a few of the rental websites online but they are pretty scarce and also lacking pictures which is pretty critical to me as i want to have some idea what i'm getting into.

Unfortuantley my move came at short notice and i'm needed at work there ASAP so i have to do all of this site unseen so i'm just trying to find a place that is not an apt complex (unless theres attached garages) in a good area near stuff to do.

Thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it.  When i get to sioux falls i am willing to buy a beer for everyone to get to know fellow arfcommers :)
Link Posted: 9/1/2006 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Sioux Falls Rent Search

Argus Leader

Sioux Land Rent

Sioux Falls Rental

Sioux Falls Apartments

These sites should get you started.  For more, just do a Google search for Sioux Falls housing, rentals and/or apartments.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2006 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Well after researching this topic for the past few weeks i have taken your guys recommendations and am just going to rent an apt for a few months and purchase a home.  For the price of renting a home or condo i can just buy so i have an apt all set up on the southside and will get there and start the great house hunt...

It will definitely suck moving into a home in the winter time but i just cant see paying rent and not getting anything back.

Thanks for everyones advice and I will be in Sioux falls in 2 weeks and a half weeks. :)

Take it easy!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Along the same line are there any FFLs in the Sioux Falls area that will do transfers?   I might be moving that direction in the near future and I was just getting ready to put a DSA STG58 on order.   10-12 weeks might mean I am in SD/IA area by then.

Thanks  

Link Posted: 9/9/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Along the same line are there any FFLs in the Sioux Falls area that will do transfers?   I might be moving that direction in the near future and I was just getting ready to put a DSA STG58 on order.   10-12 weeks might mean I am in SD/IA area by then.

Thanks  

Ace hardware is the cheapest. 15 bucks last I knew.

Thanks for the info meltdown.   I think I will go ahead and put it on order.  

On another note, what does the housing market look like south of Sioux Falls?  Many houses availble with land(2 or more acres)?   The wife and I are not much for living in surburbia.   I might be working in Sioux Center IA and she would probably end up around Sioux Falls so somewhere inbetween on the SD side.    
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks.   That is a nice site for real estate.    

Quoted:
GlocksareGood,
I don't know about rural south. Maybe around Bridgewater.
I'd use a map and this website to get an idea of what's out there:
www.siouxfallshomeview.com/default.aspx
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top