Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 3:32:01 PM EDT
We are looking at going to Deadwood, SD in may. Is there anything to do or see that is gun related around there. Is there any shooting I can do??

Thanks
Flame
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Good question.. Black Hills has a ton of gun people but you never hear about where they shoot.. In the hills it's not quite like it is out on the tundra (Buffalo County) where you just go out in the country and "Start Blastin"..

Id call the chamber of commerce and ask.. they'll probably fall all over themselves to find you a place to go shoot or set you up to tour something gun related like Dakota Arms or Corbon.

Deadwood Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau
767 Main Street
Deadwood, South Dakota 57732
1-800-999-1876

Spearfish is a couple miles north, Spearfish Rifle & Pistol Club has a 200 yard range. I've never shot it.  605-642-4093

If you want to wander all the way to Rapid City the National Guard range it's kind of open to the public, they have a 300 yd rifle range.. I've never shot it..  Try 605-399-6703 and see what happens..

Call 605-348-5150 and see if you can tour the Black Hills Ammo in Rapid.

Call 800-626-7266 and see if you can tour the Corbon facility in Sturgis.

Call 605-347-4686 and see if you can tour Dakota Arms in Sturgis.

Hope that helps..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats great. Thanks for the info. This is just the sort of thing I was looking for. I did not in fact know that stuff was there.

Since you mentioned shooting, I wonder if there is any places just to shoot. I have yet to shoot very long ranges. (400+) I would love to just try sooting some rocks at distance or something.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Where you will be at, the Black Hills, 400 yard shots would be hard to find.. the closest I can think of is at the National Guard range in Rapid...

If you were to travel .. almost 300 miles east.. to the "hinterlands".. there are places you can see and shoot for 15-20 miles if you had a gun that could do it (and the land owner would let you)....... like the Ree Hills above Ree Heights.. I swear I can see Faulkton from there on a clear night... But that's whole "different" South Dakota from where you will be...

Best just to ask the Deadwood Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau where you can shoot.. I'd be suprised if they couldn't come up with something..
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello,

You could try praire dog shooting, theres plenty of them near Rapid City and long shots are sometimes the norm.  Ask around when you get there and somebody will point you in the right direction, guaranteed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top