Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 10:40:52 AM EDT
Hello all. In nine months I have the privilge to moving to the great state of South Dakota. Uncle sugar finnaly granted me one of my choices on my Dream sheet (Ellsworth was #1) Any good info on the Rapid City area would be helpful. Iam native Texas but Iam in a need for a change of pace and weather (the humidity is killing me). So again will be seeing all soon.

Heath
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to SD.  The Black Hills offer a wealth of opportunities including skiing, hiking, biking, hunting and fishing.  The southern Hills are beautiful with Custer State Park, the Needles Highway and Mt Rushmore. The northern Hills have Spearfish Canyon, the fish hatchery and many lakes and streams.  Rapid City is a friendly city with a lot going for it. The northern hills have BHSU with concerts and sporting events.  Depending on your interests you can find just about anything you'd like in western SD.    If you come east you can enjoy pheasant hunting, whitetail deer and much more.
It may be a bit cooler than in Texas but you'll get used to it.  When it gets -20 F and the wind is blowing 30mph + just button up your flannel shirt, put another log on the fire and enjoy the splendor of nature testing your resolve!

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I grew up west river in wonderland homes by blackhawk. now i live in SF!

I would say for a outdoorsman, Its a great place to have a little city life and a little outdoors all within a hour (depending on how deep in the woods you like) if that drive to peace.

I liked it a lot b4 i moved. The only thing is the tourists! AHHHHHHH

damn i dont miss the west side!  and btw....no matter where in SD you are, it still gets humid (its a different kind tho) and it gets COLD AS FUCK!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a link for the newspaper in Rapid
www.rapidcityjournal.com/
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. Is there a lot of places to shoot by Rapid City? BLM land or is it mostly only shoot at ranges? I've been watching your wheather and you really dont have humitity. Down here we are running at about 95* and about 90% humitity. Dont mind the cold I just wanna see 4 seasons. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you a drill at Lackland?

good luck at 4 seasons up here in rapid, we have winter and tourist season only.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, we call'em Millitary Training Instuctors(MTI). Got about 9 months left out of a 4 yr tour. Its been a great job but Iam ready to return to the "real" air force. Yea I though about the winter and Iam ready. Spent 4 yrs in N. Japan. We use to get about 175" of snow a year, and me and the family enjoyed it. Got some friends up at Ellsworth and they like it. Is the ourist really that bad?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
No its not that bad really, just windy.  I was first stationed here in 86, got out in 95.  Been here pretty much ever since.  Nice, wide open spaces, shall issue, great hunting.

Know Rob Granum?  He used to be one of my old buddies up here, he is doing the DI thing now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]

No its not that bad really, just windy. I was first stationed here in 86, got out in 95. Been here pretty much ever since. Nice, wide open spaces, shall issue, great hunting.

Know Rob Granum? He used to be one of my old buddies up here, he is doing the DI thing now.

Name does not sounds faimilar. What Sq does he work at. I just started working out at Warrior week in July so Iam sure I have met him. We deal with everybody's flight out here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Moving from TX to SD...  

Here's the offical welcome to South Dakota Pix... - Christmas 2000

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top