Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 1:58:59 PM EDT
Hi all,
I will driving to Rapid City tomorrow from the St. Paul area of MN.  As far as i can tell from the official South Dakota website, I can have a loaded gun in my truck without a permit as long as it is at least partially visible.  Does wedged between the 60/40 front seat in a holster count?  What do I do when I stop for gas?  Do I then need to unload it and lock it up when I go in to pay?  Boy I sure wish my goofy state(MN) would sign some reciprocity agreements so Minnesotans could carry somewhere else...  Any info greatly appreciated.

Erud
P.S. I did check packing.org as well as the SD website, but couldn't get much clarification for non-residents....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi all,
I will driving to Rapid City tomorrow from the St. Paul area of MN.  As far as i can tell from the official South Dakota website, I can have a loaded gun in my truck without a permit as long as it is at least partially visible.  Does wedged between the 60/40 front seat in a holster count?  What do I do when I stop for gas?  Do I then need to unload it and lock it up when I go in to pay?  Boy I sure wish my goofy state(MN) would sign some reciprocity agreements so Minnesotans could carry somewhere else...  Any info greatly appreciated.

Erud
P.S. I did check packing.org as well as the SD website, but couldn't get much clarification for non-residents....

South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks once told me over the phone, and this is verbatim, "your hunting license is your permit to carry in South Dakota".

I think what they are saying is that a non-resident general hunting license will cover just about everything in South Dakota if you're really worried about it.

In reality, If you’re licensed in MN I doubt that any SD cops will say anything if it stays in the truck.

I’d get an out of state general license anyway.. just in case you want to hammer a coyote on the way to Rapid.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Watch out for the Cabelas at Mitchel. It is a major stop off point for camoed hunters and fishermen of all types.
2. Don't draw down on the jackalope in Wall, SD.  It looks dangerous but is mostly top-heavy and can only run straight forward with its head down. 1 shot 1 kill.
3. Avoid popping off a few rounds around Box Elder. The AF guys in the B-1's are a little cranky now that the Base Closure Commission has its sights on Ellsworth AFB.
4. Welcome to SD and have a nice stay!  You missed the Rally and can now actually see the sights without the long lines and the noise.
5.  Gas is $2.70 in the Hills

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.  I got up early this morning and decided to do the whole trip at once.  Left the Twin Cities at 4:09 am and just got back at 11:25 this evening - 1200 miles in 19 hours, yeehaw!  Kept the pistol in plain view between the seats - didn't see any LE's that were interested anyway.  I'll have to come back through sometime when I have time to see the sights.  I was tempted to stop and check out the "Greatest show on H2O" in Sioux Falls, but was already 15 hours into the drive at that point and wouldn't have made it back tonight if I stopped.  Got soaked for $2.86/gallon for regular at the BP on the edge of the Badlands loop - they must have seen me coming.  Oh well

Erud
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  I got up early this morning and decided to do the whole trip at once.  Left the Twin Cities at 4:09 am and just got back at 11:25 this evening - 1200 miles in 19 hours, yeehaw!  Kept the pistol in plain view between the seats - didn't see any LE's that were interested anyway.  I'll have to come back through sometime when I have time to see the sights.  I was tempted to stop and check out the "Greatest show on H2O" in Sioux Falls, but was already 15 hours into the drive at that point and wouldn't have made it back tonight if I stopped.  Got soaked for $2.86/gallon for regular at the BP on the edge of the Badlands loop - they must have seen me coming.  Oh well

Erud

Next time ... get an out of state General Hunting License and take the west bound back roads that run on the south side of highway 14... You'll get at least one 'yote between miller and pierre and a bunch of pdogs... make it a hunting trip...

Here's what you find 5 miles south of ree heights...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top