Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2003 5:43:31 AM EDT
I know that guys aren't about to give up prime prairie dogs towns that they've found, but I would appreciate information on where I might find good areas to look. I went to SW South Dakota and a had a great time, but I think that there are better prairie dog towns yet to be found.  I'm not too keen on hunting any more Indian reservations just yet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There are dog towns south of Mandan ND.

A guide has alot of this property leased for prairie dog hunting. It is possible that some of this land is on the reservation, as 30 miles south of Mandan is the Standing Rock Indian Reservation.

The before mentioned guide is a white guy, if it matters. I see him in town once in a while.

If you want I can find you some contact info on this guide at one of the gun shops.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I still can't get over the fact that people are paying to hunt PD's.. Your doing the rancher a favor for crying out loud.
RN45.. There should be plenty of people who will let you hunt there land without paying. If they ask you for some money tell them "politely" to F off!
Just remember that to tread lightly and clean up after yourself when your done and you shouldn't have any problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
One would think that the owners of the prairie dog towns would welcome a prairie dog hunter with open arms.  The land owners are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of thier real estate.  For most of them it is their bread and butter. Land owners charge fees for hunting birds and big game.  I guess the prairie dog town owners just want thier piece of the pie.

Many land owners are of the consensus that if one has the finiancial backing to drive or fly a thousand miles to hunt, then the hunters also have enough money to pay the land owner a couple hundred dollars a day for hunting on his land.

Fee hunting is becoming a big business in North Dakota. Unfortunatually it is driving the cost hunting beyond the reach of alot of people.

I would have my ducks in a row before driving hundreds of miles on a hunting trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top